Advertisement

Archive for Sunday, July 30, 2006

Six people killed in latest New Orleans shootings

July 30, 2006

Advertisement

— Three brothers and a friend were killed in a neighborhood not far from the French Quarter, and two other people were gunned down in separate incidents hours later, authorities said Saturday.

Police found a 31-year-old man lying in the middle of a Central City street with multiple gunshot wounds, officer Garry Flot said late Saturday. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, the sixth slaying in the city in 24 hours.

The shootings were the latest round of killings as the city struggles to rein in violence that has shadowed the recovery from Hurricane Katrina.

In mid-June, Gov. Kathleen Blanco sent the Louisiana National Guard and state police to New Orleans to help fight crime there after five teens were shot to death in a single attack.

Such sensational murders have a crippling effect on the city's struggle to rebuild its tourism industry and persuade evacuees to return, said New Orleans City Councilman James Carter.

The latest shootings did not happen in the high-crime areas police have been targeting in their drive to stamp out the violence, police Supt. Warren Riley said Saturday.

Detectives were uncertain about the motive and were still looking for the assailants Saturday.

The three brothers - 16-year-old twins and a 21-year-old - were killed late Friday in the Treme neighborhood, as was their 39-year-old friend, Riley said. All four lived nearby.

They were sitting on the porch of an abandoned house when two men walked by, then turned around and started blasting, Riley said.

The fifth shooting happened early Saturday in the Gentilly neighborhood, an area that was severely flooded and has been slowly rebuilding. Police said they found a man dead in a street after they received reports that shots had been fired.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.