Archive for Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Yellow House owners arrested again

June 26, 2007

Yellow House owners arrested and charged

Yellow House owners Guy and Carrie Neighbors were arrested and charged today. This is the second arrest for the couple. Enlarge video

Two Lawrence business owners were arrested and arraigned in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Kan., after federal and local authorities arrived at their home Monday morning.

This is the second arrest for Guy Neighbors, 48, and Carrie Neighbors, 45, owners of the Yellow House Store, 1904 Mass. U.S. Postal Inspection Service and Internal Revenue Service agents are leading the investigation, authorities said Monday.

The couple had been arrested Dec. 12 at their home in the 1100 block of Andover Street on one count of possessing firearms while they "were unlawful users of a controlled substance."

The charge was dismissed in May, when prosecutors said they planned to follow up on additional evidence.

An indictment unsealed Monday from U.S. Attorney Eric Melgren's office revealed the latest charges against the Neighborses: Each faces one count of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana; one count of unlawful possession of a firearm by users of a controlled substance; and two counts of manufacturing marijuana.

According to the indictment, the crimes occurred between Feb. 22, 2002, and July 9, 2006, in Lawrence. A separate count seeks forfeiture of firearms, including 11 handguns, shotguns and rifles.

"This whole thing has been about firearms," Guy Neighbors said in a telephone interview after he and his wife were arraigned Monday. "From what I'm looking at, a lot of the charges are the same as what was on the original list."

If convicted, Guy and Carrie Neighbors each face a maximum penalty of 10 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000 on the firearms charges and a maximum penalty of five years and a fine up to $250,000 on each of the marijuana charges.

Jim Cross, Melgren's spokesman, would not comment on whether additional charges will be filed.

A hearing is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. Aug. 13 before Chief Judge John W. Lungstrum in Kansas City, Kan.

Comments

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

Marion that's the same jist I got from the people I talked to....

introversion 7 years, 6 months ago

I suppose the conspiracy to manufacture marijuana charge is in place because they allegedly actually planned to grow it, and then grew it, which is where the other two charges come from. I'd like to see how they make that stick... I suppose they don't apply the conspiracy charge to those folks who just come home to find that some marijuana plants and grow lights had fallen through the roof into the living room....

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

I really don't see how putting these two in jail will make the world safer. Aren't there bigger fish to fry such as gang members and trafficking rings? I really don't feel like going after these two was a good investment of my tax dollars.

freeordie 7 years, 6 months ago

These people have been HARASSED enough. Yeah, there real big time criminals. What a joke. Law enforcement had egg on its face for not busting the Neighbors' "big fencing operation" so they vindictively dog the couple until they find some B.S. RIse up against your Government. Let the people be free. The Neighbors aren't hurting anyone.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

That's right, because as we all know there are terrible gangs and trafficking rings around here for the Postal Inspectors and IRS to investigate.

Come on.

These people did something to piss off the wrong people, you don't know what, I don't know what. The Postal Inspection Service and IRS do NOT initiate investigation of drug and gun crimes at the federal level. That is done by the FBI and DEA. The investigation must have been about something completely different originally for these agencies to be running the show.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 6 months ago

Yes, the law is the law. My best guess is that the fencing charge will still be coming down the pipe. I believe they did buy and sell stolen goods. As for the marijuana...well if you are being investigated and you dont have the presence of mind to remove them from your house, I dont feel to sorry for you.

craigers 7 years, 6 months ago

Criminals are criminals. Put them in jail. "There are bigger fish to fry". Are you all joking. Growing, using, selling marijuana is a crime. Whether Lawrence thinks that weed users are friendly and non-harming criminals is beside the point.

freeordie 7 years, 6 months ago

Owning eleven guns is not illegal, nor does it insinuate violence. You are brainwashed. Owning guns under this regime is a good idea. THAT insinuates violence.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

You know how professionals hate to be wrong.

If they had any kind of evidence of fencing, they should have been able to prove it. But they couldn't, so I guess they figured they'd try and get them for anything else they could think of.

Come on. Enough is enough.

Termcd4 7 years, 6 months ago

OHMYGOSH! Leave these people alone for God's sake! They are both very nice, kind people, and do not deserve this treatment. We do have bigger crimes to bust in Lawrence. Who ISNT doing POT??? What a shame!

