Archive for Saturday, May 27, 2006

Three injured in K-10 rollover

May 27, 2006, 2:39 p.m. Updated May 27, 2006, 5:11 p.m.

The Kansas Highway Patrol has identified a 33-year-old woman, a 4-year-old girl and an 11-year-old boy, all from Eudora, as the three people injured in the rollover accident this afternoon on Kansas Highway 10 east about two miles east of Lawrence.

Maria Cobian was driving her 2000 Toyota 4Runner at 1:52 p.m. in the westbound lanes when she swerved to the north shoulder and back across both lanes of traffic and onto the south shoulder near the median, according to the accident report.

She tried to steer the vehicle back to normal, but it rolled several times and stopped on its top in the north ditch.

The two children, Luis Avila, 11, and Fatima Avila, 4, wore their seat belts, but troopers were unsure if Cobian wore one. Cobian was flown by a LifeNet helicopter to the University of Kansas Medical Center in Kansas City, Kan.

Fatima was flown by a LifeNet Helicopter to Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, Mo., and Luis was taken there by an ambulance. Emergency responders told dispatchers that the two flown by helicopter were in critical condition and that Luis Avila suffered nonlife-threatening injuries.

Comments

quitbitchin 7 years, 10 months ago

"None of this is a problem for I70 drivers, in fact, it all seems to be pretty understood, practiced & successful. "

your joking, right? tell that to the elderly couple that was recently forced off the road and rolled into a creek by a passing pickup truck with trailer in tow. believe me, the idiots are on I-70 as well.

muddfoot55 7 years, 10 months ago

Well said, Jewels....society over all has forgotten about common courtesy and common sense. We have become a people who's only concern is their own need or mission and it comes at the cost of everyone else's. If you want to see confusion, give them your turn at a 4 way stop, yield the right of way even when it is clearly yours.
These are lesons we were supposed to have learned long ago.....take turns and play nice with the other children.

jewelsjournalist 7 years, 10 months ago

THE REAL PROBLEM is...(drum roll) TAILGAITING/PASSING TOO CLOSE.

For drivers who forgot/never learned, there should be AT LEAST ONE CAR LENGTH FOR EVERY 10MPH OF SPEED.

Imagine how much more tragic yesterday's accident would've been had someone been riding the SUV bumper!

The way drivers crawl up the backside of cars in front of them sends me into orbit. It's dangerous & irresponsible. And I HAVE NO TOLERENCE FOR UNNECESSARY, WRECKLESS, IMMATURE DRIVING THAT PUTS MY LIFE AND/OR THE LIVES OF MY CHILDREN AT RISK. Doubt it gets anybody to drive or change lanes faster anyway.

There's way more tailgaiting on K10 than I've ever seen on ANY road, hwy or interstate. Something seriously needs to be done about it, perhaps buckle up type signage. Would be money well spent.

Get the money where, you ask? Tack an additional $5 /10 on to reckless driving and maybe even speeding fines. Don't know about reckless but cost of speeding tickets is so hefty as it is that another five or ten bill wouldn't cause civil unrest.

Now there's another side to this scenario and it is equally a greater issue on K-10 as well. SLOWER TRAFFIC EITHER NEEDS TO STAY IN THE RIGHT HAND LANE AND/OR PAY ATTENTION TO TRAFFIC BEHIND YOU WHENEVER DRIVING IN THE FAST LANE. WHENEVER A VEHICLE BEHIND YOU IS OBVIOUSLY TRAVELING AT A HIGHER RATE OF SPEED, PLEASE SIGNAL & GET OUT OF THE LEFT HAND LANE AS SOON AS IT IS FEASIBLE & SAFE TO DO SO.

And to all the stuck-behind drivers out there, PLEASE remember IT'S NOT NECESSARY TO CRAWL UP THE TAILPIPE OF SLOW-YOU-DOWN CARS. TRY FLASHING YOUR HEADLIGHTS TO GET THEIR ATTENTION. Never failed for me.

Lastly, IF there is an absolute emergency in progress & you perceive the need to drive faster than the flow of traffic, TURN YOUR HAZARD LIGHTS ON.

And while everyone whines about using cell phones on the road, CONSIDER USING IT TO REQUEST A POLICE ESCORT. Please, law enforcement out there, correct this if wrong, but I was taught in an extreme emergency, ie transporting someone having a heart attack, excessive blood loss, birth, etc., that law enforcement would not want to prevent you from successfully getting where you need to go, there ARE times, RARE times, when seconds mean life or death. As I understand it, law enforcement would rather escort & aid you with use of their lights/sirens/radios/training, etc., than have 2 dead people because you crashed en route.

