Archive for Friday, May 12, 2006

Man in HIV exposure case faces new charges

May 12, 2006

More charges have been filed against a Lawrence man accused of knowingly exposing women to HIV.

Assistant Dist. Atty. Trent Krug said in court Thursday that his office had filed a fourth HIV-exposure case in Douglas County District Court against Robert W. Richardson II, 29. It also was announced during the hearing that Richardson had a new criminal arrest warrant out of Emporia with a $50,000 bond.

Details of the Emporia case weren't available Thursday. Lyon County Atty. Marc Goodman said he couldn't legally discuss the case because the warrant hadn't been served.

"That is a suspect whose name is known to us," Goodman said. "I cannot go so far as to say it's one of the same victims with another location or another victim."

In addition to the Kansas cases, Richardson has an HIV-exposure case pending in Johnson County, Mo., that was filed last month. He was arrested on that case last week but later released from jail on $10,000 bond.

Cases against Richardson have been trickling in since the first Douglas County case was filed against him in March. All four Douglas County cases involve different victims.

Krug said more cases were being filed based on new information from women who are coming forward, not based on new incidents that are happening while Richardson is out on bond awaiting trial.

Richardson did not attend Thursday's hearing. Judge Stephen Six raised his bond to $25,000 on each of the three previous cases filed in Douglas County.

Comments

Kelly Powell 8 years, 7 months ago

Anybody work with DCCAP/ What's your take on this?

trinity 8 years, 7 months ago

you know, i believe i made a mistake in my reading of the jw today. i read the article about the country preacher who passed away very recently, almost first; the article about him&his life&devotion touched me deeply.

then i come&read about dirtbags like this. i have got to be more careful in the order i read these articles.

KaraGourley 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree this guy should not be out on bond.

What also bothers me is how many of these girls are having unprotected sex. I realize the one said they started with a condom but come on.

I hope that young people see this and think twice before just sleeping with anyone.

GardenMomma 8 years, 7 months ago

I agree with the condom thing. It is just too risky these days to have unprotected sex.

But I do think this guy is a sociopath, a liar, a manipulator, and a predator. It's been reported that he has known he's had the virus for about ten years. That signifies a lack of responsibility to me, especially since he's been having unprotected sex and NOT telling the women he's been with that he has the virus.

If one has a communicable disease (curable or not), doesn't one have the DUTY to inform partners of their risk? If not a duty, then at the very least a MORAL RESPONSIBILITY? Apparently, this guy has no morals.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

So, Conservative Man, if you get the flu, should we lock you up? The flu is a killer, and is far easier to spread by casual contact.

Yes, I wonder too: If I was an attempted murderer, could I make bail? If I shot a gun at my wife, but missed, would they let me out that quickly?

My guess is that he hasn't ever taken responsibility for having contracted HIV by his own risky behavior, so he blames "women" for his problems. Men who indulge deeply in sexual fantasies eventually become desensitized to the idea that the women they have objectified are "people". He probably thinks "I really can't get enough of women" without really realizing that he actually has a deep distain for women. Sexual obsessions eventually lead a person down those paths.

But, I'm only assuming. It could simply be that he's made murder his personal hobby or something like that. He may not be very complex, he may just be an old-school "killer".

KaraGourley 8 years, 7 months ago

HIV/AIDS does not need to be quarantined. I know someone with AIDS that received HIV from a blood transfusion when he was a child. He has Hemophilia and didn't do anything to deserve it.

This guy probably contacted it through unprotected sex or drug use and has no respect for himself and therefore no respect for others.

openyourmindandshutyourmouth 8 years, 7 months ago

Conservativeman, you are not conservative, you are ignorant. And how humane of you to ship them all off to somewhere else. Sweet! While were shipping people off, maybe we can create a conservetard colony!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Conservativeman, you just put HIV infected people on par with convicted criminals. I think you went a little too far.

What you are describing is not quarantine, but INTERNMENT. I get the impression that you are looking down on the HIV infected, as if they are unwanted people. Every day you brush up against people at the grocery store who have HIV. There's no cause for your statements. Unless you are having sex with them, you are not going to get their cooties. What is your beef?

noodle 8 years, 7 months ago

I hope this story will make people stop and think about what could happen. Everyone always thinks it will happen to someone else.

