City Hall

City Hall

A call for bar safety

Fights, gun seizures prompt city leaders to consider adding stricter regulations

December 27, 2006

Amid new reports of late-night violence in downtown Lawrence, city commissioners vowed Tuesday to take a hard look next week at changing how the city's bar industry operates.

Commissioners agreed to place on their Jan. 2 agenda a discussion of regulations that could require bars and other entertainment venues to go through a more stringent licensing process.

"I think we've dropped the ball on this issue," City Commissioner Sue Hack said of possible regulations, which were discussed by the commission about six months ago but never acted upon. "We needed to send a stronger message from City Hall. We have to say, 'We're not going to have this in downtown Lawrence.'"

The call for action comes a week after Lawrence police officers recovered what they called two "very, very dangerous" assault weapons from a vehicle downtown.

Club licensing

Commissioners didn't get specific on what new types of regulations they may want to pursue, but previously they discussed creating an "entertainment club licensing" system.

Lawrence leaders have examined Olathe's licensing system that requires nightclubs - whether they serve alcohol or not - to have a city license if they have an occupancy rating of more than 350 people. The ordinance exempts full-service restaurants, movie theaters and several other types of establishments. It mainly defines an entertainment club as a business that hosts bands or disc jockeys or has a dancing area.

A new licensing system could be useful in Lawrence, city staff members have said, because the city has no legal authority to revoke a bar's state-issued liquor license. The city is asked to sign off on the state license, but ultimately only the Kansas Department of Revenue can pull it.

The city could revoke an entertainment club license - eliminating the ability to host large crowds - if a business was found to be a place of frequent criminal activity or did not meet security requirements.

Mayor Mike Amyx said now is a good time to discuss the creation of new regulations.

"When we take that oath of office and promise to protect the health, safety and welfare, we take that very seriously," Amyx said. "With the reports coming in the way they are, I think now is the time to look at it. The message I'm getting from the commission is that we're ready to look at this in a very serious manner."

Weapons seized

A Lawrence police spokesman has estimated that officers have seized about 20 weapons that were illegally possessed in downtown during the last several months.

In mid-May, seven shots were fired inside Last Call, sending 200 people fleeing into the street. In February, two men were shot - one fatally - outside the Granada, 1020 Mass., following a concert at the nightclub.

Phil Bradley, executive director of the Kansas Licensed Beverage Association, said he would be happy to discuss the issue with the city. But he's not sure more regulation is what is needed.

"The city already has a huge toolbox of things they can do with codes, zoning, occupancy standards, fire standards, safety standards," Bradley said. "At any time the city can walk into an establishment and close it for safety reasons if they have just cause.

"It would seem they could use those things to address their concerns. How much more of a lever do they need?"

Night at the Bottleneck was quiet on December 26, 2006, while bartender Joe Talbot spoke with patrons. City commissioners have reviewed entertainment licensing ordinance downtown about whether there is a need for more officers to patrol downtown.

Julia Peterson, an assistant manager at the Bottleneck, 737 N.H., said she didn't want businesses that had not been cited for creating problems to have to pay more to comply with regulations.

But she would like city commissioners to address downtown safety.

"We're leaving work at about the time it seems like trouble starts," Peterson said. "It can be frightening."

In addition to the new entertainment club licensing system, city staff members have researched:

¢ creating a new city-run program to train nightclub bouncers and security personnel,

¢ using closed-circuit television cameras in city parking lots and street lamps to allow police to monitor activity in real time, and

¢ employing a system that would allow bars to band together and ban certain individuals from their establishments.

Amyx said he also wanted information from staff on how much it would cost to have additional police officers patrolling the downtown area near closing time.

Staff members also said they were researching the legality of creating staggered closing times for bars, so that the release of patrons into the street would occur at different times.

Comments

Katie Van Blaricum 9 years, 8 months ago

Exactly. Get rid of it! ...or move it to Topeka...

anotherdayinparadise 9 years, 8 months ago

It's like people say, "Those things happening outside Last Call could be happening anywhere." . . . . they just aren't.

lonelyboy 9 years, 8 months ago

When the license comes back up for review ... here's a thought City Management ... DON'T SIGN OFF ON IT . The City has the power to do alot to a club owner and make restrictions . They did it with Club 508 they can do it to this place.

rollcar 9 years, 8 months ago

This place is getting out of hand. Downtown Lawrence is going to start to get a reputation as being violent, and all the businesses will suffer.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

How can Liberty Hall have concerts and everyone there have a good, safe, respectful time? Frickin Rap and hip hop clubs are destroying, DESTROYING downtown. Last call and Grananda HAVE to go. I can't believe downtown business owners are not using their weight to deal with this problem. Someone is going to get killed on Mass st then NO one will come downtown. Act now!!!!!!

lonelyboy 9 years, 8 months ago

Someone has already been killed on Mass. and the City is doing nothing about it. Thanks City Managers.

rollcar 9 years, 8 months ago

Well now, I'm not sure I would lump the Granada into the same category as Last Call. Sure the Granada has had a few high-profile incidents, but to some extent that comes with the territory in this line of business. It's all about the response by the club's owners (or lack thereof in the case of Last Call).

