Archive for Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Business executive enters city race

Allen Press CFO files for one of three at-large seats to be decided in spring election

November 28, 2006

The chief financial officer for one of Lawrence's larger employers is seeking a seat on the City Commission after watching the community struggle with planning and job creation issues.

Rob Chestnut, the CFO for Lawrence-based Allen Press, on Monday became the second announced candidate for one of three at-large seats on the five-member commission.

"I think the business background I have will be very helpful," said Chestnut, who previously worked for several large Kansas City companies, including Sprint, Butler Manufacturing and Farmland Industries. "Working in bigger organizations, like Fortune 500 companies, developing consensus is very, very important.

"You can't move forward on any initiative you come up with in your head without creating consensus on it. I think it is going to be very important at this juncture in the community to create some sort of consensus on where we are moving."

Commissioners Boog Highberger, Mike Rundle and David Schauner are up for re-election, but none has announced plans to seek another term. Highberger, however, has said he's strongly leaning toward running again. Mike Dever, owner of a Lawrence-based environmental consulting firm, is the only announced candidate.

Chestnut, 45, is a Lawrence native and Kansas University graduate. He left the community in 1985 to work in the Kansas City metro area but returned in 2001. What he's seen since returning to Lawrence is a community that hasn't produced enough new jobs.

He said he supported current economic development initiatives but wanted to add to them.

"One thing I see lacking is how do we figure out what our core competency is?" Chestnut said. "How do we figure out what we do best? We are competing with every other community out there for jobs. We have to figure out a game plan and be more proactive in seeking those opportunities."

He also said the community's planning process needed revamping. Current work by city staff to review the planning process was fine, he said, but city commissioners need to focus on making it more "user-friendly."

"It is almost like we have to start from scratch and ask ourselves what we can do to create a process that is simpler and that works," Chestnut said.

On other large issues, Chestnut said the community must discuss priorities as it considers proposals for a new library or additional recreation facilities. He also said the city needed to solve the traffic problem on east 23rd Street, but he stopped short of endorsing a route for the uncompleted South Lawrence Trafficway.

On growth issues, Chestnut said he didn't support putting artificial limits on the amount of retail growth that could occur in the community, but he also said Lawrence had to recognize it was competing in a regional retail market that stretches from Topeka to Kansas City.

Chestnut is married and has three middle school-age children.

The City Commission election will be April 3. If more than six candidates file for election, there will be a primary on Feb. 27. Candidates have until noon Jan. 23 to file.

Comments

Noweigh 8 years, 5 months ago

Ah, another enlightened open-minded and fair comment from a poster who, I would almost bet the farm, considers themselves a "liberal". Years ago being liberal meant putting the human rights and conditions first, judging people on their character and their value system. Now it appears to mean judging people by where they work. If that is truly the reason to not vote for someone, Lawrence's future is more bleak than I thought. Here's a thought; vote or not vote for them based on their stand on the very real and serious issues facing this city.

pusscanthropus 8 years, 5 months ago

I think every professional should research the company before taking a job and becoming a representative of that firm. Ever been dragged out of your work area with no notice, put in a line outside your workplace restroom and been forced to pee in front of the pee police?

pusscanthropus 8 years, 5 months ago

I hope he didn't wear a halloween costume to work! I won't vote for him BECAUSE he is working for one of the most repressive companies in Lawrence whose leader tries to impose his fundamentalist Christian values on his workers.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

It find this posts funny. If Allen Press is so bad, mwhy do people work at the company?

Could it be because it is a job?

At least he doesn't "work" for the state- Boog and Schauner.

In my opinion, three members of the PLC is too many. They vote as a block. Two would be ok- get rid off the PLC puppets.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

pusscanthropus- What leader are you talking about? Is that leader 4related to the Allen's?

You do have a geat point about candate's other jobs. That is why I will never vote for Boog, Schauner or Tom Braccino. I do not like people whose jobs are funded by taxpayers running for office ( which they get compensated for- small but compensated). To me this is wrong. taxpyers are funding them for their initial work and then more meetings. To me dong the job of a commisoner could hurt their performance on their real job.

