Archive for Thursday, February 22, 2007

Hunter education class scheduled

February 22, 2007

If hunters in Kansas want to get a license to practice their hobby, they need to take a hunter education class.

The Kansas Department of Wildlife will offer a class March 26 in Lawrence.

The two-day, 12-hour course will instruct hunters on safe handling and use of firearms and practical hunting training.

"Basically anyone who wants to hunt needs this eventually," said Capt. Dan Affalter, of the Lawrence Police Department.

The first session of the class starts at 6 p.m. March 26 at the Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds and goes until 9:30 p.m. The course resumes at 7:30 a.m. April 1 at the Fraternal Order of Police Lodge and lasts until 5 p.m.

There's no cost to take the course, but those interested must pre-register. They can do so by calling the following numbers:

¢ Lawrence Police Department Hunter Education line at 832-3288.

¢ Douglas County Sheriff's Office at 841-0007.

¢ Hack's Outfitters at 842-6338.

Students must be 11 years old on the last day of the class in order to get certification.

Comments

lilchick 7 years, 2 months ago

"The only two people who remotely made intelligent comments "

awww... that hurts.

;)

Don't feel badly 75x55, I'm rather hurt that my comments are only remotely intelligent.....but, as my daddy always says, just consider the source!

lilchick 7 years, 2 months ago

"And sorry if the word "killing" bothers anyone here. But it is what it is. Whether you kill it to eat, to hang on the wall or just for the heck of it. Killing is killing. If that term bothers you, maybe you shouldn't be doing it?"

From what I read in the comments, the only person trying to make a big deal about the word 'killing' would be you. I think that tvc was simply trying to tell you that your throwing the word around simply makes you look like you are uneducated and unwilling to share any real knowledge of your position. You obviously feel strongly against hunting, don't insult those that do....educate them as to why you feel the way you do.

Yes, we bad hunters kill animals, so do farmers. We butcher livestock and game in a 'kill shed'. I don't think anyone is trying to say hunters don't kill, therefore are 'killers', my issue is your inability to look past your own stance. You are not seeing the forest for all the trees. Yes hunters are, as you insist on putting it, killers, but they are also conservationists. Hunters fight for habitat to be preserved for animals....yes it does enhance their hunting, but all wildlife also benefits from their efforts year round. Hunters don't point and shoot at whatever wanders into their sights, permits are purchased for particular creatures sometimes of a certain sex to be taken during certain times of the day, or night. They can't kill anything they feel like shooting at, legally anyway. And anyone who does that doesn't have the true spirit of hunting at heart. Which includes making certain that resources are available so that your future grandchildren/great grands or whatever are able to enjoy the sport if they so choose.

You have had your hackles up from the start of this. How can you be upset over educating people about safe gun handling as such a 'concerned' citizen?

gr 7 years, 2 months ago

Posted by Mauidreaming (anonymous) on February 22, 2007 at 12:29 p.m. (Suggest removal) " No, no meds. No, not vegan. But GOOD ONE Kam Fong on Dick Cheney! LOL!!! :)

And of course I'm all for safety classes for gun users (the gun users who have them for self defense, not for killing living beings) "

Wow. Could someone please explain those statements to me... Not vegan, but animals have more rights than people mentality; but especially, not for killing living beings.

Would that be self defense against dead beings? Or is it for killing humans but not animals? Or for killing animals in self defense? I'm sooo confused. ;)

maui,

If a mosquito lands on you and starts biting you, what do you do?

75x55 7 years, 2 months ago

"The only two people who remotely made intelligent comments "

awww... that hurts.

;)

Mauidreaming 7 years, 2 months ago

PETA freak, vegan, take your meds, animals don't have rights, etc. Boy, such predictable cliches, eh? LOL!

The only two people who remotely made intelligent comments were lilchick and tvc. Thank you for that.

For some reason, most hunters just can't have a civilized conversation about this issue, can they?

tvc 7 years, 2 months ago

Mauidreaming,

I am a vegetarian, and I respect hunters. I appreciate the fact that they know and recognize where their meat comes from. If someone makes the choice to eat meat, I would much rather it was from a free animal than an animal raised in captivity.

