Archive for Friday, April 20, 2007

Message warns students at Perry-Lecompton not to attend class today

April 20, 2007

Perry-Lecompton school district remains on high alert

Officials at Perry-Lecompton high school and middle schools say all students will be subject to a search and will walk through metal detectors when initially entering the buildings. Enlarge video

A message warning students not to attend school today was scrawled Thursday on the inside of a Perry-Lecompton High School girl's restroom.

It didn't lead to school being canceled.

But it does mean that Jefferson County sheriff's officers will check every student entering the high school and middle school this morning, Sheriff Roy Dunnaway said.

District Superintendent Steve Johnston said all students will enter through the building's east entrance, along Lecompton Road.

The school district sent a statement to parents directing that students put metal objects, such as cell phones and keys, in a separate, clear plastic bag before attempting to enter the building.

At least three officers, a police dog and two metal detectors, which were installed Thursday afternoon, will assist with the screening, Dunnaway said.

Officers will stay at school throughout the day, he said.

Johnston said the threat was found about 12:30 p.m. Police and parents were then notified.

The message on the wall was not specific.

"It just said don't come to school tomorrow if you want to live; that's all it said," Dunnaway said. "You had to shut the door to see it."

Dunnaway said he didn't think the threat was real, "but it's something that you can't take lightly."

"After a while, there's only so much you can take as a parent, so I will probably keep them home," said Patsy Seele, who has a ninth-grader and a seventh-grader at the schools. "I don't want to have them go through the whole thing of being searched. : They're children, you know."

Senior Jason Kenney said he isn't going to class today.

"This is a good excuse," Kenney said. "I'm going to go fishing with some buddies."

The school district has said that whoever is responsible for the threat will be prosecuted.

Comments

bevy 7 years ago

I have two girls at the school also, and I ended up keeping them home today. Not so much because I feared for their safety, but because THEY feared for their safety. This whole thing makes me so angry. In a way, I feel that by keeping them home, the person who wrote the threat is getting what they want. But they are my kids, and I just couldn't take that risk.

I hope they catch this idiot and nail him or her to the proverbial wall. I think whoever it is will get a rude awakening - this type of thing doesn't mean detention - it will likely lead to jail time. Stupid.

Kudos to our district for their EXCELLENT communication on this. I got an e-mail, but I also got a personal phone call. They have done everything right, and we should be glad we have such competent folks running our schools.

justawatcher 7 years ago

I have 2 children that attend Perry-Lecompton school. My children both stated that they understand the metal detectors and the searches but they still feel violated. They do not understand how a classmate/attendee of the same school could think that this is a cool thing to do when there is so much violance in today's world and that the age of people carrying guns is getting younger and younger.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

Heh. Yeah. It's 4:20. It wasn't a bomb threat, it was a BONG threat. Fortunately, it's just a smoke bong.

pauly197032 7 years ago

I am one parent that kept my kid at home today. It isn't like it used to be when I went to school there. If people had issues they talked to the counselor, if they had issues with other students they got into fist fights in the hallways or in the parking lot after school. Most issues were settled with fists, words or in the office with the counselor and principal. I just hope they find out who did it and punish them extensively as this is not a joke anymore now days. Everything is taken seriously.

KUGreenMachine 7 years ago

...um, its 4:20, every pot smokin kid skips school today...so, why do you think someone wrote something on that wall?..keeping your kid home only encourages this behavior..

concernedparent 7 years ago

I remember the days when I was in school and we always joked about wanting a bomb threat to get the day off school. Now that my own children are in school, it doesn't seem so funny anymore. I hope this is a hoax and whoever did it gets into serious trouble, no matter how old they are.

imagold 7 years ago

You can't let people writing on a wall or door run our world. They have to have school today. It sounds as if Perry-Lecompton school officials are taking the right steps. And parents also have the right to keep their kids home if they wish. However, I think the comment of the senior student is telling. He and some buddies are going fishing. Now I'm not saying this kid wrote the message, but I wonder if the author of the "threat" was thinking the same thing: A day out of classes. When they find out who the culprit is, there needs to be some strong, serious punishment. A few days in jail wouldn't be near as much fun as a day at the lake.

tweetybird2 7 years ago

I think it is probably a hoax but I don't believe they are over reacting. If I still had kids in that school they probably would not go today. If they did I would not have a problem with the metal detector.

Ragingbear 7 years ago

Schools turn into prisons as people overreact. News at whenever.