For people who run their own business or work for a company, I have no problem. If their work suffers because of their additional job, they could get fired. I do not see it with the State or the USD firing an highly paid individual who is a yes man.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 5 months ago

Do you have any evidence that Highberger has failed to perform his job at KDHE? Or are you just assuming the worst because you don't like him?

BTW, Schauner doesn't have a government job.

Jackalope 8 years, 5 months ago

Don't know much about Chestnut. I did know, however, that it would not be long before someone would be roasting Chestnut on an open fire. It is the season, after all.

Rationalanimal 8 years, 5 months ago

Finally, a glimmer of hope that Lawrence isn't going to die on the vine due to a bunch of socialist ideologues suppressing the free market economy. Don't be at all suprised if the Fab-5 make a flowery metamorphisis over the next 2-3 months to appear very pro-business (if they drop the Wal-mart lawsuit, we'll all know the Fab-5 are really desparate to hold on to their feifdoms).

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

logrithmic- When did Allen Press fire someone for wearing a Halloween broach? Does this mean we are generalizing people?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus- I don't know if Boog is doing his job nor do I know he isn't. I have know clue if the city commission job inteferes with his job at KDHE. I do know that there are company's out there that prohibit doing a second job, unless it is a small percent of your salary or time. That is what i am saying. I thing the state and school district should have those rules for highly compensated people.

I don't harbor any bad will against Boog but I do not thing he really represents All of Lawrence. That is why I woiuld rather have districts that people elected at large. I would be nice to actually have to people campaign in my neighborhood.

About Schauner my bad. I forgot he only represents teachers- i mean the union.

Boog works for KDHE, the same KDHE the city commission wants to send a letter to about the new electric plants?

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 5 months ago

"if they drop the Wal-mart lawsuit,"

Wal-Mart and 6-Wacky are the ones who brought the lawsuits. But I know that in your desperation to make a point, facts are just a useless hindrance.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

Sure Wal_mart and 6 Wak brought the Wal-Mart suit but they had to enforce the city to do what it already approved them.

I thing what that person was saying, the city commission settled the Wal-Mart case.

The city commission already has voted to wait 6 months to approve a development on the 3-2 vote. ^ months would be after the April elections. They are pretty smart, they can claim to be smart-growth, maybe get elected, then approve the development. Not to bad.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

Commuter, in 2001 they fired people for Halloween themed attire/brooch. Rand Allen is a narrow minded a-hole.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

Are you aware that Randy Allen isn't running Allenm Press anymore. Within the last couple of years, Allen Press realized they need to be professionally run and hired a CEO. The CEO is an outsider and is not related to Allens.

Rob Chestnut wasn't an employee at Allen Press in 2001.

Just thought you might want to knwo what I have been told.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

Really? I have several close friends that work at AP and they hadn't mentioned that Rand has stepped down. They certainly would have been elated by such an event, but that doesn't mean you're wrong just that I will verify what you said before I believe it.

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

I would bet that even the City of Lawrence has a dress code and a drug testing policy for its employees. If not they should probably consider implementing them! And companies can and do fire employees for insubordination all the time. From the article:

Nichols, however, defended Rand Allen's decision to terminate Justin Erickson and Crystal Roberts for defying a company memo distributed Monday that said "Anyone wishing to defy the instruction that Halloween will no longer be observed at Allen Press will lose their employment."

"It was total insubordination," Nichols said.

At least the Allen Press policy was clearly stated and then enforced. Somehow I don't really see Allen Press policies as being all that extreme.

Rationalanimal 8 years, 5 months ago

"desperation to make a point, facts are just a useless hindrance"

Sums up your modus operandi pretty well bozo. Your comments imply the viewpoint that b/c Wal-mart filed the lawsuit, somehow their are no merits to their claims. If that was true (which it is not), it would have been thrown out a long time ago on a summary judgment motion. It hasn't been. The City's action of leading Wal-mart to suspend the lawsuit under a false pretense of a good faith settlement and then later reject the plan on the standard of subjective aethetics only further illustrates the Fab-5's gerrymandering with businesses, development, taxpayer funds, and the legal system. It is no wonder you stick up for these bozos

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

Unless they are firing people for wearing Christmas pins too, then they are being extreme and descriminatory! But what is funny is that virtually ALL holidays celebrated by Christians were adopted from Pagan holidays. I got new for some of ya: Jesus was not born on December 25th.

