Archive for Thursday, July 20, 2006

Yellow House to close doors

Investigation, lost business cited in decision to sell store

July 20, 2006

After months of search warrants, police investigations and lost business, the owners of the Yellow House, 1904 Mass., have decided to shut their doors.

"I don't see it getting any better," owner Guy Neighbors said. "It's just too much stress to run a business under."

Neighbors said both the secondhand shop's business and building were officially on the market, and he planned to liquidate the longtime Lawrence business' inventory to help keep up with mounting bills.

Those bills have been more and more difficult to pay since police began a public investigation of the business in December last year, Neighbors said.

The Lawrence Police Department announced at the time that investigators suspected The Yellow House was the center of a large, sophisticated fencing ring that involved selling stolen goods on site and on an eBay auction site online.

Since then, Neighbors said, the department has shut down at least seven different eBay sites belonging to Guy and Carrie Neighbors, as well as their friends and family.

Guy Neighbors, left, and his wife, Carrie, owners of the Yellow House Store, 1904 Mass., have decided to close their business. They say the police investigation that began in December have negatively affected the business.

Police and federal authorities have also served at least two additional warrants.

The investigation has also expanded to the federal level, with both the U.S. Postal Service and Internal Revenue Service serving search warrants on the store and the Neighbors' home earlier this month.

Neighbors said he believed he and his wife were suspected of mail fraud.

The U.S. Attorney's Office, which is handling the federal prosecution, has not yet filed charges against the Neighborses.

Neighbors said he believed that closing his business could cut down the amount of time police had to file charges by limiting the property they could serve search warrants on.

Plus, he said he is fed up with police coming into the business because the store unknowingly bought an item that had been stolen.

"We just can't live anymore worrying about everybody that comes into the store," he said.

Neighbors has not set a date for the store's closing.

Comments

bthom37 9 years, 1 month ago

So 8 months of investigations and no charges?

WTF? In all these raids, they haven't come up with enough to charge them?

Thank heaven the police aren't wasting my money! Oh, wait, they are.

Thanks guys! I didn't need that money anyways!

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

I have had Carrie come out to my house for appliance issues and she has always been super sweet. Its sad to see them have to close down.

I wish your family well and keep your heads up.

mutpuppy 9 years, 1 month ago

TO THE YELLOW HOUSE FAMILY:

It is unfortunate that the LPD can run a business of 25 years into the ground without having to come up with any evidence of even file charges. It sickens me that there were no consequences to the officers that told the media you were the "largest fencing operation in the hisotry of lawrecnce" and made you look like criminals without and grounds to stand on or any proof.

I am disappointed in some of the citizens of lawrence for how quickly they turn their back on your and shun the situation and them too having no more proof than the police. I am also proud of the rest of them who sympathize with your situation and are able to see through all the political crap that's going on.

Not only have they destroyed your business but your reputations and your now your family. How will you make a living as two people who have no jobs and not work history other than owning your own second hand store? Don't you have children going to college in the next few years? I guess all the money you had saved up for that has been soaked up by your attorney fees and piling bills from being unable to maintain your ebay business. I sure hope you don't end up loosing your home over this too.

Keep faith that the justice system will not fail you in the end as it has the past 8 months. You have my support.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sold on the whole "someone wants that corner" theory. There is an eyesore of a former gas station on one corner, a crappy convenience store on the other, YH, and another developed corner that's mostly empty. Why not cite the crappy ex-gas station for having cars strewn all over and "take" that corner?

I'm not saying that YH deserved this, but I truly doubt that the local cops and the postal service are doing all this because someone bribed someone to go after THAT corner so that someone could develop it into something. What's the point of driving YH under and not go after the liquor store next door? I'm not buying the conspiracy theory.

staff04 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion- It seems that you are arguing against development on this board, but have your panties in a bunch laying blame for a lack of development on this other board:

Posted by Marion (Marion Lynn) on July 20, 2006 at 5:31 a.m. (Suggest removal)

Well, you wanted the "Progressives" and now you not only have them but you will live with the reults of their Reign Of Economic Terror!

Ya'll have a nice day, ya hear?

Thanks.

Marion.

Does anything that happens in this town make you happy? Are you just a chronic malcontent, or am I missing something here?

Kathleen Christian 9 years, 1 month ago

Well there goes another affordable place to buy stuff. These second hand shops are necessary here in Lawrence unless wages are increased and rents put on a freeze. How are people to live? Perhaps the conspiracy (and this is a long range site) is to do away with lower middle class in Lawrence and keep the rich college kids and wealthy developers, etc. Eventually the developers will completly take over East Lawrence and build, densly cheap made housing and charge high rents. Isn't this the new American way? I'm sorry for your troubles YH.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

Hmmm. Interesting.

