Archive for Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Breast-feeding bill advances in Senate

February 15, 2006

— The Kansas Senate today advanced legislation that would allow a woman to breastfeed in public.

If approved on a final vote Thursday, the measure will go to the House for consideration. No one in the Senate spoke in opposition to the bill.

"We believe it is healthy for the state to encourage mothers to breast-feed," Sen. Susan Wagle, R-Wichita, said.

Amy Swan of Lawrence was in the Senate gallery. "I thought it was great," she said after the Senate action.

Swan has been one of the main promoters of the legislation after she was confronted at a Lawrence health club and told to stop breast-feeding her daughter in late 2003.

Comments

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

although I adore Vito, I am not him, nor am I marion, or enforcer, or, or, or. what is this about? I am me and I think an uptight lefty started all this crap.

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 2 months ago

Don't know if anyone is paying attention to this thread anymore, but her goes anyway . . . Just because the complaint happened here doesn't mean that it was a Dem that took issue. PUH-leeease!!! That's like saying Californians invented earthquakes because the are know to happen there. There are plenty of the extreme right here. Is that not painfully obvious by some of the posts here? And Phil, c'mon now. Do you really believe it was the conservatives that were championing the cause to keep the government out of people's bedrooms? The right would like to claim they are for keeping the government out of people's lives but that has not been the case in recent history. The laws they are passing are seriously intrusive, and I mean SERIOUSLY. Protect freedom my @$$!!!! Jannie's comment was way off base, more so than mine I think, but you've got nothing to say about her/him? (personally I think she's actually Vito in e-drag, the only person that thinks Vito is a great man would be Vito himself). Talk about biased! To borrow from one of the Bobs, pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot . . .

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

WOW!
my post is still here? new easy goes-it policy with the site staff? amazing.

Multidisciplinary 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, like I said on Valentines, I think after Brokeback, things may be changing around here! Anyone hear about the kids who got kicked out for a cheer having to do with the movie? I missed it. I wonder what that was all about. Leave it to the HS'ers to figure a way to raise some cain for the fun of it. And I missed it LOL.

bearded_gnome 8 years, 2 months ago

you go Journeyman! good job. keep us abreast of how it comes out.

please, somebody explain Jannie, to me...zowie.

I'm a great supporter of women's breasts, however only my spouse's.

q: in what way are women's breasts like toy train sets? a: both designed for kids, but grown men love to play with them!

that'll get this post removed...tick tick tick...---swoosh!

blessed3x 8 years, 2 months ago

I really don't care if you choose to breastfeed in public, but please be considerate and throw a blanket over yourself. Don't ask everyone else to be understanding and tolerant of your position if you're not willing to do the same for them.

Philjourney 8 years, 2 months ago

This is sooo typical of the bias and prejudice from the left. Yes I know the right has issues too. But tomorrow more than 25 of 30 republicans will vote for this bill. I was the one that made the motion to remove the term discretly, too vague, and create the delay of service on a jury. Don't forget it was a blue dot (Douglas Co.) resident that treated a young mother so badly that this legislation was needed:-}

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 2 months ago

Still LMAO . . . I know! They were transported from a parallel universe where the blues are the twisted sexually repressed freaks and the reds are the groovy love monkeys

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 2 months ago

What planet are you from? Really, jannie? ROFLMAO, You're projecting in in the most extreme way I have ever seen. I guess all those liberals up there arguing before the the supreme court to strike down the sodomy laws (yup, a lot of what heteros do was/is considered sodomy) so you and your whatever could get yo' freak on legally and all of those conservatives trying in vain to maintain them had no idea the were both on the wrong wide of their own argument. That's rich.

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

cman I have no intention of giving up my bra without it these things could be considered a leatal weapon and as you know the council is now going for weapons, by golly I appriciate your support.

conservativeman 8 years, 2 months ago

This entire thread is ridiculous. Women feed babies, babies need food, WTF. What a waste of time arguing about doing the right thing.

OTTR, Don't burn your bra, it is environmentally unsound.

JannieCowinLawrence, Save your bra, gravity is wicked bad on old chicks. BTW, I don't think the Libtards are blocking breast feeding. That idiocy is probably from the Republicans.

Vote Independence Party! Where breast feeding your child is preferred over killing it.

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

hey everyone knows liberals are among the most uptight and sexually repressed individuals. Keep your laws off my breasts and I won't talk about you.

Azure_Attitude 8 years, 2 months ago

I don't know where you get off calling the hoopla made over women breast feeding in public "liberal crap," jannie, but that was the most ridiculous statement I have heard all week. Comments like that really help ease the dramatic polarization between the libs and cons and facilitate open dicourse - NOT.

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

Then what would I use for support? Jez I don't think I can, then someone would be offended that I sag and they would outlaw breasts altogether. I'm sure removal is elective surgery. What on earth would we do?

rhd99 8 years, 2 months ago

Hey, Senator OConnor, or whoever you are that's against women's rights, Go JUMP in A LAKE, you twit! Besides, if you are elected secretary of state, down with your election! Folks it's time to get rid of old timers like her, & move this state in a BETTER direction! The time is NOW!

offtotheright 8 years, 2 months ago

Well you said it!

Let's all burn our bras!

janniebullinlawrence 8 years, 2 months ago

It is so ridiculous all this liberal crap. I am so tired of hearing about how others are offended by the most natural things. Eveyones a victim now and if an individual perceives threat then it must be so, maybe this is like penis envy, I'm not even sure I can say that word on the forum but it is just as ridiculous.

nonimbyks 8 years, 2 months ago

Of all the problems we have in the state, and we worry about feeding babies in public with a little nipple? Who's offended by showing a little nipple? Never mind the SLT, the DA of Douglas wanting to ban off campus lunch for HS students, guns on Mass St., speed traps, Phred Pelts protesting, and the debate over wind engery in the Flint Hills. Now we can feed our babies the way babies have been fed for thousands of years! And we can do it in public because we now have a legal document?