Lawrence and Douglas County

Lawrence and Douglas county

Police seize stolen items from store

Woman finds missing goods at Yellow House

July 9, 2006

Lawrence Police again confiscated merchandise from the Yellow House secondhand store, 1904 Mass., after hearing that a local resident found her stolen property there.

Police arrived at the store around noon Saturday and found assorted lawn and garden equipment that Lawrence resident Niki Christopher had reported stolen after a theft late last month.

"We found merchandise that we believe belonged to her," Police Sgt. Paul Fellers said at the scene.

It is at least the second time this summer police have been called to the store because merchandise reported stolen was found there.

The find also came just one day after federal agents and police officers served search warrants on the store in relation to an ongoing fencing investigation that surfaced last December.

Police have called sales conducted by Yellow House owners Guy and Carrie Neighbors a sophisticated fencing operation in which store employees buy and resell stolen goods at the store and through the online auction site eBay.

Saturday's search began after Christopher posted a request on the local chat site Larryville.com, asking that anyone with information about her stolen equipment contact her, she said.

Soon after, she heard that the equipment, including an electric saw and other lawn tools, were spotted at the secondhand store.

Both Fellers and Christopher said Carrie Neighbors, who was at the store on Saturday, was very cooperative and quickly turned over the merchandise.

"They were very nice," Christopher said of Yellow House employees.

Neighbors said some local roofers sold her the property after basically begging her to take the items.

"It was a pity buy," Neighbors said. "You can't trust anybody anymore."

Fellers said he did not have access to information about the marijuana seizure and could not comment.

Police conducted a similar search of the Yellow House store May 8 after a stolen air compressor found its way there.

That investigation included a search of financial documents and records associated with the ongoing fencing probe.

The Neighbors and their attorney, Sarah Swain, have accused the police department of violating their basic civil rights, and have said that eight months of searching without filing charges constituted harassment.

Swain and a private investigator also obtained at least one sworn affidavit claiming that Lawrence Police officers posed as FBI agents in an attempt to pressure people into selling stolen goods to the store.

The FBI cleared the police of all wrongdoing Friday.

Saturday, Fellers said the appropriate paperwork would be completed and possibly passed along to officers conducting the larger fencing investigation.

However, Fellers said he didn't believe the incidents were directly related.

Comments

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm, ok all you doubters, what do you have to say about this one?? I understand that they (Neighbors) were coopertive, but you'd think they would be a little more causious buying items while an investigation is going on. What the heck is a "pity buy"?? If thats all the excuse that they can come up with, thats not gonna cut it in court. Like I have said before they are innocent until proven guilty, but with the pot plants and now this coming out and the other law enforcement agencies getting involved, this is looking more and more like an issue to me.

Downtoearth 8 years, 1 month ago

The only way they could purchase goods without the dought that the goods were not hot is to have a original purchase receipt for the goods. Right! Most people will not have a receipt for the goods. Good advise is to ID your property when purchased. Scatch your initials somewere no body would every think to look.

Good luck!!!!!!!

Sandman 8 years, 1 month ago

Swain has been unusually quiet since the search warrant on Friday.

I think she's found her lies about the police fit about as well as her clothes.

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

I am going to have to make a trip down there to see if my stuff stolen last year is down there (over $1000 worth). I think it is a crime to possess stolen goods, but I doubt the IRS and US postal inspectors would be involved if this was just an ocassional occurrence.

michial2 8 years, 1 month ago

Again no charges filed!!This is LPD BS. The items were used and how would anyone know what is stolen or not? Without serial # I could walk through the store and then report something stolen to be found there.Not that this is what has happened.Yellowhouse are just people trying to make a living! Maybe if they were downtown the city would leave this local business alone or even protect them!They are not a fenceing operation. A fencing operation would not keep records of purchases. Why is the PD not going after the people who sold the stolen items to the Yellowhouse? Sounds to me like this would clean up crime in lawrence if you believe the LPD A (pity Buy) would be to purchase something you do not really want because the seller NEEDS the money.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 1 month ago

instead of nailing yellowhouse to the wall, use them to catch the people thieving....better cameras and a thumbprint like they use at dillons and other ways to id people. Being a store that buys merchandise they are bound to get something stolen once in a while,,,turning that into a positive would help catch more criminals then busting them everytime some thief sells them merchandise. i bet if they went through any pawnshops inventory right now they would find stolen items.