I have to take you to task on "will have the occasinal car sitting around waiting for pickup or repair". We do not have the same idea of what "occasional" is.

Wilbur_Nether 9 years, 1 month ago

staff04, I suspect you have just positioned yourself to be the target of invective ad hominem commentary.

staff04 9 years, 1 month ago

enforcer- I just wanted to know where Marion stands on development in Lawrence. Doesn't have anything to do with a "head in the sand," as you assert. On this page, unless I am misinterpreting his words, he seems to oppose developing that intersection. On the other page he criticizes the city commission for slowing development. I don't think you can make as much noise as he does and have it both ways.

"history clearly shows the road that is being taken and time will show the result."

Ummm...I don't know what to say about this...

mutpuppy 9 years, 1 month ago

there were over 10 items "recovered" from the pawn shops last week that were stolen... maybe you should buy your stolen goods there!

jafs 9 years, 1 month ago

I wonder what the requirements are for businesses who buy used items from individuals - are they supposed to keep records to ensure they aren't buying stolen goods? At the least, it seems YH wasn't being very careful about that.

monkeywrench1969 9 years, 1 month ago

Mut

How quickly did the pawn shops turn over the stolen goods to the police, did they take id, did they cooperate with the police, did they try to misrepresent facts to make themselves look better or sell weapons as belt buclkes and necklaces.

I know the guy who used to own Play it Again Sports. HE was constantly at odds with YH because they took stolen property and would not return it to the rightful owners or the police without a fight. Dave is a great guy and he always turned over the property to rightful owner or cops. He even caught several guys trying to pull a scam of stealing a bike, selling it and then have another guy come in and say it was his bike so they got paid and the bike back (did not work)

He is out of business now but it was not because of the cops targeting him.

Confrontation 9 years, 1 month ago

Please, oh please, won't you post another Yellowhouse poem? Maybe something about "the man" bringing you down.

daman 9 years, 1 month ago

For those of you that are conspiracy theorists, especially enforcer and marion (I'm not convinced "enforcer" isn't Sarah Swain), the fact it's been eight months and no charges doesn't mean squat. Not only do these types of investigations take time to gather sufficient evidence to convince a jury (comprised in part of liberal nut jobs like some of you) but it takes prosecutors additional time to prepare the case prior to actually charging. In this case, I'm confident the Feds will be prosecuting these two. I'm sure indictments are around the corner. I'm sure that no matter the evidence some of you will continue to blame the LPD because that's what you do regardless. By the way, did any of you see the marijuana plant the LPD carried out of their house during the last search warrant, it was on channel six, hmmmm. I wonder if the LPD fabricated that crime too.

monkeywrench1969 9 years, 1 month ago

I saw the channel 5 footage of it. It was prefaced with the reporter saying Carrie Neighbors reported nothing illegal was going on with them and "moments later" the police exited the residence with potted Marijuana plants and lights that look like they were growing in their home.

I never thought enforcer was Swain...but it makes sense. The news had her supporters outside YH protesting which would lead you to believe they don't have a lot to do down there but type on the internet.

fiveohtr 9 years, 1 month ago

jafs: It just so happens that guy and carrie had paperwork on every transaction made in their shop. When an item was brought in to be sold, the individual had to sign a document saying that the item belonged to them and that it was not stolen. They also had to show id and give there personall information. These forms were then turned over to the LPD every monthy at the end of the month. What more could they have done?????

monkeywrench1969 9 years, 1 month ago

The blame society at its finest. The YH's behavior to accept stolen property is what did them in...the police were there to help them realize their actions were wrong.

Similar to a parent saying you can't take other kids stuff and sell it to your friend and keep the money. Hey I hated my parents when they pointed out I was bad, but I later realized I WAS WRONG... NOT MY PARENT FOR POINTING IT OUT.

monkeywrench1969 9 years, 1 month ago

Five

I find the "records" argument hard to believe since the police have had to do search warrants over and over to get information...

Guy and Carrie both have confirmed the police have been at their place with search warrants in the paper and that is part of their argument they are being harassed. If they were turning over records the cops would not need a warrant.

MaryKatesPillStash 9 years, 1 month ago

I like the Neighbors family and all, but they did have this weird obsession with Ebay...

daman 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion,

I'll take you're work that "enforcer" isn't sarah swain (YH's lawyer). Second, the only thing that drove YH out of business was YH. They couldn't do it without fencing and now that their fencing operation has been exposed they are done. Third, I'm not one of the "moaners" regarding legalization of marijuana. I am opposed to leagalization. Be ready to be "suprised" when they get indicted. Mark my words, it's going to happen.

daman 9 years, 1 month ago

Not that I have any personal knowledge of how the LPD knew what was going on, but chances are they do pay close attention to 2nd hand stores and pawn shops since a ton of stolen property usually turns up at these places. Once they suspected some monkey business at YH I'm sure they used an informant and/or an undercover office to go in and "sell" some stuff and it's all on tape. LPD is not dumb, in fact, that is a pretty sharp department (no, I'm not a cop, never was, never will be). The Neighbors know they're toast, that's why they're getting out. They're just hoping some of you might feel sorry for them at least up until the truth comes out. I wouldn't attach myself to their plight because in the end, you'll look as stupid as they do criminal.

monkeywrench1969 9 years, 1 month ago

Mary KAte

Were they selling or buying a lot on Ebay? How would you know this.