Kat Christian 7 years, 6 months ago

They just aren't going to stopped with these two until they shut down that store and take over tha property. I agree with you sourpuss - there are bigger fish to fry and what a waste of tax dollars. I guess the court system must be bored or something and this gives they purpose to exist - an easy target.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 6 months ago

"Who ISNT doing POT??? "

I'm not doing pot.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 6 months ago

"My best guess is that they found absolutely no evidence of any kind of fencing operation, and that ticked off the police."

I think you are wrong.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 6 months ago

Well, I'm not doing pot either, Yeti...

But I think the police and the feds could find better things to do with their time.

They're just ticked that they couldn't prove their previous case. So they decided to try and make the Neighbors' pay in any way that they could.

acg 7 years, 6 months ago

It appears to me that this is all about egg on their faces. The piggies, Local and Federal, probably don't care too much for the fact that the Neighbors have publicized their dispute on every conceivable forum they could find. They tried to bust them on fencing charges and couldn't, got them on pot and gun charges but had to dismiss them and they're probably pretty embarrassed. Now it almost seems as if it's all about payback. It's like they're doing everything they can to make something stick to these folks. Go chase rapists or murderers jerkoffs!

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

Okay, I'm not saying that IF the Neighbors did something wrong they shouldn't pay some sort of restitution, but 10 years in prision? Good god, THAT is expensive to lock up people that haven't actually physically or monetarily damaged anyone.

Notwhatyouthink, if your car hasn't been broken into, then clearly you don't know that the LPD will basically do just that - "Well, we'll take a report and if any of the goods come up at a pawn shop, we'll let you know." and you never hear from them. Why? Because your $200 in CDs and a $300 stereo just aren't important to the police. You file and insurance claim and that is that. Same with most accidents unless there is an injury involved. They don't whip out the CSI for most things, you know. It is practicality, and last time my car was robbed, I didn't bother calling the police because there was less than $50 loss/damage. I'm not going to bother them with something like that.

My point is this: We have FIXED law enforcement resources, and there ARE more DANGEROUS people in the world than the Neighbors. I, as a citizen and taxpayer, would much rather have law enforcement, from local to national, spend their time and money apprehending and convicting people who might actually do me or my loved ones harm, and I just don't believe the Neighbors will harm me. There.

Oh, I don't care if someone uses pot or not. Seems like their own personal businesses.

nekansan 7 years, 6 months ago

Let's not forget that when the original federal charges were dismissed it was specifically so that they could refile them at a later date. So anyone who believes this is harassment or unexpected has been misled.

Janet Lowther 7 years, 6 months ago

How the heck do you "manufacture" marijuana? The last I knew, marijuana, like wheat, corn and beans, was grown.

Our tax dollars (foolishly) at work.

craigers 7 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence: Where drug addicts and drug trafficing are low on our priority list. Why don't you all do your jobs and let the police do theirs?

And I don't do pot either term.

TtownKUlivin 7 years, 6 months ago

I won't forget about the article I read one day on Cnn.com, it was an interview with a retired DEA agent who was considered one of the best while he was in service. He stated that for one, marijuana should not have been considered such a big issue and a lot of agencies wasted a lot of budget hunting it down when most of that money should have been allocated towards more, other serious drugs. Such as cocaine, meth, ecstasy, etc. He was also in favor of making marijuana legal. Funny thing, I went back the next day to show a friend the article and it was NOWHERE to be found. Quit wasting money on silly investigations.

sourpuss 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm not saying little things don't matter, but there is also the security effect. When there is a big event in a town, like a big sporting event or celebrity/politician visiting that sucks off much of the city's law enforcement resources, property crime often spikes. I mean, of course you should wait to rob that convenience store when there is a big game because there will be fewer people to chase you down.

So if the police occupy themselves with broken windows, then they can't occupy themselves with the rapists and murderers. Police are a fixed resource after all, that is an easy concept to grasp.

Again, I just don't consider the Neighbors to be dangerous to me. I don't even consider them to be a "broken window," sorry.

sarahjlindsey 7 years, 6 months ago

By living in Lawrence Kansas USA you are agreeing to adhere to the laws of the land. If you don't like it you have some options--leave or actively protest the undesired law. Complaining, name calling, and pure speculation are only options because you are lucky enough to live in this land.

