Archive for Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Weekend fire at duplex kills 8-year-old boy

March 21, 2006


— An 8-year-old boy died Sunday in a fire at his home, becoming the third fire fatality in Wichita this year.

Brad Crisp, captain of Wichita's fire investigations unit, said the boy, Joshua Cobb, had been playing with a cigarette lighter in his bedroom and sought refuge in a closet when he couldn't get out after the fire started.

The boy's 6-year-old brother got out and alerted the mother, Crisp said, but by the time she reached the room the flames prevented her from getting to the closet.

Firefighters found the boy's body in the closet.

The mother, the younger brother, another juvenile and an adult male who were in the duplex residence escaped without injuries. The fire caused an estimated $30,000 in damages.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.