Or were they obsessed with holly hobby dolls

tweetybird2 9 years, 1 month ago

Guy does have a work record. He used to work with my husband. He was very well liked and as far as I know had a good work record. Good luck Guy. Hope everything works out for you.

tweetybird2 9 years, 1 month ago

I have considered selling stuff on e-bay. I called the state and they told me we did not have to pay sales tax on e-bay sales. I'm sure you have to report it as income on federal income tax.

bugmenot 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion:

If they want to develop the corner of 19th and Mass why not the other corners where there is not crap, why not shut down the gas station or the car lot hunk of crap sitting on the other corner. Quit scaring people with your made up conspiracy theories.

Thanks

Thepersonwhodoesntmakecrapuptoscarepeople

BrianR 9 years, 1 month ago

Wow, everyone seems to "know" so much - impressive.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

"For this he should be shut down?"

No, I'm not saying shut down. I just think that too many "car" places get away with clutter. They should be required to keep their cars inside, or put up a decent fence so that people don't have to look at it all. I have a relative who runs a very professional car shop. He does a brisk business, but has very few cars outside, and when he does, they don't stay around for long. I used to live near Wendland Performance. Those guys are the worst when it comes to this. If someone is going to be in that sort of business, they need to have sufficient facilities to do what they are trying to do without making an area look like an impound lot.

Centrist 9 years, 1 month ago

Easy does it, gang ... it's soooo simple.

Negative press ruined this business.

Who'd go in there without a doubt about the origins of every piece of merchandise in the store?

No wonder business dropped off.

True - there should have been charges filed before the press got a hold of it, and that probably caused the end result.

However, the "free market" that so many of you espouse, is what did these people in. Yes, I feel bad for them, but only because no charges have been filed. If they are indicted later, so be it.

Oh, but let's have the "free market" decide everything, right?

Now, if you could just control the press .. oh wait, that's protected by the Constitution, isn't it!!

Yah yah ...

daman 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion,

I know you're a frequent flyer in here which makes me wonder what you actually do for a living. That aside, you come up with some wild crap and I'm being nice. You must read a lot of science fiction and probably have the entire CSI collection. With that being said, it's obvious, at least to me, you know very little about the judicial system other than what your "judge" friend has told you. I do question whether or not your friend is or ever was a judge, at least a district judge. Perhaps he was a "judge" at last years county fair smash 'em up derby. My advise to you, put your pants back on, get some kind of job, and stop talking stupid.

-peace

doc1 9 years, 1 month ago

I guess all the people in this board know more about investigating a crime than trained professionals. Next time something happens I should just post comments on here and all the know it all people can tell me how it needs to be investigated.

conservative 9 years, 1 month ago

Hmmmm, where's regina, she usually jumps in when people talk about the police.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

As for the article on this business being published before any arrests were made. I am sure the YH people complained to the press which in turn did a story. I guess trying to garner some sort of sympathy or something. I'm sure the LPD said, "hey it's a little slow today, lets go pick on a business". More than likely people started finding their stolen items in the YH store and reported it to the LPD and thats how that whole investigation probably got started. And it takes several months to gather information, paperwork, interviews, search warrants, etc to get done before arrests are made. I mean you might as well arrest them for all the charges at once. There is probably a statute of limitations on the length of time they can be prosicuted for there crimes and if they were arrested at the time the first stolen items were recovered they probably wouldn't be able to prosicute them later when other charges come up. I am not a lawyer or a police officer, this is just a guess. But it makes sense.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

I would give anything to know what Marion does for a living. Mysterious.

One thing I'm sure of: he probably doesn't work for anyone else. He's self-employed in some way.

hockmano 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion sounds like he knows what he is talking about to me.Maybe some of you feel threatened by his intelligence. I agree with you Marion. The best way to take someone down is through the system rather than using physical force. I learned that years ago through personal experience. Someone wants Yellow House gone and they used the system to do it.Sounds like the rest of you should open your eyes and ears.

It is too bad that a family who has lived here for years has been treated this way. Maybe some of you WILL open your eyes when it happens to you or someone you know!

guesswho 9 years, 1 month ago

Gee, Marion, could it be you are concerned about any other pawn shop in town?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion did say that he has an office downtown. I remember him saying that.