You say you are not a vegan:do you not care about the horrors of the dairy and egg industry? Have you not watched and read all the material out there? The dairy industry supports the veal industry and every hen that no longer produces is slaughtered. Where is your righteous anger for these practices?

Angry veg*n do not help animal activism. Calling people killers does not educate or inform them; it puts defenses up and your message is lost.

lilchick 7 years, 2 months ago

"Your killing is not out of necessity, it's for pure sick pleasure. That's what is truly frightening."

I beg to differ....I know of several families that are able to better provide for their children because of the money they save by eating wild game that they have hunted. Now, if someone is killing and leaving creatures lay in a ditch...different story, but feeding your family and saving money is a necessity for many.

" Funny, I always thought a "revered conservationalist" was someone like Dr. Jane Goodall, not some cowardly Elmer Fudd who lures in an animal with food and then blows it away. "

Sorry to disappoint you, not all hunters lure animals in with food. My hubby and I walk timber, or just sit out and wait for something to come by. No scent blocker, blinds, camo, bait or anything. In fact, during deer season walking tree lines and areas with groups of 3-5 people is very enjoyable and makes the task of cleaning the animals much easier with more hands. And if 'conservationalists' are only about providing life, then why does the State give out nuisance permits to better the population of deer? Aren't the officers working for the state typically college educated and concerned with the best interests of wildlife? Could it be because they are overpopulated and therefore more apt to become sick? They become easily overpopulated due to the lack of natural predators....why shouldn't we as caring beings try to better life for them by thinning the herd while at the same time providing substance for our families?

75x55 7 years, 2 months ago

That's what I'm hoping to get at, madmike - if Maui will just say 'who' will be 'answered to', then we can figure out 'who' is capable of giving animals rights.

It's a fascinating concept.

madmike 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, a true PETA freak, no doubt. If you don't like to hunt, then DON'T!!! But don't think for a moment that you have any right to infringe on mine! And, before you rant, animals DON'T have rights!

Kathy Getto 7 years, 2 months ago

Mauidreaming - So... you eat meat? What kind of meat do you eat? Is it still alive when you eat it since you couldn't stand for an animal to be killed for no good reason? Just curious.

75x55 7 years, 2 months ago

Hey, Mauidreaming - you didn't answer the question. Who are hunters going to "answer to"?

[and rants about whatever you think someone else is thinking isn't an answer - that's called 'mind-reading' and is a sign of emotional insecurity/instability]

blue73harley 7 years, 2 months ago

Gopher - true. In fact, I was old enough to be grandfathered-in but took the course anyway with my kid. No matter how maui wants to spin it, the course is very beneficial. BTW - the course includes sections on boating and archery as well.

Gopher 7 years, 2 months ago

To clarify a point made in the above article. Hunter education is NOT required while hunting on your own land. Also, you do NOT need a take a hunter's education course to hunt within Kansas if you were born prior to July 1, 1957. That said, I still recommend that hunters take the course especially if your children are required to take it.

hawkperchedatriverfront 7 years, 2 months ago

Will they have a day to experience their lessons? Let the "hawk" no, so it can fly away from the riverfront. No shooting this "hawk'>

Mauidreaming 7 years, 2 months ago

No, no meds. No, not vegan. But GOOD ONE Kam Fong on Dick Cheney! LOL!!! :)

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 7 years, 2 months ago

Maui, I think it's time to up your meds. Good grief. I'm not a hunter, but I'm not opposed to people taking a safety class. Something like this would have helped Dick Cheney.

Dambudzo 7 years, 2 months ago

Posted by Mauidreaming (anonymous) on February 22, 2007 at 9:46 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I love how they refer to killing as a "hobby".

Yes, and let's all take our children too so we can teach them to be killers also.

Evolve a little, will ya? We're not cave people anymore. ++++++++++++++

Which would you rather have? An educated killer or an uneducated one?

Cave people? Beating an animal with a club is better than shooting it?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Vegans prey on life forms that can't run away.

Mauidreaming 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh yes, here we go with all the "conservation" crap. Last time I checked, conservation was not defined as killing. Am I wrong here? Maybe you should actually look up the definition of conservation, because I doubt if you would find "promoting killing" next to it.