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

It's ignorant to consider any other country as being more "enlightened" than much of Africa. I sure hope Marion doesn't consider himself more enlightened than anyone. If we tested all of the U.S., then there's a very good chance we would see that our percentage of infected people is just as high as many countries in Africa. There are also many countries in Africa that have low rates of infection. Sadly, not enough people are getting tested, even here in Kansas.

Those who are positive in this country are given meds that can keep them alive and gives them the ability to infect others. Is that any better than not treating them? The people here are definitely not more enlightened. They are just lucky they can be spoon-fed their meds.

hipper_than_hip 8 years, 7 months ago

Think of the stratigic implications of HIV/AIDS decimated African armies who are unable to fend off attacks from outsiders interested in controlling their water, grain, oil, etc. for economic gain. What if South Africa were unable to protect it's mineral wealth? I can very easily imagine the Europeans re-colonizing parts of Africa, or for that matter, the US stepping in to secure oil reserves in countries like Chad, Sudan, Nigeria, etc.

christie 8 years, 7 months ago

Cuba has one of the lowest infection rates of any country. Why? Because everyone in that country is tested, positive results are verified, and they are then quarrantined at specific locations. They get a nice place to live, good food, medical treatment. They lack for almost nothing.

I'm sure the religious right would like everyone tested. Those positive would be tattooed on the forehead, and of course their Phone Numbers would be reviewed, everyone they called, who called them... how sweet, the NSA has that info on file. They would then eventually be rounded up and shot. Much cheaper than quarrantine and very effective.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

Confrontation said "If we tested all of the U.S., then there's a very good chance we would see that our percentage of infected people is just as high as many countries in Africa."

No way. In some African nations the government was actually teaching the populace that AIDS is a rumor, an old wive's tale. They were teaching their people that it didn't even EXIST, while here in America we have all kinds of AIDS awareness education. There were even rumors in parts of Africa that if you had AIDS you could get rid of it by having sex with a virgin, which is not only spreading the disease, but has created an epidemic of rapes as well.

No, we have no idea how bad it is in Africa. Ignorance, misinformation and moral liberalism is killing them off. As God told the Israelites: "My people perish for a lack of knowledge."

OldEnuf2BYurDad 8 years, 7 months ago

"They would then eventually be rounded up and shot."

C'mon Christie. You actually think this would happen? Even IF you think the religious right is "bad", you actually can imagine an America where we line up HIV positive people and shoot them?

GOPConservative 8 years, 7 months ago

I'm always amazed at some of these so-called "conservatives" who post here.

They consistently favor expanding the role of government and spending more tax money on watchers, enforcers, regulators, prosecutors and jails.

It used to be the liberals who were the big-government, big-spending fools. Now, it is those who pervert the name "conservative" who think a bigger and more repressive government is the answer to every problem.

They seem to think that as long as they follow their fiscally-liberal, big-government tirades with a slam against "libtards," no one will notice that they are the ones who support expanding the role of government and spending more of our taxes on socialistic measures.

Tony Kisner 8 years, 7 months ago

Sub-Sahara Africa is so corrupt it will need little help from Europe or the US to implode. Actually it already has. You no longer need to invade a country to take its mineral wealth, just like you no longer need to put someone in actual chains to make them a slave. Cash to the correct person does the job.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

I cannot believe the stuff I am reading in these comments I hate to say this but some of these comments just make me ashamed to even be from laerence. Aids/Hiv kills end of story and people who spread HIV on purpose are murders please remember not every one with HIV/AIDS got it from sex even in the year 2006 aids tainted blood get into blood banks AIDS/HIV is a global problem but to treat people like cattle or ignore them in hopes it will go away and you will not have to deal with it or even admit it exsits is just shameful. And interment camps are not the answer hello can any one say Hitler.....