I did a search and still saw that Rand did step down last year. So Chestnut was working under him. I would like to know his view on such a matter before casting a vote in his favor.

justsomewench 8 years, 5 months ago

the LJW didn't bother to find out that the reason behind the Halloween rule was because Rand felt it unfair that office workers found time to parade around in their Halloween garb while the production line was unable to wear (for safety) anything of the sort while working on the line.

azure, if you have friends working at AP, they must not talk to you much. you're making a fool of yourself while blindly following an LJW spin article. peer-reviewed media, it is NOT.

such children, you are...get over yourselves.

KsTwister 8 years, 5 months ago

This new CEO is not the Allen Press of old. Just call it the winds of change. Amazing, someone who can make a difference,he is already doing it. This guy can do the job from an informed position, which may at the very least save on studies we pay for. This is the new CEO not the temp, I wish him the very best.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 5 months ago

So you want Wal-Mart and a few developers in their pocket to run the city, RA. No news there-- you've been lobbying for that for months around here.

day 8 years, 5 months ago

The AP office staff (including Rand) always celebrated Halloween when they were located in the downtown location. When they moved to the new offices, above the production area, the celebration continued for the first year. After that first Halloween in the new offices the production employees complained. They said it wasn't fair that the "office" people were allowed to have so much fun and waste so much time when they were not (safety issues due to production environment).

In an effort to be fair Rand decided to ban the traditional Halloween costume celebration the next year. Justin Erickson sent out a company wide email urging employees to disregard the new policy. Justin was then reprimanded for insubordination by Human Resources. HR then issued a policy stating that anyone disregarding the new policy would be terminated.

On Halloween Justin and Crystal arrived for work in costume and were fired on the spot for insubordination.

Bottom line, Rand Allen is not now and never was against Halloween for religious reasons.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

A pin and stripped socks does not a costume make. The action was extreme. Period.

justsomewench 8 years, 5 months ago

a rumor and a tripwire conviction does not a well-reasoned judgment make, azure.

may the person that gets your vote be slightly brighter.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

Laissez-faire attitudes towards residential and retail growth will only increase OUR taxes as we well know.

Being a company executive does not necessarily provide credentials. Look at the Bush administration that which is full of big company executives.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

Neither does being a lawyer. Coming from a Fortune 500 company, I know it is real hard on building agreement with different people with different ideas and agendas.

"City commissioners and staff are currently moving to make the approval and planning process more user friendly." How? Is this an item to be worked at after the election? I really do not see this happening with the current makeup of the commission.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

"The problem is the planning department has approved many things and the comission have veteod it. It is too bad the commission doesn't listen to the professionals."

Such as...

So far as I know it is in the hands of the City Manager. They are working towards a one stop shop so to speak.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

What about the development that Schauner, Boog and Rundle thought the study that was performed wasn't to their liking. The Planning Commission approved it, city planners approved it and the study showed the plan was feasable?

To me the current commission is unfriendly to business. I can not see too many businesses wanting to relocate here because of the current city commission and their "GRAND" ideas of bsuiness.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

Commuter,

Neighborhood Resources Department

MEMORANDUM

TO: David L. Corliss, City Manager

Thru: Debbie Van Saun, Assistant City Manager

FROM: Victor Torres, Director, Neighborhood Resources

DATE: October 2, 2006

RE: Building Permit report

Attached to this memorandum find building permit data for the year through September 2006. Overall the number of building permits issued continues to surpass the number of permits issued last year for this same period, 2068 building permits issued versus 2036. Building permits for single-family homes is at 196 as compared to 151 for this same period last year.

