Archive for Monday, September 4, 2006

State’s death toll from Ernesto rises to 6

September 4, 2006


— A woman died of carbon monoxide poisoning from a portable generator, bringing Virginia's death toll from the remnants of Tropical Storm Ernesto to six, officials said.

The woman hooked up the generator in her Newport News garage after losing electrical power during the storm, state Department of Emergency Management spokesman Marc LaFountain said. He said an open garage window did not provide adequate ventilation.

Three people died in unrelated car crashes attributed to the storm, and a Gloucester couple were killed after a massive tree crushed their modular home.

Another death was reported in North Carolina, and in Pennsylvania, a man drowned in a rain-swollen retention basin while trying to rescue his dog.

Nearly 99,000 customers remained without power Sunday in Virginia, New York and New Jersey.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.