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

I can't believe how ignorant people are about their own country. Go ahead and bash Africa for their high HIV/AIDS rates, but realize that our country isn't much (if any) better. There is an extreme lack of testing here in the U.S., regardless of the national campaign to fight HIV. We have young children who are getting HIV and dying in their mid-20's. We have girls and boys being raped by infected relatives. We have people who still believe the government created HIV to get rid of African Americans. We have those who refuse to get on meds, even though being on meds can often reduce the chance of infecting others. How is this so much different from certain countries in Africa. It still shocks me how many people consider Africa to be one country. Look at some of the success against HIV in countries like Senegal. Too many Americans are blind to the struggle right here at home. Do some research instead of spreading ignorance.

bankboy119 8 years, 7 months ago

AIDS really is NOT that much of a factor in the US contrary to popular belief. I'll have to find the article that was talking about the amount spent to fight different diseases and by far AIDS passed all the others combined. When looking at the number of individuals it affects here compared to cancer, the number one killer by far, it is disgusting how much we spend on it.

No there's not a cure. There is a solution though. Wait until marriage.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

Well I also have seen africa first hand and to say it will not survive with out the west is just dumb, yes dumb. It has survived a h-- along time with out the west. Yes when it comes to aids education they need help mostly because they are lied to about it. And the tribal fighting can be hard to witness but this will also get better when they are open to change people here should not pass judgement on a way of life they have no concept of and on a people who are very distrustfull of just about all people espessially western ones who tend to give with one hand and slap down with another in their experiance. I know alot of americans truley want to help and thankgod for that but the croocks come in all shape and sizes so these so called poor unenlightend people trust only themselves and that is life so when people travel to these places they should be ready to see anything deal with every thing and leave judgement at home. And if the refugee camps you saw upset you you are lucky most of them are attacked by rebels and governmant military with undiscrmintory killing from newborn to 100yr old so please tell me why they should trust anybody?

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

not trying to yell but to say entire culture and country should be wiped out and the they are ignorant just makes me mad

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

much heated debate to say the least. The story seems to have gotten lost in all this so back to that. He knows what he is doing and should pay for it in what ever manner the courts decide, my decision is not for nice people to hear so they should, hgouhdthothhgghioytiohgdhghghg him fill in your own words people.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

what is so sad is you have this story and then the one about the guy from ill. who is charged again in molestation charges the world has to many sick people in it. I am scared for all the children I think our court system has failed all of them and themselves be punished.

Confrontation 8 years, 7 months ago

Bankboy "AIDS really is NOT that much of a factor in the US contrary to popular belief."

I doubt you know the difference, but HIV and AIDS are not the same thing. The reason the number of AIDS cases hasn't been increasing is because medicine is keeping those infected at the HIV status. HIV can be passed from person to person. Someone with AIDS can give HIV to another person. It takes a person with HIV about 10 years to reach AIDS status (if they are untreated). Just because you aren't seeing a huge AIDS increase doesn't mean HIV is not a huge factor in the U.S. The AIDS numbers will increase as more people become immune to the current meds due to not taking them properly. Research has shown that Africans are more likely to stick to their med routine than Americans. Americans seem to think they're invincible. If we ignore the impact of AIDS, then more young kids will get HIV because they don't know the difference and won't take anything seriously.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

no thank you marion just the idea of him is making me sick but I think people should go further than that first page, yes i did open the link, why do people like this keep getting out on the street? cross the street wrong and watch out try to kill people oh well get a second chance someone help us because our court system is not

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

sorry that came out wrong just meant was to much for me but could be interesting to others

BritBoiNYC 8 years, 7 months ago

Ok I am thoroughly confused. I'm British so maybe I'm just ignorant of the law here, but how did he get out? Didn't they say he had warrants in another state? This guy must be wealthy, because it seems to me that money is the only thing that can get you out of this much trouble.

And MARION (Larry), where's all that info we've been waiting on? Be a good bloke and post it! lol I'm wondering why no guys have come forward since you said that he was spreading it to them also. Lets hear what you have!

pissedinlawrence 8 years, 7 months ago

Yes we should just sit back and watch Africa kill itself and Yes its horrible that they let a murder out on the street.

Christine Pennewell Davis 8 years, 7 months ago

agreed he is dangerous and needs to be locked in a dark hole and left in my opinion it links him in the serial killer catagory. Why are people so hung up on the africa deal the people have been lied to cheated and left uneducated about Aids and Hiv by their own governments and when the are not being killed by them they are starving, get over it people

simplyks 8 years, 7 months ago

If the government threatened to quarantine anyone with HIV or AIDS, would anyone actually admit to the illness?

simplyks 8 years, 7 months ago

To make the charge of attempted murder, I would think that it would be important to be able to prove malicious intent rather than carelessness.