Archive for Monday, March 5, 2007

Apartment invasion scares students

Armed intruder enters women’s residence at The Hawker

March 5, 2007

Late-night invasion leaves questions of security

It's a lucky end to an almost deadly night as police respond to a home invasion call early Saturday morning at the Hawker Apartments. Enlarge video

Residents of The Hawker apartment complex are feeling a little less safe after a reported home invasion in the early hours of Saturday morning.

According to Sgt. Susan Hadl, Lawrence police were called about 3 a.m. regarding the presence of a man wearing a ski mask and holding a handgun in an apartment where four female Kansas University students were present.

The women in the apartment were able to isolate themselves in one room of the apartment, away from the suspect, police said.

The suspect left the apartment shortly before police arrived. It was not clear Sunday whether the suspect took anything from the apartment.

Devin Schuster, another KU student who lives at The Hawker, 1011 Mo., had heard about the incident by Sunday morning and was concerned.

"I kind of worry because we don't lock our doors very much," Schuster said. "I've been locked out of my apartment before and climbed up to my balcony and got in that way."

Schuster said the home invasion meant he and his roommates would be much more careful about locking their doors.

Robert Pulliam, also a KU student living at The Hawker, said he would have never believed such a violent attack could happen at those apartments.

"I still feel safe here, though. I don't think something like this will happen again," Pulliam said.

Pulliam, who always sleeps with a baseball bat by his bed, said the police woke him and his roommate Saturday morning, asking whether they'd seen any "suspicious activity." Pulliam said he hasn't noticed anything different in the past few days, but he did note that he thought the locks on the doors weren't very sturdy.

No arrest had been made as of Saturday night. Police did not return calls Sunday seeking additional information.

The suspect is described as a white male, approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall in his mid- to late 20s with either light green or blue eyes. He was wearing green pants with a black shirt.

Lawrence police ask anyone with information regarding the incident to call 843-TIPS.

Comments

compmd 7 years, 5 months ago

Could one of Devin's friends please slap some sense into him? Remind him that he lives in a city, and that not locking your doors is foolish and ignorant.

I'm honestly surprised there aren't more home invasions and burglaries in Lawrence. There are thousands of "helpless" college students and people who don't know how to watch out for themselves.

I wonder what the aparment management agencies do to help alleviate the risks of such crimes and how much they give a darn. My complex lost two sets of keys to my apartment over a month ago and still have not replaced my locks. They also have forced renovations taking place in everyone's apartments right now, and it creeps me out when I find a soda can or snack wrapper on my desk that isn't mine.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 5 months ago

You don't lock your doors? I cannot believe I just read that.

Sigmund 7 years, 5 months ago

Just how ere these four girls able to "able to isolate themselves in one room"? "Excuse us please Mr. armed and ski mask wearing intruder, we are all going to the bathroom together?" These young ladies should go immediately to the nearest Kwik Shop and buy lottery tickets, they are extremely lucky. One wonders if this perp has done anything like this before and if he chose this apartment at random? I would 'yes' in the first case and 'no' in the second.

redneckwoman 7 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Schuster 1. Dumb move not to lock your doors! 2. Dumber to broadcast it! 3. Even dumber to tell how to get in even if you do lock up!

imagold 7 years, 5 months ago

Addition to redneckwoman:

1. Especially dumb when the LJW is giving your address to both online and in print readers.

unite2revolt 7 years, 5 months ago

Green pants and only 5'7" any bets on whether under the ski mask he had red hair? Sounds like an early visit from the Lepercaun.

Centrist 7 years, 5 months ago

I've long argued that the 'media' gives out too much information at the wrong time, or in the wrong way.

Ok, 'freedom of the press', I hear you say.

Whatever - at least have the decency to keep it to a 'general area' ...

.. but what do journalists care. Print the address. Perhaps something really bad will happen and give them another 'story' to cover ...

hawklet21 7 years, 5 months ago

all i hear is "waaah, i'm an overprivileged kid who doesn't know how to take care of myself!"

Calliope877 7 years, 5 months ago

His parents must be so proud....

Harry_Manback 7 years, 5 months ago

My first apartment got broken into and a man watched my roommate sleep because she forgot to lock the back door. Someone else also watched a neighbor of my boyfriend's sleep because she forgot to lock her door. It is common sense, but a lot of students who just moved out for the first time (and many who have been living on their own for a while) still don't lock their doors. Being overpriviliged has nothing to do with it, it's usually just inexperience, immaturity or forgetfulness.

Harry_Manback 7 years, 5 months ago

Oh yeah, and my apartment complex refused to change the locks after the incident and told me I would be in violation of my lease if I changed them. There are quite a few inept, cheap landlords in this town. The next year someone got their throat slit there. Just glad I got out of "felony hoods" when I did.

leadrain 7 years, 5 months ago

MMMMMM! FULL MOON, TOO. SPOOOOOOOKY!!!

Ragingbear 7 years, 5 months ago

Many people do not realize that there are certain conditions that may allow you to replace your door lock, or at least add additional features to it in order to increase safety. However, rules of how to go about it, and things such as returning the apartment to the state you recieved it in are stumbling blocks. Call your local housing authority, and speak with your landlord if you do not feel your place has adequate locks. If they are exceptionally shoddy, and you are forbidden by legal means to repair, upgrade, add anything or replace locks, then you have the right to file a complaint that can and will be investigated. Landlords have a responsibility to their tenents to make sure that certain basic standards are met. These include proper door locks.

Before you do anything, talk to your landlord and speak to the housing authority, lest you get in trouble for taking it upon yourself it install a 4 point deadbolt on your door.

budwhysir 7 years, 5 months ago

Um, lock yer doors, um might be safer, um just a thought

Duffman 7 years, 5 months ago

Paris Hilton - so like aaaa I don't remember but stuff was like takin and like a gun uhh or something!!???

Police man - So you were robbed?

PH - like yea.... like totally!!!!

PM - Did ya get a look athim?

PH - uh what? well like yea ......kinda short ...cute eyes uh green no no blue! Oh and a head thing... uh mask oh like a ski mask?

PM - Ok thanks we'll get him soon don't you worry...we'll b in touch

Hey Kids.....RENT A HOUSE and live as safe and as private as you like!!!! No wOrries !!