He's at the keyboard too much to be running anything retail or restaurant.

I'm guessing "import/export". Something like that.

daman 9 years, 1 month ago

Hockmano,

"it's too bad that a family who has lived here for years has been treated this way"? will you be saying that when they are indicted and subsequently convicted of fencing stolen property? Places like the YH give drug addicts and theives a place to stolen property. Not only things stolen from stores, but things taken from people like me and maybe you. Without places like the YH, it makes it more difficult to peddle stolen property. No, it won't stop, sure they're will be another "YH" but that doesn't mean you don't shut them down when you can. Some of you are so niave and forgiving. Until some crack head breaks into your house or your car and takes your stuff, then you'll want the LPD scouring the earth to find the bad guy and then want the courts to string him/her up.

Marion, now I'm convinced you're a nut job. You sound like a complete lunatic to me. I'm not trying to p*** you off but I'm really not too worried about your idle threats. You sound like a lonely and pathetic person who trys to gain some self-esteem by hiding behind your keyboard and espousing your crazy jibberish. Good luck with that who ever you are mysterious one.

guesswho 9 years, 1 month ago

Sorry about that Marion, didn't know you no longer had the business. I've been out of touch for a while.

It was the smoking ban, wasn't it?

conservative 9 years, 1 month ago

TOB, Yeah, found the timing rather humorous myself. She was probably already typing when mine posted. LOL

daman 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion,

Here's your idle threat.

I know that all I need to do to ruin your life if you p+++ me off is to work through the system and the system will do the job for me.

Wilbur_Nether 9 years, 1 month ago

At 11:59 a.m., daman hypothesized "You must read a lot of science fiction and probably have the entire CSI collection." The point being, I suspect, that he finds science fiction and CSI to be more believable.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

I gotta stay one step ahead of you conservative..lol

Wilbur_Nether 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion wrote that "Actually my friend was the Adminsitrative District Judge and quite knowledgable in his field." Which, undoubtedly, was administrative law.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

"Nope, it was not the smoking ban as I was unaffected by it.

I have simply chosen a different path."

SOMEWHERE in that cryptic message are all the clues we need.

Who would be unaffected by a smoking ban? A DUCK! And what do ducks do? THEY FLOAT! So, logically, if we tie up Marion and throw Marion in a lake...

nevermind

tweetybird2 9 years, 1 month ago

Sure have strayed from the topic here.

Christine Pennewell Davis 9 years, 1 month ago

and what does the occupation of marion have to do with anything?

Christine Pennewell Davis 9 years, 1 month ago

sorry all did not mean to open a can of worms but still do not see relavance.

Berserk 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion

Exactly how much free time do you have on your hands?

"they have anything to justicy it."

Apparently not enough :P

Just messing with you.

By the way, good riddance, pawn-shops are for stolen goods, hence, that is what they peddle.

°Thanks°

Zerk

Berserk 9 years, 1 month ago

I just thought that if this is a Marion bashing party I wanted to say something, however irrelevant.

:P

Zerk

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

"They have no lives themselves."

As someone pointed out to me once, when your number of posts gets into the HUNDREDS, you can no longer throw this stone.

I'm simply curious. That's all. I wonder what you do. You've done a number of things in the past, so I wonder what you do now.

thomgreen 9 years, 1 month ago

• I LOST my mind
  • The Royals will LOSE tonight.
  • I grieve for you LOSS.

and finally....

• I feel bad for them LOSING their house.

What is "loosing"? I keep seeing this in different posts on the LJW and I don't get it.

As for YH, I neither know the people personally nor have I ever had any dealings with the business. What I do know is the perception being formed from the media attention is painting this as a case of harassement. Whether or not that is the reality doesn't really matter right now. YH and the LPD are being judged in the court of public opinion and so far YH seems to be winning out. Maybe things will change when more substantial information comes forward, but as of now, the owners are winning out in my book too. But that's the funny thing about perception, it can outweigh reality sometimes.

And what's wrong with Science Fiction?

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

Withour reading much of the posts today due to lack on time left here on my lunc break, I do have this question for anyone who wants to reply to it.

If a person was to open a pawn type shop, how are they to know whether an item that someone brings in belongs, belonged to that person or if it was stolen?

How can you really tell these days? Serial numbers yes, but it it seems it would truely be hard to determine without an updated daily list from the police station.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

Now I remember... he once said that he makes "most of his money" on the internet.

Makes money on the web.

Used to own a pawn shop.

I think Marion sells Beanie Babies on the web for a living. eBay.

Marion: You're probably the guy who sold me that "locked" cell phone, aren't you?!

doc1 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion. I just have a question that seems to be pondering on my mind. Do you hate all cops or just the few bad ones?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion has been quiet. His auction on Treo 650s must be coming to a close. He'll be back as soon as all the reserves are met.

mutpuppy 9 years, 1 month ago

Everyone needs to leave Marion alone. And how does anyone know Marion Lynn is a guy... Could be a girls name. Regardless, their identity should remain anonymous like everyone else!