michial2 8 years, 1 month ago

Has any one noticed the ads the LJWorld has let on at the top of the responses? HYDROPONICS and then rehab They should be ashamed

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

smitty: I don't know who you are addressing, but I for one, am NOT a police officer. Just to set the record straight. So I don't have any answers for your questions. I was also wondering how pawn shops can develop a better way of purchasing items without knowing if the items are stolen. I don't know how that would work. But there has got to be a better way to cover your a$$. Like I said, "pity buy" or not. I think I would be a little more careful buying items since I was being "watch".

eskimopieinKS 8 years, 1 month ago

I think it's funny how someone posting as yellowhouse has for months preached chrisitanity, honesty, and said they are not involved in drugs because they have been foster parents, plus they said they do not buy stolen goods over and over. Then today-wham! stolen items and marijuana plants please don't post some self-serving poem trying to show how upstanding you are when SOMETHING ILLEGAL IS CLEARLY GOING ON whether the police press charges right now or not (it's called investigation) there is something wrong! and justifying it by saying it was a pity buy or the pot plants are small...that is just wrong the only thing she didn't say in this article that she usually says is that they are being targeted for being a bi-racial couple well guess what, when you are buying and possibly selling stolen goods, and are growing pot, you're going to get investigated and it has nothing to do with race

now I know some haters might jump on me but I am saying the same things that have been said on here for months

I am not saying throw them in prison and toss the key but something obviously is not right!

imho

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

I agree eskimopien!! Totally agree, something smells fishy here.

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

As for Swain's "affidavit", I think I may know why it wasn't taken seriously. Many affidavit's end with boiler plate language "Further Affiant Says Not", which is to indicate that what is being sworn is contain solely within the document and nothing more. However, this "affidavit" ends "Affiant Says Not" which clearly states that nothing in the document is being sworn to!

In fact, modern legal practice is to eliminate "Further Affiant Says Not" completely as it adds nothing to sense and can be confusing.

This affidavit where "Affiant Says Not" is nothing but a cheap trick to give the appearance that something is being sworn to when in fact NOTHING is being sworn to.

There are more than a couple of people very worried about this investigation. The Neighbors know alot about criminal activity in Lawrence and not just stolen goods. Once their computers have undergone forensic analysis (you would be suprised how many "deleted" items remain on a hard drive and/or in the swap file, after you empty the 'Recycle Bin'}, their accounts on eBay are examined (eBay keeps records virtually forever), and their email is looked through (all major providers keep voluminous backups going back years), I expect more than just the Neighbors to be charged.

When that happens, expect Swain and her bogus affidavit to disappear and the Neighbors to get a new attorney. Whoever reccommended Swain as the Neighbors attorney did them a favor, NAUGHT!

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

Ooops, it looks like the LJW removed the Swain affidavit. If I can find a new link I'll post it.

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

Here is the bogus affidavit .... http://media.ljworld.com/pdf/2006/06/yellowhouse2.pdf That is what I get for coping and pasting, sorry folks.

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

Here is the link to an explanation of "Affiant Says Not" for those that don't see real affidavit's alot. http://www.michbar.org/journal/pdf/pdf4article747.pdf

I do wish the LJW would add a "Edit Post" feature to this site....

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

Thats your brain on drugs! "I don't remember what day, time, name, blah blah blah.... I don't know what I did with the card." Yeah, she's is sooooooooooooo believable! What a joke.

eskimopieinKS 8 years, 1 month ago

smitty your post is so out there I cannot even believe you live on this planet I have seen several of the posters today on these boards for a long time=does not mean they're cops any more than you are a cop since you have been on here a long time get a grip on something other than your minute tool and join the rest of us in the real world

Also, I think this paragraph says it all: Neighbors also said police found two marijuana plants at her home during a search Friday. She said the plants were small and should not merit felony charges.

