Archive for Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Jayhawk-sculpture vandals are recorded by camera

January 18, 2006

Yet another Jayhawk sculpture fell prey to vandals this week. This time the culprit was captured on a surveillance camera.

Jayhawk Bookstore, 1420 Crescent Road, reported Tuesday that Bit o' Hawk, a sculpture decorated with mosaic tiles, was ripped from its base and left on its side in front of the store. It happened between the end of the Kansas University-University of Missouri basketball game and 2 a.m. Tuesday.

"If this is sports rivalry-related, there are other ways," Bill Muggy, the bookstore's owner, said. "The field. The court. That's where this need to be taken out. Not on property."

Bit o' Hawk was one of the many stars of the 2003 Jayhawks on Parade display. Three Jayhawk sculptures, including Bit o' Hawk, stand on the bookstore property.

Bit o' Hawk is popular with tourists and students, Muggy said.

Another popular sculpture, "Classic Jayhawk," recently was retired from its perch outside the Kansas Union after a December incident in which it was ripped from its base.

Another sculpture in the Jayhawks on Parade project has been vandalized. The Bit o' Hawk by Katie Kring that sits outside the Jayhawk Bookstore, 1420 Crescent Road, was pulled off its base sometime late Monday or early Tuesday.

Muggy said it was very disappointing to see what happened to the Bit o' Hawk sculpture.

"This particular Jayhawk had been rehabbed by us last summer, bringing it back to a youthful-looking Jayhawk," he said. "Now it looks like it's on siesta."

The bookstore will attempt to clean up the sculpture and eventually will return it to the perch. But that may not be until March.

The bookstore reviewed footage from its security cameras Tuesday and found a record of the incident, though the images are dark and do not show the culprit's face.

The images are obscured by an outdoor light shining in the direction of the camera. But the footage shows the Jayhawk shaking back and forth and then falling, all within a few minutes. It shows a person topple the sculpture before running away. The incident was reported to Lawrence Police.

Comments

quitbitchin 8 years, 3 months ago

or maybe he's just a dumb*ss and can't help it.

mom_of_three 8 years, 3 months ago

evidently, dogood has never been to Oklahoma, specifically Norman. Talk about using a logo!!

Eric Beightel 8 years, 3 months ago

I would say that the name "Jayhawker" is indeed a state symbol dating back to the days of Bleeding Kansas. However, the current Jayhawk figure is most certainly a symbol of Kansas University - and not a symbol of Kansas itself.

Dogood - "I've never seen a university flaunt its logo more than here." What? How many college towns have you been to? It's the same thing everywhere. While other towns may not have mascot sculptures abounding - those were commissioned by the Chamber of Commerce - they all use the University influence to attract visitors. KU was here long before you and will be here long after you are gone and I would have to say that the amount of promotion of the Jayhawk has been fairly static over the years.

And yes, I am serious - I'm an alumnus and a lifelong fan. Some people go to church, some go to temple for a feeling of belonging and closeness with the divine. I go to Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse.

Linda Endicott 8 years, 3 months ago

Actually, the jayhawk is a state symbol, not just a university symbol. The KU ones are just made in a particular style.

wonderhorse 8 years, 3 months ago

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know you will), but wasn't it the city that sponsoered the jayhawk painting contest, and not the university?

Silence_Dogood 8 years, 3 months ago

"The Jayhawk is a sacred figure to those of us that worship at the alter of KU Athletics. Don't f#@k with it."

You sad, sad person. Oh my, oh my. The saddest thing is that you're serious, too. Go figure.

There are far too many chickenhawk statues in this town, anyway. I've never seen a university flaunt its logo more than here.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 8 years, 3 months ago

Who was the genius that installed the surveillance camera, then didn't check to see if it would actually work? Hmm...let's put this camera here and then we'll shine a light directly into the lense so that everything can be obscured...

Christie, what are the Jayhawk sculptures "a waste" of? Fiberglass?

pierced_daisy 8 years, 3 months ago

anyone else notice that both jayhawks were made by katie kring? odd...... someones stalking her lol

mom_of_three 8 years, 3 months ago

Christie,

The girls have lost 3 in a row, after going 12-0 at home. More coverage on the women's team would be nice, but I don't think the women want any coverage until they win again. The men's basketball team is fine.....and evidently you are not a KU fan. And no, the traffic will still be horribly on game day. Stay inside, with the covers over your head!

I don't know if the paper should have publicized that the face of the culpit wasn't caught on camera. Should have told them it was caught on tape, and let'em sweat

christie 8 years, 3 months ago

The silly little JayHawk Bird Thingies are stupid and a waste and the Mens Basketball Team is finally being put in their place, but I do not agree with destruction of private or public property.

By the way, do these last back to back losses mean I'll have to suffer less traffic on days when the Bois play with their big rubber balls? I certainly hope so.

How about those Girls. Go Girls Go. How about some coverage from the paper from a Winning Team.

Eric Beightel 8 years, 3 months ago

gr - your literal argument is weak. It has long been a tradition that the home team tear down the goal posts after a huge upset to celebrate the victory. University officials have installed goalposts that can be taken down in seconds - not because they are concerned with the vandalism , but because they are concerned for the welfare of those on the field tearing down the goalposts.

Defacing the Jayhawks which are on private propert under the cover of darkness is vandalism and it is cowardice. If the vandals are trying to make a statement that is sports related - then they should nut up and do it in daylight.

gr 8 years, 3 months ago

I don't know. I guess it depends on what one calls "really cool stuff", but I thought goal-posts were really cool. Then I hear that members of the home team tear down their own school's goal-posts and toss them into a lake. Sounds like sports-related vandalism to me. The sad thing is, most everyone thinks it's acceptable. So, when it comes to vandalizing an image of the school's mascot, what's the difference?

trinity 8 years, 3 months ago

you got that right neo...this p!sses me off more than i can say.

wish we had some fancy schmancy fbi-type equipment (i've been watching far too much tv) to enhance the video to the degree that the morons faces could be seen&identified.

i hope Jay can be stood back up proudly on his perch-then let me sit behind a bush with my cannon&wait for 'em to try it again.

i'm full of bluster but i'm damn MAD and sick of idiots vandalizing and tearing up really cool stuff-it just ain't right.