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

I have met Marion and hes a nice man. He has his thoughts about things as we do. To me he knows alot about what goes on here in Lawrence.

Marion,

How are the pups holding up in the heat? My cat seems to want to be outside alot. Maybe thats what cats like= heat. Hes inside right now because I picked up his butt and made him come in.........LOL

Christine Pennewell Davis 9 years, 1 month ago

way of track here as usual none of these forums seem to stay on track oh well life goes on.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

Marion's photo is on his web site. I hope in the name of all that is good that Marion is a man.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 9 years, 1 month ago

Why does this obscenity surprize anyone? Marion is right, the cops in Lawrence are out of control. I have lived here for over 30 years and I have not seen such vicious behavior anywhere else, ever. I have personally tried to get some resolution to problems with this police force, letters to congressmen, state representatives, others that should be in a position to do something. But the only response I receive is that the local city commission has responsibility for the police department. Right!! I contacted each member of the commission, got several responses from two commissioners, but no resolution. They simply will not face up to the glaring fact that the LPD is out of control, the police chief is embattled and entrenched in his glassed-in office behind the "Ronald Olin PHd" sign and is an incompetant and indifferent occupant of a position of public interest. With a city governing body that refuses to face facts, reality and intensly bad behavior, the city is largely at risk from this band of thugs who have unbridaled reign over citizens, thugs that Marion rightly characterizes as out to make a bust, not matter what. They got away with murder several years ago. But Ron Olin still reigns. They violate citizens rights, but Ron Olin still reigns. They have ruined a local business without any sufficient evidence to bring any charges of their specious notions. And yet, Ron Olin reigns. How much longer are the citizens of this otherwise great city going to put up with a toothless comission and city manager that lets this sort of disgusting situation exist. You are the voters. You decide, if you care.

JimmyJoeBob 9 years, 1 month ago

Sounds like enforcer is trying to get sued. Let's hear the names enforcer.

JimmyJoeBob 9 years, 1 month ago

IP, One way to tell if property is stolen is how much the seller accepts for certain items. Example if a person accepts a very small amount of money for an expensive item, or if items are brought in unopened packages, or if one person continues to bring in numerous items on a regular basis. If you are in the business you get a good or bad feeling about people. Trust me I have been in the trade a long time.

JimmyJoeBob 9 years, 1 month ago

Would that prevent me from calling you out if I was a cop? I am sure if you had any evidence you wouldn't refrain from naming a dirty cop. So the only logical thing to assume is you are making things up.

doc1 9 years, 1 month ago

Enforcer, yeah we are all cops here. Everyone of us posters who disagree with your knocking on police. Yeah even when you go to the grocery store those are cops posing as clerks so they can watch you. Dude, get a life.

Marion. Thank you for answering my question. I was just wandering what your thoughts were on the ethical officers. However, I disagree that every one of them are out to bust someone. But thats cool too. Some officers are bad but most I believe here are good.

dthroat 9 years, 1 month ago

And to add some fuel to the fire --- I don't think it is normal police procedure (even LPD) to notify the press (who the LPD does NOT like and get along with) when they are conducting an investigation or a search warrant. Guess who stirred the media up in this case???? Ya, the Neighbors. Search warrants are served quite often in this town and it doesn't seem the media is there (even at other pawn shops).

Seems like a whole lot of diversion going on with the YH. And do you think they might be selling before the Feds SEIZE what they have left?????

And still no poems?????

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

All you posters that whine about the cops are probably the first ones calling 911 for help. I have no opinion if the YH people are guilty or not, but the fact that they lied isn't helping me feel sorry for them. If they lied once they will again. Maybe the people who found their stolen items at YH are climbing all over the LPD to do something about the situation. Think about it, if you found your neighbor with your stuff that was just stolen, you sure would be wanting to press full charges against that person/s and would want your stuff back. That could be the case here, and once the LPD starting looking into it found alot more going on than just a few stereos and lawnmowers. Maybe once the initial report was turned in, the KBI saw it and decided they wanted it stepped up a notch. I am thinking since so many other agencys are getting involved that something HAS to be going on that is questionable. Do you think that the KBI or the USPS are targeting the YH? If so, for what reason? Things to think about.

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

Out of question here, but here goes........

My mom hit the back of a truck yesterday and was sited for ordinance 104 ( basically not paying close attention ). The thing is this.......This guy made a sudden stop to let out his passenger in the middle of 8th St after making a left off of N.H. I know the law states that when you hit someone from behind you are in the wrong.