And "taking care of a turkey" as you put it, should not involve killing it. All these state agencies and others who hide behind the term "conservation" but yet promote killing makes me sick. What a bunch of nonsense. True conservation means just that, conserving.

And yes, I donate plenty of money to real organization who truly practice conservation. And guess what? They advocate life, not killing and their animals actually get to live! What a concept, huh?

Oh, and by the way, I've gone hunting with my husband plenty of times years ago while he shot deer and other animas. In fact, I even took the life of a rabbit for no good reason other than I felt justified in killing it. And I'll have to live with that horror for the rest of my life. After that, I never killed again. So I've been there, done that. But never again.

And I'll have to remember that one -- "true hunters are probably one of the most revered conservationalist". LOL! Funny, I always thought a "revered conservationalist" was someone like Dr. Jane Goodall, not some cowardly Elmer Fudd who lures in an animal with food and then blows it away. Or better yet, how about organizations who gets paid thousands of dollars to allow rich men to come to their facilities and blow away an old circus or zoo animal that is dibilitated. Now that's a true conservationalist if I ever saw one!

Unreal

craigers 7 years, 2 months ago

Mauidreaming, you are free to not like hunting, that's fine. You can be against it and I would expect you to be a vegetarian. I am not and will enjoy eating meat for the rest of my life, whether it be chicken, turkey, pheasant, quail, cow, fish, etc.

Mauidreaming 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, I suppose if you're a Christian, wouldn't that be the same Jesus/God that you think gave you the right in the first place to kill animals? Isn't that the ol saying all you hunters who kill use to justify your action -- "the Bible says humans have dominion over animals, so therefore I can kill whatever I want for whatever reason I want, even if it's not out of necessity".

Yes, I believe that's the typical ridiculous saying I always hear. Might makes right, right?

But good point 75x55! Most humans don't think they have to answer to anyone for a darn thing, least of all when they think they're justified in killing a living being that's not human.

Kelly Anderson 7 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, can't let this one go My husband is an advid hunter.
True hunters are probably one of the most revered conservationalist available. Hate to burst your bubble but National Wildlife Turkey Federation is one of only groups that takes care of the turkeys not just the hunter. Most of the research, care, and concern for all wild animals are funded by the HUNTERS and associations in which HUNTERS are members. When was the last time you donated to a group to help wild animals? If you have, probably not on a regular basis. Please educate yourself on all aspects of a topic before blowing off steam because you think it is a cruel sport in which you do not participate. And please don't go assuming you know what I am talking about when I say "research, care, and concern" because you have no idea the scope or definition of the above.

75x55 7 years, 2 months ago

Answer to whom, Mauidreaming?

Mauidreaming 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes, and as I tell every other redneck hunter I run across that thinks it's fun to take the life of another, may you come back in your next life as a deer, bird, rabbit or whatever other innocent living being you may have felt the need to kill for no reason other than for your whacked out view of fun.

We will all have to answer for our actions one day, no matter how justified you may feel in those actions now. Your killing is not out of necessity, it's for pure sick pleasure. That's what is truly frightening.

What comes around, goes around . . .

blue73harley 7 years, 2 months ago

Maui - I don't hunt. I target shoot. I do have guns and as a responsible gun owner, I taught my kids gun safety. This course focuses more on safety that it does hunting skills and methods.

That being said, I have no problems with people who hunt as a hobby. This course also emphasizes following the law and how to be an ethical hunter.

craigers 7 years, 2 months ago

Hunting is fun and these animals provide good meat. Some animals are meant to be eaten, sorry Mauidreaming.

Mauidreaming 7 years, 2 months ago

I love how they refer to killing as a "hobby".

Evolve a little, will ya? We're not cave people anymore.

dthroat 7 years, 2 months ago

Yes, Harley - good course. And obviously, the skeet shooting must have been before the neighbors out there started complaining about everything.

blue73harley 7 years, 2 months ago

This is an excellent course for anyone who wants to learn about gun and hunting safety. And it is fun...especially day two which is mostly "hands-on" activities. Take your son or daughter. When I took the course with my kid, they let the beginners shoot skeet at the conclusion of the course. That has been a few years back though!