50YearResident 7 years, 6 months ago

I bet more serious charges will be filed. This can't be just for "Pot"

pelliott 7 years, 6 months ago

We really need a new chief of police. . He has made this personal, it isn't professional. it is like a cross between Clint Eastwood and Arnold Schwarzenneger. cold and sold. Who is next, anyone who doesn't understand he must do this to protect us? If he can't do his job, he is out of control, get someone else. The good officers flee, the bad ones that beat their wifes stay. They ones that intimadate victims, shoot dogs on sight, play with their guns are staying. New chief, clean house..

Keith 7 years, 6 months ago

If I remember correctly (not always true these days) there was some early noise about using ebay to sell suspect items. Hence the Postal Service Inspectors. If there was significant income derived from these ebay sales and no declared income, there's the IRS angle. The original charges were dropped I believe, because they worked up the greater charges in the second indictment. Time will tell.

TheOriginalCA 7 years, 6 months ago

WOW, I guess the US really IS growing more and more Liberal! Accountibility does not matter one bit in the minds of the Yellow House Sympathizers. I knew the very moment I read about Mary Anne being involved that the "Honk for Hemp" crowd would be all over this one.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 6 months ago

"Who ISNT doing POT???"

I'm guessing almost everyone you don't know.

"Aren't there bigger fish to fry such as gang members and trafficking rings?"

Of course, but we don't exactly have a home address and loads of evidence against those people. What do you think - that a person is a carpet cleaner one day and a drug lord the next day? Drug traffickers start out by growing a plant or two in their basement, then move up from there.

Where is our resolve? We want drug-free schools, but we don't want drug-free homes. We want drug free children, but we don't want drug-free parents. We need to choose: we either fight it, or we accept it. If we want the next generation to be drug-free, then we need to expect this generation to be drug free. This "turn a blind eye" approach we read on these forums speaks volumes about the complete lack of value systems in 21st century America.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Supposedly, some of the firearms in this case were actually in the NICS database of firearms used in crimes or stolen, that's not good. They will now have to prove where the Neighbors acquired the firearms, which will not bode well for the seller, 'cause you can't sell a gun to a felon or someone under criminal invesitgation. Investigators will certainly look into the timing here.

As for everything else, this has been the bouncing ball of charges. The authorities have brought charges to bear, but more serious charges, like the big fencing operation seem to have faded away. This is a very odd investigation.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 6 months ago

Manufacturing plants? I have never heard of that.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Manufacturing Plants? Well, Douglas County is trying to attract new industry, shouldn't the Neighbors be lauded if they were able to have numerous Manufacturing Plants at their residence?!

doc1 7 years, 6 months ago

Why does everyone seem to side with criminals in this town. Anyone have a good reasy too?

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Windlass, standing up is fine, but let's stand up for non-crimnals. A little or a lot, the Neighbors are guilty of something.

Jamesaust 7 years, 6 months ago

"Who ISNT doing POT???"

Pretty much everyone.

One would think that the drug laws were imposed by foreign occupiers rather than by overwhelming votes by the citizenry year-after-year.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

"Who ISNT doing POT???" Anyone who would make a comment like this does so much pot that there isn't enough for the rest of us.

Nikki May 7 years, 6 months ago

I have to say that I really like Guy Neighbors. However, I do think there was at least one (and apparently more than one) crime committed. That aside, I find it interesting that this is just now coming up. When they showed the different agencies on the news taking things from the house in the original investigation, they pulled plants out. On the news, you could see pot plants. No one mentioned them. I think the law enforcement people were just waiting on this one. I really think it was some measured thing on the cops side. They could have done all the charges at once. But, I think they wanted more than one trial so they could get them on "something". I am just wondering how they had a foster care license.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

Who ISNT doing POT??? What a shame!

Now that statement is a shame! In the real world, many, many, many people do not need pot to get them through their days/nights/lives.

