Archive for Monday, August 27, 2007

Meth-related arrests made

August 27, 2007

The Lawrence Police Department on Sunday morning arrested a Lawrence man and woman on charges related to the possession and manufacture of methamphetamine.

A 27-year-old Lawrence man was being arrested on failure-to-appear and out-of-county warrants when Lawrence police officers discovered the components of a methamphetamine lab in the trunk of his car, said Sgt. Dave Hubbel of the Lawrence Police Department. The car was in the parking lot of the Super 8 Motel at 515 McDonald Drive.

The man was booked into the Douglas County Jail and bail was set at more than $26,000. He faces potential charges including possession of drug paraphernalia and conspiracy to manufacture methamphetamines.

While police were in the process of arresting the Lawrence man, they also took a 24-year-old Lawrence woman into custody. That woman was discovered to have methamphetamines on her person, Hubbel said.

The Lawrence woman was booked into Douglas County Jail on charges of possession of ephedrine, a key ingredient in methamphetamine, as well as possession of methamphetamine. Her bail was set at $17,000.

Both the man and woman listed the same western Lawrence address, but a man who answered the phone there said neither had been home in more than a week. The man declined to be identified.

Both the man and woman remained in the Douglas County Jail as of Sunday night.

Comments

Ragingbear 6 years, 11 months ago

Wait. Since when is it illegal to possess ephedrine? I have some in my medicine cabinet. I had to present my ID and sign a form saying I wasn't using it to make meth, but it was legal. That charge really doesn't make sense at all.

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

Why are the names and addresses kept out of this article? On a related note, why have the arrest and incident reports been removed from the LPD web site?

purplesage 6 years, 11 months ago

Don't get stopped on your way home from buying Sudafed. Or, for that matter, lithium camera batteries, coffee filters, or certain kinds of fertilizer. In the minds of overly zealous cops, it is all precursor to the manufacture of meth.

Now don't get me wrong; I have no use for meth or those who make it or sell it. But I have seen these trumped charges really mess with people's lives. And that isn't right.

Ragingbear 6 years, 11 months ago

Meth is not something to take lightly though. I have no problem with such charges as "conspiracy to manufacture" and such due to the overwhelming danger clandestine labs pose to any community. Although it does make me wonder how well I would be able to defend myself if I did my regular monthly shopping and got pulled over and arrested because I had a packet of cold medicine, some fuel treatment, and a pack of coffee filters among the 80 other items I purchased that day.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, if you "just happened" to purchase 50 packages of Sudafed I don't think you'd be fooling anyone if you claimed it was part of your normal shopping routine.

Ragingbear 6 years, 11 months ago

You can't even purchase 1 package of sudafed without getting the once over by the system. Any pharmacist that would allow anyone to purchase 50 packages in one purchase is just as guilty as the person making the meth in the first place. It is actually illegal to purchase that much, and it is illegal to sell that much.

The exception would be those in the scientific community and certain distributers. But the DEA goes over those people with a more stringent process than somebody trying to buy a massive amount of Ammonium Nitrate, blasting caps, and diesel fuel.

Besides, most meth anymore is shipped in, especially due to the new standards applied to psuedo-ephedrine and ephedrine products.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 11 months ago

? There are only two people in this story.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 11 months ago

Ragingbear and Sage, As has been pointed out, but I wanted to clarify: It takes about 500-1000 capsules of ephedrine containing medicines to produce one pound of meth (which also produces about ten pounds of [often toxic] waste). Because you cannot purchase more ephedrine based products that you can consume a week at a time/month at a time (if prescribed), possessing "extra" ephedrine in and of itself is illegal because that indicates it is illegally obtained or in order to process and manufacture meth. In my past job, we attended a four hour training regarding meth-endangered communities (many of which are in Iowa/Missouri/Kansas). The officers there told us that moe often than not, people steal the quantities of pills needed to manufacture the drug....even now that it is off the shelves, many places still keep them illegally on the shelves (convenience stores, etc).

DownHomeDude 6 years, 11 months ago

Marion is right. They have declined to release information because the two suspects are cooperating with the police and working off the case. I wonder who is working the case?

DownHomeDude 6 years, 11 months ago

I just checked the LPD site. Their names have not been deleted. Thats what I get for listening to that scooterwhatever. They sure got arrested on a bunch of charges though. They were arrested by that Micky Rantz fella LPD has.