The officer who took the report ( I won't mention his name ) told my mom that letting a person off anywhere in the street is legal. To me that sounds a bit strange, and also wouldn't be very safe.

Anyone in here think that maybe this officer is wrong, and where can I get info to see if he is right?

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

IP: Call the police department, they have officers their that can answer basic law questions about anything. I have called them several times for questions, they are very helpful.

Yeah, it probably isn't illegal to drop someone off in the street, but as a nice driver you would think that the other driver would pull to the side, or put on his flashers out of curtisy, but with all the crap drivers out there it doesn't surprise me.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

Just to add on to dthroat post, the media departments have scanners to most law enforcement agengies in and around DG county, they listen and write whatever stories they seem "news worthly". They also have access to all reports written by the police, as do the rest of the public.

dthroat 9 years, 1 month ago

IP - I think your son's deal is a "situational" thing that isn't covered by the strict letter of the law. I think if he goes to court and explains the situation to the judge (don't neccessarily need a lawyer and big bucks) it would be worth it to have a third party decide it. Just takes time out of you and your son's day, but might get some relief. This is assuming it was a city ticket, not a district court thing.

Regina - Yes you are correct, the media does have scanners and show up a lot of places they are not invited to. BUT, most police departments do not radio where they are serving a warrant (they telephone the dispatch) and how does Channel 5 manage to get there??? I think there were probably some calls made by somebody.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

OH I totally agree dthroat! I'm sure the YH people called there "laywer" and she called the media to show the "unfair, and harassing" treatment her clients were getting from law enforcement. I thought it was quite humorous as they are whining about being innocent and lawful citizens, here comes the pot plants and the equipment to grow them, didn't expect that did ya? I'm sure the look on their faces was priceless, on live TV and all.

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

It was my mom who hit this guys Tundra. This guy actually got out of the passenger side and yelled at my mom for hitting his truck. Apparently hes the owner but wasn't the one driving.

I did call last night and spoke with the desk sarg. He was no help and he said he couldn't give me an answer. He basically didn't know. He said to go to court and talk to the judge about it.

And you would think that he would have been nice enough to pull over a bit futher ( using his blinker, then his flashers ) to let his passenger out. I bet my mom is not the only one who has hit someone this way either.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

You could call Jerry Little's office, he's the city pros, they have answered questions for me as well for traffic laws, etc.

dthroat 9 years, 1 month ago

Sorry IP. Should read twice and post once. By all means have her appear and see what happens. Calling sometimes works, but one is not going to outguess the other (just in case someone is taping the conversation).

Regina - Yeah, I sure the lawyer did. And didn't expect that - although she should have since they found the same thing on the first warrant.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh, my bad, I didn't know that part. Well the light sure is shining brighter by the minute on this investigation. Thanks for the info.

sanders 9 years, 1 month ago

Maybe it's because IP's family is continually getting in car accidents.

I mention that so I can get a three paragraph response about how her family has been wronged by the terrible drivers of Lawrence.

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

My mom isnt trying to get out of anything. I just wanted to know if what the officer said is true. What he says just sounds strange. Would you just stop all of sudden without using any type of signal to let out a passenger on any given street?

Geez you two..........lay off.

OTTR......... Read above........

Sanders........You are new to this board I believe. You have no idea what goes on in my family. My son who was hit by a drunk this past Dec surely didn't deserve it. No three paragraph response needed here.

conservative 9 years, 1 month ago

IP, regardless of what someone tells you on the phone she won't get out of the ticket without either waiting and going to court, or going to the DA's office. Chances are the DA's office will tell her to wait and see what the judge says, but I think they will sometimes make an agreement to waive the ticket but assess court costs. That effectively keeps the ticket off the insurance radar.

My opinion is that your mother is probably in the wrong, sucks that someone stopped to let out a passenger, but your mom still is the one who hit them. Could have just as easily been them slamming on the brakes to avoid a pedestrian who jumped off the sidewalk, and we all know that happens down there too.

YourItalianPrincess 9 years, 1 month ago

Well thank you Conservative for being so nice. I know and she knows that when hitting someone from behind you are in the wrong.

I will call Mr. Little today and ask him about the stop issue with using your blinker or flashers.

She plans on paying the ticket so thats all good.

jafs 9 years, 1 month ago

If it is true that YH maintained sufficient records, then how is this whole thing even possible? And, I was primarily concerned with whether there are legal requirements for businesses. If there are, and YH complied with them, then (other than the pot thing), it seems to me that the police would have no justification for charging them with anything.

fiveohtr 9 years, 1 month ago

With YH being a resale shop and not a pawn shop, they did not have to have everyone fill out the paperwork that they did. However they chose to do so. The LPD should be ashamed of what they did to this family. The LPD is a bunch of worthless, corrupt, human beings. I have lost all respect for the entire department after seeing the way that YH was treated.