In addition, building permit fees collected to date are over $695,000 as compared to approximately $575,000 for the 2005 period. Let me know if you have any questions as you review the data.

New retail is suppose to create NEW ADDITIONAL revenue and NEW ADDITIONAL employment for a community NOT merely spread current retail dollars to the point where nothing NEW or ADDITIONAL is realized. Certainly it is not to replace existing retail for nothing is gained. Otherwise taxpayers realize TAX INCREASES to cover the cost of additional demand on community services.

Specific projects should be accompanied with independent Retail Impact Studies,Economic Impact studies,Traffic Impact Studies etc etc. Assumptions are not good enough.

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

Merrill, you ought to make sure when you cut and paste that your comments are clearly seperated from your comments!

Sigmund 8 years, 5 months ago

Correction: (my editor took the day off).

ilovelucy 8 years, 5 months ago

AA: I would say that you aren't any better. Your remarks have mirrored wench's and are snotty as well. Period.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

justsomewench 8 years, 5 months ago

at least my comments don't consist of broad-sweeping baseless remarks about the private practices of a 70-year old, family-owned local business with further casting a more disjointed correlation as to the possible effectiveness of a candidate for city commission.

i'm just hoping your candidate'o'choice is a little more into fact-finding than you are.

color me snotty, if you must.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

Richard or I mean Merrill, I am sorry I even questioned you. I do not have a local politcal affiliation with any of the commissioners, you know PLC.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

I base this not just on LJW's article, but on the assessment of people that were there.

Your comments suggest that you believe that companies are not subject to the laws of this country. Companies are not allowed to discriminate. If that were not true, companies would be suffering losses in court due to discriminatory actions and they could fire people for any lame excuse they want; wearing a halloween themed shirt, pin and socks for example.

If they don't want costumes on the production floor for safety reasons, fine. That is legitimate. If no Christmas or Easter bunny pins/shirts/whatever are allowed, then fine no pumkin pins/shirts/whatever either. But I seriously doubt that any folks aroudn there would get fired for wearing Santa shirt, red and green stripped socks, or a wreath pin. And that makes it discrimination. It is unfortunate that you can't see this for what it is.

justsomewench 8 years, 5 months ago

you amuse me. it's not discrimination. keep your day job.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

Yes, your view is unfortunate . . . and sad . . . tsk, tsk, tsk . . .

Justin Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

You people crack me up. Yes, let's condemn a man for something that happened at a company 5 years before his employment began.

As far as I am concerned Wal-Mart and the South Lawrence Traffic way are good things and should happen.

It's called growth and prosperity. It's what every other town around Lawrence is experiencing. The Lawrence Commission should get on board or get the hell out of the way.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

The article states that Chestnut returned to Lawrence around the time this incident happened. Whether he came to work for AP at that time or not, I am not sure. I would not feel right about going to work for a company that would fire someone over wearing a pin and stripped socks, but he may.

What I am saying is that before I were to vote for him I would like to know if he thinks such an action is justified. That is not condemnation.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

He came back to Lawrence from Kansas City. He hasn't worked for AP for that long long. I don't even know if he has been there a year.

Why do these two people getting fired for violating a company policy have to do with anything? Our current commission isn't consistant to begin with. Case in point, Wal-Mart.

The plain and simple truth is AP is a privately held company and Kansas is a employement at will state. Translation- Most people can be fired for no cause.

AA-Since you are so concerned with these people getting fired. Would you vote for anyome who works for the district? When district was talking about closing schools. A para by the name of Vicki Scott spoke out against clsoing East Heights. She was one the the main people along with Adela about closing the school. Guess what Vicki's contract wasn't picked up for the next year. Vicki was not protected by the LEA but Adela was. So my big question is would you vote for someone who works or has worked for the schoold district of Lawrence for public office?Financial Applications

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

Commuter,

I thought we're discussing the process after approval. Actually this commission has approved numerous projects along west 6th street retail and residential alike. The New Urbanism retail/residential center is quite large. The number of building permits is up over the prior year. Merrill

===================================

Neighborhood Resources Department

MEMORANDUM

TO: David L. Corliss, City Manager

Thru: Debbie Van Saun, Assistant City Manager

FROM: Victor Torres, Director, Neighborhood Resources

DATE: October 2, 2006

RE: Building Permit report

===================================

Back to Merrill: Just because speculators purchase property does not guarantee that construction will be allowed for it is NOT the duty of the taxpayer or local government to maximize profits for speculators. Speculating=gambling. Land speculators know these things.

