Letters to the Editor

Student view

April 23, 2007

To the editor:

I went to school Thursday thinking it was going to be a normal day. But I got there and then we went into a lockdown. I didn't know what was happening so I did it. But when the principal said we were in a lockdown I felt pretty scared. And right then I wanted to know what happened but I didn't ask. And about two hours after I was at school and my mom came and picked me up and told me my school was under a bomb threat. And she kept telling me about it and I started to wish that schools and places that were important were actually safe, instead everywhere has to be under bomb threats or lockdowns. And I don't think anybody wants to be blown up or shot to death without even knowing it's going to happen.

Lee Andrews, 8, Eudora

Comments

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

First of all, you apparantly don't remember what you were capable of writing when you were 8. Secondly, this letter is only missing the classic telltale backwards "S" on half the words to pass off that it was a child that wrote it.

shorty042784 7 years, 8 months ago

ok this letter has nothing to do with a kid writing this letter it has to do with being locked down and bombs and being scared...

mom_of_three 7 years, 8 months ago

I know several 8 year olds which could have written that letter.
Sounds like most kids that day, who wanted to know what was going on and feel safe. Nothing wrong with that.

WiseOne 7 years, 8 months ago

Hey Raginbull if you would like we could probably get Lee to give you a writing course, so you could write like an 8 year old too!

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

jmom breath as much as you would love get a hold of some people it will not help. Do not argue they ill only egg you on.nd for all you who do not ehink an 8 year old could have written this wll to bad and the letter is not about who wrote it but about fear. Address that issue.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

sorry all key are sticking got to clean key board.

jmom 7 years, 8 months ago

thanx. im better now that i got to vent. :) have a good day. signing off.

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

confron it is called anger and heat f the moment. People do sometimes react first then think. People tend to do that alot really.

jmom 7 years, 8 months ago

jmom 7 years, 8 months ago

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

Boy aren't we nice on here this morning? How about we give a kid who was pretty scared a way to voice that the idiot who called in the bomb threat?

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

Don't bother talking to confrontation about anything. He's a boil on the butt of humanity and you're totally wasting your time. Hopefully someone will come along some day and lance him. Anyway, I believe an 8 year old could've written this letter. My son is only 7 and writes as well, also. Kiddo, sorry you were so afraid that day, but as you get older you're learn that some people are just sick and twisted and there's nothing we can do about that but hope to catch them and lock them away. That doesn't mean you should go around in fear, though. If you're always afraid of what might happen you'll never live life to its fullest, and that's what's really important.

Jamesaust 7 years, 8 months ago

Maybe today's children would feel safer hiding under desks waiting for the "Red" bomb to fall like their parents (or is it grandparents by now) once did.

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

Sigmund 7 years, 8 months ago

I felt this 8 year old was more mature (mentality not physically) than both Ragingbear and Sasquatch34 and was also removed, go figure.

denak 7 years, 8 months ago

I worked as a paraeducator for 2nd and 3rd graders and there were plenty of 8 years old who could have written this letter.

It isn't a very sophisticated letter. It is a little incoherent. And there are way to many sentences with the word "And."

So, I don't doubt that an 8 year old could have written this letter.

My beef with this letter is not the age of the author or that a child wrote this but with the school.

It sounds to me as if the child was needlessly scared. I don't know what the teachers said to the children during and after but they should have been ignorant of the whole process or as much as possible.

Dena

Ragingbear 7 years, 8 months ago

Para-educator. You mean Teacher's aide? I think that your comment about leaving children in the dark about stuff only contributes to the problem we have today. Why don't we keep our children ignorant on sex, violence, world history, spelling and everything else then? That way they will do whatever you want them to do, and if they don't then we can just give them more Ritalin.

Linda Endicott 7 years, 8 months ago

What in the world are you talking about, Ragingbear??

This letter is consistent with the writing skills of an 8-year-old. If you weren't capable of writing like this when you were 8, then you probably didn't have very good teachers.

"This kid then goes on to advocate a blanket embrace of things to "Make school safe" which basically boils down to random searches, guard dogs, locked classrooms, body cavity searches and whatever the mortards running around want done to make schools safe. All the while seeming oblivious to the fact that the VT incident was at a college, but you got to milk it for what it's worth."

Err...no...the kid didn't say any such things...YOU did. The kid didn't even mention VT, or any of the other things that YOU mentioned.

The only thing this kid said was that he/she was scared, and thought the kids should have been told what was going on, and expressed fear of being shot or bombed at school.

Considering all the stuff on the news all the time anymore, I think it's a pretty reasonable fear...even for an 8-year-old.

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

acg: You are too simple-minded to get beyond your white trash background. I'm not surprised that you side with idiot parents who threaten to beat up other people.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 8 months ago

Dear little one, thanks for writing. most of us grownups aren't like the yelling fools above. we also don't want you to have to be scared. this bomb threat was phoned by someone with a twisted mind, who gets pleasure from others' pain or fear. we hope he will go to jail for a very long time to make justice for his crime and to discourage other people with ideas like his. we want justice for you and we don't want you to be scared.

good job writing and expressing yourself. thank you.

/Gnome