Archive for Thursday, August 2, 2007

Public acknowledgement of orientation may subject some to discrimination

August 2, 2007

People signing up for the city's new domestic partnership registry might want to keep one fact in mind: Kansas law does not prohibit discrimination based on a person's sexual orientation.

Lawrence, since the early 1990s, has had a local ordinance that prohibits discrimination against people because they are gay. But no such state law exists.

Brandon Myers, chief legal counsel of the state's Human Rights Commission, said he believes that Lawrence is the only city in the state that has such a law.

That means, Myers said, that a Lawrence resident who works in Topeka, for example, could be fired from a job for being homosexual and would have no legal recourse under state law.

The Lawrence registry is an open public document, and the Journal-World will be publishing the names of people added to the registry as part of the newspaper's On the Record section.

Lori Messinger, a spokeswoman for the Kansas Equality Coalition, said most gays and lesbians are well aware of the lack of statewide protection against discrimination.

She advised couples who are contemplating joining the registry to first look at their company's employee handbook to determine whether the firm has a policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Comments

Lonestar1 7 years, 8 months ago

As if no one knew.... Please..... Can the JW not move on to some real, meaningful news?

SettingTheRecordStraight 7 years, 8 months ago

I'm reminded of when San Francisco's mayor started "marrying" homosexuals back in '03 and '04. The overwhelming public backlash cost him and his backers dearly. (Then Newsome slept with his best friend's wife, but that's beside the point.)

person184 7 years, 8 months ago

STRS............................... Lawrence's homosexual registry will cause those who support traditional marriage to coalesce even more strongly in favor of protecting our society from the scourge of homosexual "marriage."

And how does this constitute you needing protection? I support marriage by my everyday actions and trying to have open communication. Really, I don't get at all why people are intimidated by this. I would say that if this threatens you or your marriage, you should seek help (psychological) immediately!

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

Homosexuality is wrong. I am against any plan that gives a legitimacy to the homosexual relationship.

deec 7 years, 8 months ago

Why do you think it is wrong? Can you support your opinion without quoting the Bible our of context?

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

It is wrong because the bible says that it is wrong. Homosexuality is wrong the same as lying, cheating, stealing, murdering, coveting, etc. is wrong. Homosexuality is no worse than the other things that are wrong. But, it is still wrong.

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't believe I said that it was one of the Seven Deadly Sins. I would hope people would be able to express their views without resorting to namecalling of people that have differing views.

Tychoman 7 years, 8 months ago

Tychoman 7 years, 8 months ago

Yes, you did. You listed it "the same" as etc. and you proceeded to list some of the Seven Deadly Sins.

Being gay is no worse than wearing clothing of mixed threads, plowing fields of mixed crops, selling your daughter to slavery, working on the weekends, or eating shellfish. Give it up, lamb.

If you don't want to give legitimacy to a loving, committed, monogamous relationship, then don't get one.

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

Homosexuality is a sin, the same as all the other sins. If Lawrence passed a registry for all thiefs to come and register to legitimize stealing, I would be against that too. Sin is sin, no matter how you sugar coat it. We have all sinned but that does not make it right and something we should accept.

Tychoman 7 years, 8 months ago

No, it isn't. Being gay isn't a sin. I'm still waiting to hear if you're wearing clothing of mixed threads (which is worse than a sin, it's an abomination) or how much you like eating at Red Lobster, dude.

yankeelady 7 years, 8 months ago

Sometimes these "discussions" get rather disturbing. What gives anyone the right to dictate how someone else lives their life? Assuming they are doing nothing illegal. I wouldn't want to live next to a meth lab, but I see nothing frightening in a couple in a committed relationship, no matter what the sexual orientation of the partners. It doesn't threaten me or my marriage.There are far too many judgmental folks out there. Hate diminishes those who hate. Let it go.

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

I think we agree to disagree. The things you bring up having nothing to do with homosexuality, they are a sideroad you would like to take us down rather than looking at the issue at hand. Homosexuality is wrong and all the other things you bring up will not change that.

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

I totally agree with you, you do not have to care what I think. Just as I do not have to agree with you. That is the whole purpose of these threads, to present different viewpoints. If I upset you, do not read my threads. Thanks. We will each have to give an account of how we have lived our lives. I am sure we will all have plenty of things we are sorry for in our lives.

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

lamb, tell the truth, you go to Westboro, don't you? Are you good friends with Freddy? You sound as if you are. Sickos and psychos, all of you bible thumping hate mongers. Go away.

lamb 7 years, 8 months ago

Why do you have to resort to name calling just because I disagree with you? Are you not able to have a conversation without attacking those who disagree? I am not calling you any names, I would appreciate the same courtesy. Thank you.

Tychoman 7 years, 8 months ago

"This is a freakshow like I've never seen. Wow. Just wow."

Right back at you, RT.

lamb, you refuse to actually HAVE a conversation or discussion of any kind, you keep pouring out your bigotry and narrowmindedness. Jesus would never be as bigoted as you are. I'm out of here.

Have a nice day.

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 8 months ago

Kudos Lamb, although I vehemently disagree with your position, I respect the way you've conducted yourself in this forum.

That being said, I have a rather pointed question for you. If you are an employer in Kansas (outside Lawrence) and you find out you have a homosexual employee, what would you do? Would you fire them because of your beliefs?

I personally find it appalling that such action (firing someone for their sexual orientation) is permissible in Kansas, but I'm curious as to your thoughts.