Looks like a lot of people are turning out to say the Neighbors are such nice people. I can't decide if their defenders hate the police so much that they will take anyone's side against them, or if they are just trying to protect their source.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Windlass, I'm not sure where these masses of criminal offenders free in our society are, but it's a given, if you do a crime, you have a greater chance of going to jail than a non criminal. The rest of it is probably a lucky (or unlucky) draw in the criminal legal system. I don't think the argument of overlooking 'just a little crime' works. Firearms and illegal drugs were in their possession. Whether it gets better or worse for them, who knows, but the fact that they're guilty of something is quite obvious.

Ceallach 7 years, 6 months ago

Agreed, blue, I'm all for the innocent until proven guilty part. I just grew weary of reading posts in which the posters sets themselves up as the "deciderer" of which laws should just be winked away and which should not. Or they say, the Neighbors are probably guilty and something, I can't imagine how they were licensed to be around small children (paraphrased) but doggone it I like him.

Besides, for the first time in a month I actually have an entire hour for lunch. With so much time on my hands I'm bound to get into a little trouble.

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

Were they foster parents at the same time they were caught with weed and weapons?

esl03 7 years, 6 months ago

Doesnt one of the commentors work for the LJWORLD?

Confrontation 7 years, 6 months ago

Hey Dude (Freashpowder/a.k.a. child of the Neighbors)-Excuse me for assuming that guns are weapons. Since they were hunting guns, then there's no way they could be WEAPONS. Silly me.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Responsible Marion? For what? No one planted weed in the Neighbor's house but the Neighbors...er...well....you get my point. It is indeed strange, though, that they would be indicted for weed when they were (purportedly) running this huge fencing operation. You'd think that would be pretty easy to investigate. An odd investigation.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Smitty, if you take your hat off to the Neighbors, don't put it on their counter. They'll sell it online.

Tony Holladay 7 years, 6 months ago

Right or Wrong I am just sickened by the way Law Enforcement has been dragging these people threw the Coals before they have been convicted.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Another person at fault for their situation is their greasy lawyer that tried to use the defense that Lawr. PD officers impersonated FBI agents. I bet that's what set the LPD off. Once those charges were thrown out the arresting began.

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 6 months ago

Take another toke and go back to sleep, topcity.

MrMister 7 years, 6 months ago

Your right, owning 11 guns is not a crime. But being in possesion fo a gun (whether you own it or not) while being a "user of an Illegal controlled substance" is a Federal offence. In order to purchace firearms you must certify that you do not use controlled substances or the dealer cannot complete the transaction. If you falsely state that you are not a user, you leave yourself open to more charges.

JazzEgle 7 years, 6 months ago

I think the real problem with the Yellow house is the fact that is pretty much a fence for stolen goods

Flap Doodle 7 years, 6 months ago

"MrMister: you are retarted when you buy a (hand gun )" Ya want to put that in English for us?

purplesage 7 years, 6 months ago

I'm not doing pot - nor am I doing beer or whiskey.

The stuff (all of the above) is a problem. I don' t disagree that on the double standard. But then, there is the law. Whether you think it is right and consistent or not, marijuana is against the law - as were alcoholic beverages for a time during the last century. (And as I, for one, wish they still were.)

By and large, the authorities are chasing the wrong end of the problem. But, hey, the tail of the dog doesn't bite as hard as the mouth. They track down poor souls who are hooked and threaten them with ridiculous penalties and even more ridiculous charges (a drug tax stamp, e.g.) so they can threaten and intimidate them into rolling over on their friends and (maybe) a supplier.

The same people who were selling 25 years ago are still at it in many cases.

And, echoing a few others, just how does one "manufacture" marijuana? Grow it? Yes. Process it? Yes. Sell it. You know they do. But manufacture it? I don't get that one.

compmd 7 years, 6 months ago

Very good post, Keith. There are people on this board that would sooner forget about the points you raised.

Let's remember a couple things again:

The LPD is not particularly relevant in the case against the Neighbors now. This is a federal case, out of the hands of local law enforcement. Federal officials may seek the assistance of local officials if they want.

As I said before, the Postal Inspectors and IRS do NOT initiate investigations into drug and firearms violations. However, if in the course of pursuing an investigation into crimes involving the postal service and undeclared income/unpaid taxes and drugs and firearms are found, these officials can investigate. Just because one angle is being investigated does not mean that whatever completely different crime is uncovered doesn't matter. It will be investigated and prosecuted, just like it is being done here.