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

Would you really feel that way if you found some of your stolen items in the store??

jayheel 9 years, 1 month ago

YH still has a store in North Topeka where it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 9 years, 1 month ago

"The LPD is a bunch of worthless, corrupt, human beings."

So, next time you really need a cop, I guess you won't be wasting my tax dollars by dialing 911, correct?

No need to respond. We all know the answer, yet you insult an entire profession, a profession that separates what we call "civilization" from "chaos".

What a silly thing to post. All that rage over YH, a place that is at worst a criminal enterprise and at best being run without a lot of common business sense.

You say they are all "a bunch of worthless, corrupt, human beings"; but what do you call the Postal inspector's office, who also participated in the same investigation? Also, by coincidence, worthless and corrupt? Do you see how shortsighted your perspective is? The majority of your 14 posts are about cops and YH. You clearly have issues with the cops, but to call the whole organization the names you called them is low. If someone crawled through your bedroom window tonight, you'd be treating the cops like heros as they removed the burglar from your house. Admit it: you and I would be screwed if someone wasn't taking the risks that these "worthless, corrupt" men and women are taking on YOUR behalf every day.

You ought to pull your own post, but I'm guessing you'll come back with an attack on me, probably using a lot of "!!" and capital letters. Go ahead, we are all waiting for your explosion of rationalizing, attacking and back-pedaling.

monkeywrench1969 9 years, 1 month ago

Bob

don't worry about Enforcer...he always makes claims and never backs it up with real facts...constantly vague and general in the accusations.

He claimed to know the law in another thread and was seriously thrashed then failed to admit they were wrong. Their tactic is to yell louder and name call.

bizarre 9 years, 1 month ago

I looked up the records of lawrence. Last year 760 stolen items were recovered in lawrence. 8 of those items came from the Yellow House. The rest came from Pawn shops, other second hand stores, etc.

Those numbers make really poor odds that your stolen items will be found at the Yellow HOuse.

Also there were two businesses in Lawrence that were found with two stolen cars each on their property without vinn numbers or titles. Can any one name those two businesses?

No probably not, nor are they on the front page of the news paper or getting served a search warrant, or even being investigated. go-figure

justsomewench 9 years, 1 month ago

i feel like such a wallflower here.

in my 23 years in lawrence, i've never participated in the law enforcement frequent flyer mile programs that the folks that claiming widespread corruption apparently have.

what in the world do you folks do that require so many calls to 911?

which came first, the chicken or the egg, anyhow?

moveforward 9 years, 1 month ago

How different is yellow house from a pan ship. Yet the police allow pawn shops and check cashing businesses stay in business. Granted, they are charged with enforcing laws, not ethics, but seriously - if they document the purchases, what is the difference?

MerryPresent 9 years, 1 month ago

I don't know what the big deal is. I gave them way too much of my business before I wised up...

1983: bought a washer/dryer set from them at the actual Yellow House that was out south on Iowa. Only $100 for the avocado set...and young Carrie moved them into our house all by herself. She tore the linoleum. Her daughter, about 1 or 2 years old...was sweet...but while Carrie was wrestling with the appliances, the little girl picked up a dead, dried slug from our patio...and ate it, like a french fry, before I could stop her. I just couldn't bear to tell her ma.
Anyway. Washer and dryer were worthless, never ran well, and ended up breaking down very early on. Only two adults in the house, btw.

1995: bought first of FIVE FRIDGES from them. Each ranged in price from only $125 to $250. Each one...the compressor blew within months. Each time I went back. Carrie'd "give me a deal" on another one. I was moving them into my house by myself with a handtruck. Finally, I took #5 back to her, as I did with all of them. I bought #6 brand-new from Sears, and gave Sears $100 a month for a year, instead. It works fine...to this day.

2000: Moved into a different place, bought brand-new fridge, cookstove, and washer and dryer, from Sears. Sears had a deal then that whatever I bought would be delivered free, instead of the usual $40 per item. Well guess who shows up to deliver? THE YELLOW HOUSE TRUCK! Driven by two slacker-dudes, about 18, who obviously thought they really cool. Anyway...

1. They just left the stove bound up in its freight box in the middle of the kitchen floor.

(cont'd.)

MerryPresent 9 years, 1 month ago

1. They did put the washer and dryer into the laundry room (main floor level), uncrated, but they didn't hook them up, or plug them in or put the silver exhaust tubing onto the dryer, and they didn't leave the right plug-in for the dryer. When I asked about it, they said "you're not even supposed to get one." (?) I found out later, that I was supposed to get one...and I had told the Sears saleswoman what I needed, and she had written it down, and sent the right one with them.
    They left the boxes and plastic strappings from the washer and dryer crates in my living room. When I asked them if they could take those back, they said "we're not allowed to." Sears said later that they should have taken them back to Sears, where Sears could have crushed and dumpstered them.