She has been posting for months, stupid poems, denials, denials, denials, now it's that SHE says the plants are small and should not merit felony charges

Just goes to show she lives in a fantasy world: I can buy and sell possibly stolen goods with no one the wiser, I can use ebay and the federal postal system with no one the wiser, I can foster parent kids and preach holier-than-thou christianity including poems that turn most people's stomachs, be investigated by the police and have records and goods seized over and over, but yet find a couple of my pot plants and do what I say which is not press charges because the plants are SMALL.

OMG!

I can't wait to see how this all shakes out! And I do not think it should ALL be on yellowhouse as far as, if you have the card you supposedly make people sign promising they are not trying to sell yellowhouse stolen goods, then turn them over to the police so they can get the people selling them stolen goods

Yellowhouse also is not a pawn shop, it is a secondhand store so I bet the police do not check their records of what has been sold to them every day like they do with pawn shops. Great loophole yellowhouse can fall right in to!

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

"Neighbors also said police found two marijuana plants at her home during a search Friday. She said the plants were small and should not merit felony charges."

but, so much for foster parenting.

dthroat 8 years, 1 month ago

Shouldn't do this but guess I will - in order to "educate" and not antagonize.

Smitty - No I am not LPD but used to be associated with LE when I was a younger person and some of the rules haven't changed.

Pawn shops DO sometimes get served with search warrants to get stolen items back. Most times the homes and computers are not because pawn shops DO NOT run an e-Bay business and sell things on the internet. (And probably to not grow mj in their basements.)

Pawn shops also maintain records of transactions and require ID from customers. Yellow House does not. They are not required to because they are not the same as pawn shops under city ord. I think they were asked to when they first opened years ago, but they would not do it. Why do you think some people go there??? NO ID = NO PROBLEMS later with LE.

And "redneck" - you have a good idea, but that takes records and cooperation of the business. And I know that info is gathered by LE from legitimate pawn shops.

And I think Sigmund is right - a lot of people SHOULD be worried about this investigation.

Hope this info helps.

eskimopieinKS 8 years, 1 month ago

that sucks Marion, and you are right, I think many peoples stuff is gotten rid of at flea markets and garage sales but most of the time it is traded straight to the drug dealer or pawn shop or in this case, yellowhouse

one thing we can do to protect ourselves is something your homeowners/renters insurance recommends: videotape the contents of your home.

I do keep the receipts of my major appliances and buys such as furniture, $130 gas grill, lawnmower, big tv, etc. They are in the fire safe I keep in my garage, and the videotape is in the safety deposit box at the bank

I have tried to protect myself against theft also by chaining said grill to house and just keeping my house locked up in general.

I hate that we even have to live that way today, because I grew up in a small town and we left our cars and houses unlocked

there were not gangs of thieving local roofers driving around looting power tools and yard stuff so we thought we were safe

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

You want to know how many thefts occurred last year alone in Lawrence? Here is a summary of those that were reported to the Lawrence police.

If the Neighbors facilitated this they were making a living supporting criminals stealing from your fellow citizens. Honestly, I hope they spill their guts about what they know, have their business siezed, lose custody of their foster kids, and do significant jail time.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

Marion I hate to break it to you, but some of us DO actually keep every receipt. To imply that I don't and if I say I do I'm a liar? I am afraid you are wrong. I keep every receipt. Call me compulsive, but I do. I don't have way too much on my hands, I am just organzied.

I think that doing a garage sale, etc. can't compare with a person who is trying to do business buying and selling items. I think they have a personal responsibity to be wary of items they buy. Thats their livihood. I know I wouldn't want to chance it and have the possible risk of being investigated.

Sigmund 8 years, 1 month ago

Many people DO register their purchases, including the serial numbers, with the manufacturer for purposes of warranties. In the digital age it is trivial for those numbers to be tracked. I don't care who has my stolen stuff, it's mine and I AM GOING TO WANT IT BACK.