Windlass said:

"Understand something about me, which is that if the Neighbors are found to be guilty then let them do their time. But my overriding point has been that we do not haul off to jail every criminal that we DO know about. And it just seems to me that for as long as we are unable or unwilling to fill these penal colonies with ALL of the criminals that we know who are in our midst then we shouldn't be f** with a singled out few."

What I understand about you is that you're ok with the concept of a jury, but you do not recognize the judicial process. That seems rather paradoxical. In fact, in that paragraph, you allude to hatred of the judicial process: "...as long as we are unable...to fill these penal colonies with ALL the criminals that we know...we shouldn't be f** with a singled out few." How did they get "singled out?" Perhaps because there was evidence to charge and convict? Or are they "singled out" because they were convicted and others are not? And those criminals we do know about that aren't in jail, do you contend that they be imprisoned because you say so? Or that someone says so? What about the judicial process? What about the law? You (and others) are so quick to condemn people by the law yet so unwilling to abide by it and understand it yourselves.

And for the record, I'm not "doing pot" either.

TheYetiSpeaks 7 years, 6 months ago

freashpowder-

What exactly is it you are trying to say with that clip? Here's a tip: If you put a clip on the internet and want anyone to take it seriously, maybe get someone to proofread the subtitles...oh and have a point. You are obviously way too close to this situation to have a balanced view. The facts are thus: The Neighbors were in possession of guns and drugs...Thats a crime. Anyone who has lived in Lawrence for some time has heard people talk about Yellow House's dubious reputation long before this investigation came down the pipe. But thats just talk. However, anyone who has mingled with certain populations in this town knows that many of these suspect populations that would need money in any way possible will talk very freely about where they were able to sell their stolen goods with no questions asked...albeit for way less than money than if the goods were not stolen, because the purchasers of said items KNEW they were buying stolen property and knew they could make a tidy profit by shortchanging the crackf...er..seller/thief because they were in no position to haggle. As a postscript, I would just like to say that the people who are backing the suspects and bashing the police just because they have problems with authority are pathetic and dont deserve to have opinions.

bevy 7 years, 6 months ago

Ya'll don't know it, but this is just the bad karma the folks at Yellow House earned when they sold me a bum air conditioner with a "warranty", then refused to refund/replace it when it blew up the first time I plugged it in. Karma bites...

mutpuppy 7 years, 6 months ago

100 POSTS here and 84 POSTS on the original briefing...............

184 Posts

I guess Trinity was right : trinity (Anonymous) says:

i predict upwards of 150 posts.

yellowhouse 7 years, 6 months ago

A gag order was asked by Terra Morehead for but not gotten. It is clear that the gag order was to keep the truth away from the public!

The truth is the conduct of the Government in this case has been in violation of the color of the law, a violation of the Oath of office, has violated the Neighbors constitutional rights, and the latest statement by the Justice dept originally stating 2 counts of distribution was an out right bold face LIE! This lie was printed in the KC Star and Topeka cap. Journal! And originally aired on channel 6 news. An attempt to further discredit the reputation of the Neighbors accross the entire state of Kansas and within the Lawrence community AND RUN THEM OUT OF BUSINESS!.

These latest charges are to cover-up the fact that there is evidence missing (including guns) and in order to cover it up they need a forfieture of the guns. There is also a need right now to cover up the outrageous and illegal actions of the police during the course of this 2 year long million dollar unjustified investigation.

Eric Melgren's office has allowed themselves to be a crutch for a corrupt investigation that should have been shut down over a year ago.

YOU DONT HAVE TO BE A ROCKET SCIENTIST TO FIGURE THIS ONE OUT!!

matahari 7 years, 5 months ago

"Does a judge(fed or otherwise) have the authority to require futher investigation into the snafus?" Nothing worse than being put in front of a judge that has not had his breakfast~

coolmom 7 years, 3 months ago

i hope you folks who say such damaging and inflamitory things about the police never need them for gosh sakes how nasty and bitter can people be? if people were saying things with such venemence about you especially unsubstantiated things you would haul your spoiled rotten american butts down to the nearest lawyers office. take 911 off the phone you shouldnt use it. maybe you should check out a law enforcement citizens academy and get educated.