Grundoon Luna 8 years, 5 months ago

OK, so he's part of the "new" AP. But if he were a part of the management team at the time of this incident I think it would be important to know what his position is/was on the matter because I think that would reflect what he may initiate or support. If a school district person were running, I would want to know their position on issues. What? Should I base my votes on campaign advertisements?

I don't want for work and I don't work production, but if I were looking for employment I would be concerned about accepting a position with a company that fired people for wearing a pin realted to a specfic holiday.

It sounds like Justin was fishing for it with the e-mail and all, but getting fired over wearing a freakin' pin and stripped socks is ludacris!

KsTwister 8 years, 5 months ago

Mr. Chestnut is the Financial Officer for Allen Press,the new CEO is Gilliand(sp?) but considering the current admin in City Hall, we need someone who can add up---not add on. We have enough golf courses,roundabouts,half empty strip malls and damaged streets, and Lawrence needs a face lift. Businesses are needed that provide more jobs and a bigger tax base more than construction projects that are just pretty to look at.

monkeyhawk 8 years, 5 months ago

"Merrill, you ought to make sure when you cut and paste that your comments are clearly separated from the comments of other City staff!

YOUR assumptions, assertions, and speculations that the new WalMart would not create new additional revenue and new additional jobs and that the city can arbitrarily deny building permits if the current zoning allows it, was NOT part of Mr. Torres original memo. If I were Mr. Torres, Ms. Van Saun, or Mr. Corliss I would have a talk with you about how free you are with their private communications and about misrepresenting those communications to the public! And if I were the attorney for the City of Lawrence in this case with WalMart, I'd have a chat with the PLC Kommissioners about the actions of members of the Traffic Safety Committee speaking on zoning issues."

Sigmund, I love you, man!

merrill, how many times do I have to tell you that, OF COURSE that urban clutter .... development was approved. It is smarth growth planning - the other jewel of Lawrence. You guys want to stack everyone on top of each other and put your crunchy granola stores in there so you can have some sort of "connection" with the other side of town. BTW, there wouldn't be a mercantile-type market planned for that area, would there? And, with a "quite large" development, wouldn't that create an awful traffic mess? I mean, with WalMart down the street and all... I'm really confused by you bozos, do you like progress in the form of development or not? Sometimes you talk about how the developers have hurt Lawrence, and then you are excited enough to post your diatribe about this project more than once.

Godot 8 years, 5 months ago

"BTW, Schauner doesn't have a government job."

He is a lobbyist for people with government jobs. He is paid by people who work for the government so they can get more government money. It would be fair to say that, in essence, he works for the government.

Spider 8 years, 5 months ago

I work at Allen Press. I have worked there for many years. Any place you work, you will find the stereotype personalities. Working for someone else, you have to park your prejudices. Rand owns Allen Press. He has the right to run it any way he wants. I have never had a problem with him. He is a nice person. He surrendered his CEO position. He is going to do what he really wants--go back to Australia.

Rob seems like a nice enough person to me. Any person willing to serve his city and sacrifice some of his own personal life earns my respect. Okay, I may or may not vote for him, but he has my respect.

I am voting for the Big Three. I think getting new jobs to Lawrence sounds like a good idea; more jobs means more people. HELLO, people, when is overpopulation a good thing?

Again, I reiterate, I work at Allen Press, and I have for many years. I was here when Justin purposely wore the Halloween pin so he could get fired. I am not religious, but I respect those who are. THAT WAS FIVE YEARS AGO PEOPLE!