A theif has no title to stuff he steals from me and if you bought my stolen stuff listed in a police report it is still mine and I will get it back. Good luck trying to get your money back from the criminal who sold it to you.

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

usually serial numbers are also recorded on the warranties sent in post-purchase (which also requires the store and date information, as well). generally, i staple my receipt to the instruction booklet and warranty information before i file it away. it doesn't take much.

i particularly enjoyed your garage sale parallel, marion. i'm sorry, but i think if someone's selling a household's worth of electronics every weekend (much less with a storefront and regular business hours), someone's going to notice.

this case just screams not-so-bright. at this point, it's not looking pretty for our token (or tokin') poet.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

enforcer, they showed on the news that there were the appropriate lights, etc. that is needed to grow that type of plant. So it really looks like they knew what they were doing. And Carrie didn't deny it, just stated that it was so small it didn't warrant a felony charge. I don't think the foster system is gonna be none to thrilled knowing one of there foster parents is growing pot. So that is going to be another agency "investigating" them.

dthroat 8 years, 1 month ago

Where have all the poems gone????????

And no "insider" comments????????

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

I said before I don't have a theory on their guilt or not. But the way it's starting to look, it's not helping their case. I don't wish her to get her kids taken away and it's not my place to determine if she is still a fit mother. I was just making the point that the foster system might not like that kind of information.

bizarre 8 years, 1 month ago

smitty you made a good point, just last month over 10 stolen items were taken from the pawn shop (a matter of public record) yet none of it made the news! The 12th street bargain center has twice been caught with stolen cars on the lot with no titles, not news worthy either, then they also got into trouble with the EPA for not processing freon properly.....still no search warrants no investigation and no headlines!

Yellow House has been served seven search warrants and $30 worth of old hedge trimmers and dime store yard tools, and that is headline news!~ I'd call this a witch hunt!

bizarre 8 years, 1 month ago

I know the neighbors, they dont get drunk, they dont go to bars, they dont smoke cigarettes or do drugs.

Guy might occasionally smoke a little MJ at night in the privacy of his home, to help relieve pain he suffers from arthritis and in his back. (related to old football injuries) It is more natural than popping pills. He doesnt sell drugs or buy them.

This does not make them liars, or prove they are the largest fencers in Lawrence, Nor does it mean they are crimminals.

I see it as their privacy has been invaded! Just as if someone came into your house and went through your underware drawer then posted what they found to the public.!

eskimopieinKS 8 years, 1 month ago

just because something did not make the news does not mean IT IS NOT ILLEGAL

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 1 month ago

I really hope if there is a jury trial for anything, not saying guilty or not, that no one in here is on the jury or even summoned and if you are you tell them you have all made up your minds one way or another, no matter what you hear in court will change you mind. Right now all is just speculation nothing else.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

Ummmm, little confused. I thought pot was a drug. So smoking a little in the privacy of his own home makes it legal?? I don't care where it's smoked and what its for, it's illegal. If he needs it for medical purposes then he should have it prescribed for him. Like I have stated several times. I have not found them guilty. I am just stating that they did alot of "we have nothing to hide and have not broken the law" whining and here they have MJ, that is illegal, so it's getting a little hard to keep believing in them.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 1 month ago

not talking to me enforcer? I have not said anything about plants sooo. must be reginafliange I hope.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't have an issue with him doing whatever he wants in his home. But as bizarre pointed out in his first paragraph, that Guy doesn't do drugs and then in the next paragraph stated he did. I was trying to figure out which it was. Also, if the Neigbors want to keep saying they are guilt free of ANY illegal activitiy they just lied because growing pot is illegal, no matter how little you are growing or whats it's used for. I am pointing out the oversights that people keep mentioning. NOT stating anything good or bad about the guilt or innocents of the subjects.

hockmano 8 years, 1 month ago

Just because you have a couple of pot plants, that doesnt make you a Al Capone!

hipper_than_hip 8 years, 1 month ago

We got burgled a few years ago, and this spring I found one of our stolen chainsaws on ebay, and I bought it back from a guy in Spring Hill. I went to the cops and they said there was nothing to be done about it since the three year statute of limitations on burglary had expired, other than them asking him where he got it. I tried talking to the guy about it, but he wouldn't reply to my calls or emails.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 1 month ago

no maybe they are jimmi hoffa in disguise

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

I don't care what anybody does in anybodys home, I was stating the fact that they lied. That is all.