When driving K10, PLEASE remember: DON'T hold up the fast lane, DON'T crawl up tailpipes, DON'T knock quarter panels off cars you pass & DON'T expect other drivers to know what's up when you're driving in response to an emergency.

None of this is a problem for I70 drivers, in fact, it all seems to be pretty understood, practiced & successful. Don't get why, when the speed limit is the same on these roadways, so many people don't engage the same driving habits. PLEASE, let's ALL help make K10 less dangerous.

jewelsjournalist 7 years, 10 months ago

Thank you, Katie, for letting us all know how your sister-in-law-to-be and the 2 children are doing. My father & fiance passed by while emergency/rescue personnel were on the scene & a helicopter was still on the ground.

Living on the VERY east edge of Lawrence, I can't count the number of times lights/sirens go racing out to hwy 10 wrecks. Frequency of severe K-10 accidents has seemingly increased quite a bit in the last few years. It's becoming more and more troubling.

Whenever possible I just avoid K10 anymore. I70 is a MUCH better option, even with the hassle of having to drive the full south-to-north Lawrence stretch of red lights, roundabouts, residential streets and, ugh, the road work which amplifies traffic congestion. (None of which a 32nd street alignment resolves, BTW)

K10's speed limit is not the problem. Don't think it's an issue of enforcement as I ROUTINELY see hwy patrol & co sheriffs on 10. Any of us familiar with driving it know this presence alone is a great deterrent.

Furthermore, officers ARE ticketing speeders. Fines, courts & whatever other consequences you want to add, ie higher insurance premiums, are NOT lacking.

Shoulder paving seems like a good idea. Not only to decrease rollover risk, but also to provide a wider space for drivers to divert their vehicles around wrecks, deer, debris, rolling tires (as occurred a few weeks ago), near-collisions, etc., & safer space to pull over & change a flat tire. And I wouldn't be surprised if more people push a bit further before gassing up with the prices what they are these days, leading to some additional shoulder sitting while waiting or walking for that little red plastic jug-o-fuel.

THE REAL PROBLEM is...(con't next post)

katie21 7 years, 10 months ago

thank you for all the posters that hoped for the best. This is my soon to be sister-in-law and she is doing well and the kids are ok. I read the posts all the time but never said anything until now. Please remember that family members and friends read the comments so think about what you write before you post it. thank you.

wecandoit 7 years, 10 months ago

I wish they would pave the entire shoulder out on K-10. That might save a few lives. 70 + mph and gravel shoulders don't mix. I sure hope they all are okay.

jimincountry 7 years, 10 months ago

compmd, you're correct, the drivers and the suvs............. the road didn't cause anything!!

compmd 7 years, 10 months ago

my thoughts: 1) enforce the speed limit, see how drivers like fines and lawyers' fees 2) eliminate most suvs. there is nothing sporty about them and most have little utility.
3) go back to station wagons. how many of those have you seen flip over lately?

KsTwister 7 years, 10 months ago

High profile,short wheel base---this is the fourth 4Runner that I have seen or heard about. It's windy, doesn't take much if you don't know how to handle those SUV's.

redmorgan 7 years, 10 months ago

I really hope they'll be ok. It is a scary road...people speed like maniacs on K-10.

classclown 7 years, 10 months ago

Talking on cell phones + driving too much vehicle one can handle = disaster.

Curtis Lange 7 years, 10 months ago

60 mph? haha On K-10? haha Let me catch my breath here. Wooo. While we're at it, let's just reduce ALL highways speed limits back to 55...

It's not the speed limit that is the problem. It's not the highway that is the problem. It's the idiots that drive on the highway that are the problem.

paladin 7 years, 10 months ago

Thank you. And thank you LJW.

littleme 7 years, 10 months ago

It was a white SUV, not sure what kind. It was upside down all the axels/wheels had broken off.

paladin 7 years, 10 months ago

A follow-up with info re type of vehicle, at least, would be nice. To save allot of people allot of worry that it might be their loved ones. I am not going to watch channel 6 news because I don't get it. These "breaking stories" are sadistic, if there is not more info to follow.

littleme 7 years, 10 months ago

I saw the wreckage...I am VERY surprised that anyone lived through it! Hope they recover.

frankzappa 7 years, 10 months ago

the ol' "Lenexa-Lawrence Autobahn" needs to be renamed the "Russian Roulette Trafficway" as you are literally risking death or serious injury each time you travel on it.

I use this road to commute to work 5 days a week, and have done so for the last 20 years. It is scary, and the speed limit needs to be reduced to 60 mph. I wouldn't mind leaving ten minutes earlier to be safer.

mefirst2006 7 years, 10 months ago

hope they are going to be okay...

conservativepunker 7 years, 10 months ago