Godot 8 years, 5 months ago

Spider, I agree with you that Rand Allen had the right to make the decisions he did about running his business, and also that he was probably right in hiring a CEO and CFO. I hope these changes bring more growth and a bright future to Allen Press. And I wish Rand a happy life in Australia. In my humble opinion, he deserves it.

I disagree with you about the "Big Three." They have done absolutely nothing to improve the business climate in Lawrence. Nothing. They have made it worse. They have to go.

Godot 8 years, 5 months ago

What frustrates me about the "big three" (what a joke, I would call them the three wee ones) is that they put up roadblocks and restrictions for new businesses that could bring tax revenue to Lawrence, while also restricting new housing (thus, more property tax). At the same time they propose grand new tax-payer funded projects that the city can afford without increasing taxes.

The three wee ones remind me of an anorexic new mother who restricts her calorie intake while insisting that she can breast-feed her child, and who blames her hungry child for not being satisfied with the depleted milk she produces.

The City of Lawrence needs supplemental feeding if it is to achieve its "lofty" goals.

As a property owner, I know I am tapped out. I cannot pay more.

If the City wants more luxury, then it had better find a way to pay for it that does not involve an increase in property tax.

Godot 8 years, 5 months ago

"At the same time they propose grand new tax-payer funded projects that the city can afford without increasing taxes."

Correction: "cannot afford" without increasing taxes.

KsTwister 8 years, 5 months ago

Will agree with you on that. Jobs here mean the people who already live here benefit from working and spending here while their place of business adds to the community by adding their tax dollars to the general fund. Then you can build your glass towers without the bitter taste to the taxpayers who choke on the December mail.

nbnozzy 8 years, 5 months ago

I went to school in Lawrence with Robert Chestnut and he is good guy. I think he'll do a fine job on the city commision. He gets my vote.

KsTwister 8 years, 5 months ago

He will get 20 votes with this family, we wish him well.

Stephen Roberts 8 years, 5 months ago

KS twister- I bet he gets more than that. I am hoping he goes out and campaigns a lot more than the three members supported by the PLC.

chewie 8 years, 5 months ago

Just an attempt to clear the Allen Press debate up: Part of the memo sent to A.P. employees stated that you are not to change the way you normally dress for work (costume/mask/makeup,etc.). At the time, about 90% of AP employees (the exception being S&M and Account Managers) dressed very casually -including myself (I, like Justin, regularly wore a T-shirt and jeans). I sat at a desk just 20 or so feet from him and knew him (was not real proud of that later). I sat back and watched him get the axe, as well.

He purposely drafted the email/letter to the company with the intent of causing problems. He followed that up by coming to work in a dress shirt, suit jacket and pants with the flashing pumpkin pin -or whatever it was- parading himself throughout the building floors and making a point to chat about what he was doing to friends and others. Then waited for the hammer to drop. What happened to him was what he intended to happen. Part of it was to try to impress the girl (who also got canned) and get attention. Only one-half of that plan worked. Guess which half. Simply idiotic and the result: anything but "ludacris."

As owner of the company, Rand could have told us we had to wear a three-piece suit daily, hense forth, and that would be policy. Justin went straight to the LJW (who gladly accepted such a juicy story) and spun the event around for them and made it look like he was the "victim." He was only a victim of his own stupidity. The victim was Crystal who had been gone the week before, missed the email(s), and was convinced, BY Justin, to come to work with something on that was related to Halloween. She thought nothing of it until she walked through the door. He did succeed in becoming the poster child for idiocy in his own area/department. Respect earned = 0.

As far as Rob goes, I do not know him personally, but have met him and he seems outwardly friendly and genuine. That said, I have no idea who I will vote for. lol

Klickhammer 8 years, 5 months ago

Will this guy be using the powers of City Hall to work for the people of Lawrence, Kansas, or for Allen Press?

chewie 8 years, 4 months ago

So sorry Marion. Perhaps you should direct that to the person that I took the quote from - up a few posts (Azure_Attitude). That's why it had "quotes" around it. Chewie, by the way, is a nickname. I hope that did not distract anyone from understanding the rest of the post. Always a pleasure.