JimmyJoeBob 8 years, 1 month ago

If it walks like a duck and sounds like a duck it's a duck.

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

marion, could be that your limericks were removed because they completely lacked content relevant to the thread topic. sensitive or not, folks tend to dislike having their time (and bandwidth, i'd venture) wasted. just a guess.

if you're last poetic contribution stays, color me wrong.

doglover83 8 years, 1 month ago

smitty- You sounds so smart...that is so impressive. How can you encourage others to post using their real names when you are not...huh!?! I was thinking you were smarter than that.

doglover83 8 years, 1 month ago

reginafliange- I think you have a little too much time on your hands to be so wrapped up in all this stuff. Not just that, but I was thinking that you may need an intervention or something for all of your OCD behaviors. If you really keep every receipt, then you have a problem, and if it is actually a compulsive lying problem, (andI am more covinced of the latter), then you have a problem as well. Get well soon, or an intervention may be set up.

djazz 8 years, 1 month ago

Tired of the same dialogue coming from the same people all the time. Do something constructive! Quit moaning, do something proactive. Quit whining! If you don't like the homeless being downtown, do something about it!

Spare me from your useless verbage. And stick to the issue at hand!

djazz

matahari 8 years, 1 month ago

knick nak paddy wak, give the dog a bone, tell on our neighbors and go rolling home....is this not reminiscent of nazi germany, tell on our neighbors type situation? I am beginning to think so.......oh , point that finger, oh how holier than thou' oh how many here care to cast the first stone? Evidenatlly everyone...carry on, as true americans will...this whole discussion, well frankly, is disgusting.....I agree, they need a new attorney, but doesn't everyone?

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

it depends who you believe, plumber, but give it a few days and supposedly one of the following will happen:

they'll show up on the yellow house shelves with a bad-acting innocent "but no one TOLD me they weren't legal" excuse to follow. in a pinch, apparently you can tell 'em you have a badge (it doesn't matter the sort) or that you stole it and sold it to them and just don't want them to get busted for buying your stash. either way, it doesn't sound like you'll be asked for ID. (and if you can get out of the store without encountering the squelchy-voiced, WWF-esque lawyer in the bad suit, you might win a free ninja star.)

or, in a couple of weeks, 3 crooked cops will be selling that and loads of confiscated arsenal out the back of a squad car at a swap meet in the border's parking lot after closing hour at last call.

justsomewench 8 years, 1 month ago

sorry, that was wrong of me. i shouldn't blame the suit.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

Wow, now nobody is allowed to post or they "have too much time on their hands". I thought this was an open forum. Plus, I don't believe that I am posting anymore than the next guy, so what makes me so special to point out that I have an opinion? I guess I just attract all the really fun people!! Woooo hoooo!

dthroat 8 years, 1 month ago

Thank you Marion, Now I can make it through a Monday. (And actually fairly good too.)

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 1 month ago

Here is a question...can Swain represent the Yellow House SYndicate since she is now a witness to the drug possession case from the search on Friday. She was there to see they had what appeared to be a grow operation in the house (even if it does not merit a felony). Or was she just there to advise

Any lawyers out there

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 1 month ago

HEre is a blast from the past with these folks. They seem to have a problem calling a duck and duck...

Paper weights and jewlry

mutpuppy 8 years, 1 month ago

plants or no plants.... nothing taken in Dec. turned out stolen, no charges filed...yet they got slandered by the police spokes man Dan Ward. "largest fencing operation in the history of lawrence"

The police sent 5 officers there a few months ago to pick up paperwork on one stolen item...that smells like intimidation.

And getting a postal inspector involved just to call it a federal case... still doesn't mean anything unless there is proff that items were bought knowingly stolen and then shipped through the mail...