2. They put my nice fancy fridge, still crated, in my barn, without even asking or telling me. When I said "where's the fridge" they said, as they were trying to leave, "it was too dangerous for us to take it into the house. " I said "how am I gonna ever get it into the house, if you guys can't?" They smirked and said "Sorry." I said "take it back then, if it can't go in the house, I'm not buyin' it." They looked nervous. I said "would you mind if I called your boss?" They said "No, go ahead." I did...and about 45 minutes later, Mr. Neighbors came out...he was very nice, and apologetic to me. He took one look at the crate in the barn...and at the path the fridge needed to take to get into my kitchen...and he rolled his eyes...and ALL BY HIMSELF....he put the fridge onto his dolly and he wheeled it easily into the kitchen. NO STAIRS. ONE LEVEL. NO BIG DEAL.
    Then Mr. Neighbors left...and Dazed and Confuzed left shortly after. I said "just a sec" and they just kept on going.

3. They didn't attach the shelves, bins, racks, plates, or anything in the fridge, once they got it into the house.
    Nor did they move the packing material out of the house.

I wondered later what their contract was like with Sears. My Sears salesperson said that they had a list of stuff they were supposed to do...and obviously the two young men had never looked at it...

So anyway. All these years...did I have back luck with them? Did I remind them of someone they didn't like? I was always really nice to them...I tried to buy local...I never argued with their prices or guarantees...but every time I ever went into their store...Carrie was just rude to me...never smiled...didn't like to answer questions...always seemed really stressed out.

mutpuppy 9 years, 1 month ago

enforcer you seem to sway back and forth from article to article on how you feel about this situation...

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

So basically, you can commit a crime against enforcer, because clearly she doesn't trust or use law enforcement.

Can I ask if you have a crime committed towards you or your family, how are you going to report it?

reginafliangie 9 years, 1 month ago

What happens if your home or car was burgarlized? Somebody was hurt or killed by another due to a crime or accident. Your not going to seek justice or any kind of legal alternative?

bizarre 9 years, 1 month ago

You ask what is the obsession with ebay.

Yellow House went to the trouble to get the dealership license, tags, paperwork and insurance required by the State and IRS to sell cars.

They can only sell cars on Ebay because they do not have a car lot. They can legally sell both their own cars and also list cars for other people.

However the police had them suspended with no proof of wrong doing or charges 8 months ago. Leaving them with no way to sell their cars!

Seems to me this would be a tremendous and unfair financial burden, especially when you are supposed to be considered innocent until proven guilty.

If all the police need to kick someone off Ebay is an investigation, then what happens to other businesses that depend on Ebay, if the police decide they dont like you they can have you kicked off without proof of any wrong doing.

What about the family and freinds that tried to help them by letting them sell on their sites, they got suspended too! And still there is nothing to substantiate the suspensions!

dthroat 9 years, 1 month ago

bizarre - Do you really think a large organization like E-Bay will pull someone's license on the LPD's whim. I am certain they have had to deal with this type of situation before and do not just react because a LE asks them to. And I am sure LE will give them more info than is posted in the LJW.

And to the other poster earlier - YH DID have a store in Topeka, but closed it during the investigation of the Lawrence Store ( even though there haven't been any public allegations on that store).

Regina - As I am sure you know, enforcer is one of those people who make the LE job even tougher. Crime happens (even to them) and they won't talk about it because of an irrational fear of the police. BUT they are the first to bitch when things don't get solved quickly.

mutpuppy 9 years, 1 month ago

dthroat.... bizzare is right... ebay did kick them off and their family off...if this goes to court, I imagine that a sopena will be sent to ebay to find out exactly what was told to them. There are suspecions that LPD told ebay the YH was under federal investigation and that was long before the postal inspector or feds were involved. Sounds similar to the allegations that the LPD told the people they detained that they were FBI. I guess time will tell.

dthroat 9 years, 1 month ago

Enforcer - I really hate to say anything to encourge you, but you actually did the RIGHT thing. Maybe it wasn't handled correctly at first, but that is not your fault. You helped out a neighbor. Good Work. And by the way because of you, the proper people were identified.

IF anything is done is up to the DA at this point.

Mutpuppy - I wasn't meaning to imply E-Bay did not kick them off (I don't know, but assume you are right) I am just saying they wouldn't take such drastic action without LPD showing them some proof or something. I don't think they would go on one person's statement to do something that big.

JimmyJoeBob 9 years, 1 month ago

Posted by enforcer (anonymous) on July 23, 2006 at 3:23 p.m. (Suggest removal)

I am not back and forth, clearly anytime a cop is involved I will be on the other side.

Enforcer is obviously everything she claims the Police Department is. This clearly shows she can't be taken seriously by her own words.