IF they would even get charged and convicted...which could take years...especially lacking evidence on the fencing allegations. With a clean record, this couple is looking at probation. Like I've said all along.. Find some real criminals and stop wasting the tax dollars!!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

The "pity buy" raises my suspicions. If they were inexperienced business-owners, they might make such a mistake. But, even if they weren't guilty of any crimes, the harrassment they've received in recent months should have taught them a lot about establishing firm policies and keeping good records. I could more easily chalk up the "pity buy" to inexperience if it were anyone else, but the owners of Yellow House should know better.

I think they do know better, which is what I find suspicious.

Marion: Nice limerick.

jafs 8 years, 1 month ago

Clearly, at the very least, Yellow House should have been more careful about the items they buy. However, it is also true that it is rather hard to prove ownership most of the time. I wonder what the legal responsibilities are for a business buying used items from individuals.

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 1 month ago

IF there are computers involved it may take that long to analyse and compare records especially if they have to recover deleted files.

I had to hire someone frmom Geeks on Wheels to find files for me when my computer crash. If this was a fence operation I would assume they had hidden files and deleted stuff to cover their tracks...if my CSI episodes serve me correctly

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

When I was in high school I worked selling cameras. I worked with a guy who was approached my someone wanting to sell a Nikon F2 that he "won in a card game". My buddy said OK, then took a Polaroid of the guy. Do you see how simple that is? Why doesn't YH do something like that? Those roofers are likely on someone's roof right now (did the rain stop?), and if P.D. had a photo, they'd nab the guys.

Guilty or not, YH is asking for trouble by just being dumb.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

If I was running a store like that, that would be MY policy. Should there be a law requiring it? I don't know about that, but if you have a need to look clean in a business that has a reputation for being dirty, then you take steps to make sure you are above reproach. Where I bank, you cannot cash a check unless you have an account, or are willing to have yourself fingerprinted. You'd be surprised at how many people are all ready to cash that odd-looking check, but then back down when it comes time to put their print on the check.

monkeywrench1969 8 years, 1 month ago

SO does Yellow house the license or are they covered by this

amazed 8 years, 1 month ago

Cultivating marijuana is only a felony when there are 5 or more plants. 2 plants, while illegal, is not a big deal.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

So, if a guy could find a way to cross some Purple Haze with an elm tree... he'd only have one plant... and it'd be a mere citation?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 1 month ago

well it would be bigger that is for sure and keep you in money or smoke for awhile.

JimmyJoeBob 8 years, 1 month ago

Is Marion worried about items he may have sold at Yellow House?

Linda Endicott 8 years, 1 month ago

I personally don't have receipts for all the things I've bought. I don't usually register them online with the company. It's easy enough to find the serial number of most products, and I used to do that and keep a list, but I don't anymore.

For one, it's been my misfortune to discover that most new items, even electronic ones, don't last long enough to bother with all that. You're lucky anymore if you can find anything that has a warranty longer than 90 days anyway, and when does it usually konk out on you? Day 91...

Most things anymore only have warranties of 30 days, in which case they stop working on Day 32...And even if you have them repaired, your warranty is usually null and void.

And in most cases, if someone steals your stuff, it's cheaper in the long run to just replace items than to go to all the effort of reporting them stolen and jump through all the hoops necessary. Even if you have to save up to replace them. Most people don't ever get their stolen stuff back, anyway.

And if someone came up to me and tried to sell me something that was stolen, I would have no way of knowing if it was or not. Probably why I always buy things new at the store. Besides, especially if it's something electronic, if you buy it used you're really taking a risk. It probably won't work long enough to make it worthwhile. People have a tendency to get rid of their old, worthless stuff by selling it to places that take used things.

Of course, it depends on how much the items in question cost to begin with. Cars are a different matter, but then they're not as easy to steal and sell as a toaster would be.

You know that brand new drill you just bought for $80? Once you get it home and out of the box, it's considered used. You could go out the same day you bought it and try to sell it, and you'd be lucky if you could get $5 for it.

I guess I have a problem with thinking of big time theft associated with Yellow House. When I think of fencing rings, I tend to think along the lines of gold, silver, expensive jewelry, coins, things like that. How can you make a living fencing dirty lawnmowers and ratty couches?

And I've seen some pretty ratty stuff at Yellow House. If stuff like that was stolen, the owners were probably better off without it.

doglover83 8 years, 1 month ago

Funny that smitty thinks that I changed my name. I am actually new to posting. WHEN I have time, I sometimes read the posts, but have always had better things to do than to post replies. The fact is that someone posted something very inappropriate to another article yesterday and so I signed up on order to post something to that, then noticed the irony of "smitty" asking others to use real names when obviously this person does not.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

If you have the serial numbers to your items, most tools, electronics, etc have them, you can get them entered into a national data base that if any other police agency in the US ran the serial numbers it would come back as a stolen item. So you do have a chance at getting your items back. But you have to report it and have the serial numbers. So all is not lost. If the police went to the Yellow House for somebody saying they found their stuff there they could run it and indeed find out that it was stolen. Personally I think maybe they could check the items they buy by checking them first in the data base, of course I'm sure that alot of them are sold to them before the owner has a chance to get them entered. Just a thought though.

reginafliangie 8 years, 1 month ago

ahhhhhh, sorry I didn't know if there was anyway around that. Thats why I was checking, thanks for the clarification.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 1 month ago

Luckly, I've not been victimizedby thieves many times. Outside of the loss of my Harley wallet, I can't think of anything that I've really missed.

acg 8 years, 1 month ago

Okay, now ya'll all know how I feel about cops. But this was crazy. I watched the news the other night when they brought the Neighbors' little "grow" out of their house and I was dumbfounded. (Not by the fact they had pot, I'm neither conservative enough or close-minded enough to be bothered by the good herb.) But by the fact that they were dumb enough to not clean up their act, their entire act, while this investigation was ongoing. If I were growing pot in my house and the Local Piggies and the GMen had been by my house for any reason, and didnt' search it, I would consider myself very lucky and then clean out everything until the heat was off of me. Who doesn't know to do this? They're already being investigated for fencing stolen goods and they don't have enough common sense to stop growing pot while they're being watched by cops, feds, the city, lawyers, news people, citizens, etc. That's just their too bad, as far as I'm concerned. They should've been smarter!

Terry Jacobsen 8 years, 1 month ago

I have sold items there several times in the past month. My only problem with them is that they ware cheap cheap cheap. I took a decent washing machine and a small window air conditioner (in great shape). They gave me $20.00 total. But I wanted rid of the stuff, so $20 is better than nothing.

It is ridiculous to think that they are ever going to ask for proof that you own what you are trying to sell. Get a grip. How stupid can you be.

jafs 8 years, 1 month ago

If Marion's post is correct, then Yellow House (and all others who operate with that license) is required to keep detailed records of the people from whom they buy things. I'm not sure they (as well as many others) are complying with those requirements.

conservative 8 years, 1 month ago

Marion, I have no idea about the others, but I know that Hastings does in fact require ID to sell items to them. I have at different times sold them old CD's and old DVD's. Every time they require a photo ID, photocopy it with a list of what was sold and the price, and then require a signature.

mutpuppy 8 years, 1 month ago

Yellow house writes a check for the stuff they buy... and ID is required to cash the check...so that person is trackable.. I have had to show ID when I have sold stuff there... that's what they used to write the check with.

yellowhouse 7 years, 3 months ago

sellers forms or checks are required for all sellers of merchandise at the Yellow house. Its not the law, its just a good business practice if someone is in the second hand business.

As far as new evidence that is anxiously being anticipated I simply ask you this:

How could any new or old evidence be credible when the collection of evidence has not been credible, the handling of evidence has not been credible, and presentation of the evidence is not credible?

oldgoof 7 years, 3 months ago

Wow. She wants the 2006 article re-injected into the present.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

"OldEnuf2BYurDad (Anonymous) says:

So, if a guy could find a way to cross some Purple Haze with an elm tree: he'd only have one plant: and it'd be a mere citation?"

Wow, that would be awesome! Let me know how that works out for you.