And no, hiring extra bouncers to kick out gun-toting patrons is not an appropriate response. This place is actively inviting trouble inside and then trying to control it.

andilynn 9 years, 8 months ago

I think that they should take all the Hip Hop, Rap clubs out into the boonies. That way if someone feels the need to shoot somebody they can and not disrupt the rest of the city. Leave it to the bar owners and Security to deal with and let the LPD and DCS deal with the real issues. The way I see it, the people who bring in the guns/weapons do it for the publicity. Take that away and maybe the crime will disappear too.

lonelyboy 9 years, 8 months ago

Granada got a bad name .... But Last Call continues to stay in the news and becomes free advertising for this establishment it is obvious that the owner does not care. He would just try another lawsuit and believe he has some in the City scared.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

Granada got a bad rap? What kind of show was going on at the Granada on the night the guy was killed? Hmmmm. What kind of music goes on every night at last call? hmmm. Granada has no one to blame but themselves. When you cater to that crowd you get the "best" of Topeka and Kansas city coming to town. Also the 90% frat boy causing all the fights statement is crazy. When was the last time you saw a "frat boy" bring a gun to the argument? The article said the arrested were all from Kansas City. Doesn't sound like Frat boys to me. Mayor Amyx, Please close Last Call and the Granada now.

Liberty 9 years, 8 months ago

Why not just have the State revoke the corporate status to operate in Kansas if the bars don't maintain control. This would encourage bar owners to shape up or ship out.

Trying to have the police force engage in gun control is illegal.

lonelyboy 9 years, 8 months ago

Did not mean it that way ... it is and will continue to be the GRANASTY ..... another cesspool.

SAGGIN AND BAGGIN ...THUGGIN AND BUGGIN..GRANASTY

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

I am sure after Lawrencian's pay $30 million for a new library it will be so busy downtown that there will not be enough parking available for the gang bangers. Problem solved.

thomgreen 9 years, 8 months ago

Closing The Granada is the dumbest thing I've heard people say on here. The incident at The Granada was a rare occurrence for them. Not like the weekly reports we get about Last Call. It seems like getserious has a personal problem with The Granada.

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

Let's get serious here folks. If you go downtown and end up being killed to death whose fault is it? Yours. What the heck were you thinking? Don't you read the papers? Get real already.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

I do not have a particular problem with the Granada but with any place in Lawrence that caters to that crowdl We have all gone to college or went to college and seen fights. Back in the day, a couple of drunks or chest bumpers would fist fight, maybe some bloody noses and call it a day. This culture today( hip hop-rap) that glorifies guns, banging, disrespecting...etc is the cause for this. What does Last Call or the Granada bring to the city? What values or culture do these two fine places bring? Name one thing. I'm waiting.......

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

Fair enough. But does knowing how to put on a show/event and being respectable not make you liable when you book a hip hop or rap band? Just asking for trouble when you book that kind of band, dj, or culture.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

You are so out of touch with reality it's pitiful. When was the last time a fan of "24" or Arnold Schawzanegger pop a cap in someone on Broad st. Wake up. If you don't want mice in the garage, you don't leave out cheese. If you don't want roaches in the cubbard, don't leave out crumbs. If you don't want to attract trouble, gangs, guns, shootings, don't book or cater to hip hop or rap.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

And your comment hinting at racism is slander at THE LEAST. My comments never mentioned race. Methinks someone grew up with a little too much MTV (Keep it real homie, puhleeeze) and not enough education.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

Also, to clarify. I also don't think it was a good idea for Abe and Jakes(another trouble spot) to have David Alan Coe(know racist) perform. Nor do I think having Lynard Skynard playing at the Sandbar is a good idea. If you cater to idiots(of any color) you ask for trouble and have no one to blame but yourself.

lynnd 9 years, 8 months ago

I hate to see the other respectable bars in this town have to go through even more red tape, when they are not the problem. It's too bad the city can't find a way to address the problem places without punishing everyone else as well.

Staggered closing times? They already do that with Last Call, and it obviously doesn't work.

opinion 9 years, 8 months ago

Scenebooster,

If it is not the music, not the clientele, what is it? What is the owner doing/not doing that is causing this? I really don't know and am asking because I no longer indulge in the nightlife of downtown.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

Valid points, especially with the violence of tv. But I don't see the "24" fan club or Terminator convention lettiing out drunk patrons on the streets of Lawrence at 2 in the morning. Do you have all the Season of Saved by the Bell on dvd or just the first. Idiot.

Bob Forer 9 years, 8 months ago

Lets quit the nonsense and talk turkey. The Last Call is run by Dennis Steffes, the same wealthy businessman who owns Coyotes, and has "silent" interests in several downtown business. The Last Call was a mediocre, hardly popular watering hole until Steffes restyled it as a hip hop club. Viola. Instant sucess. The problem is not that its attracting African-Americans, but rather, that its attracting culturally violent indiviudals, primarily from the inner cities of Kansas City and Topeka. Despite Steffes' attempts to control the crowd with increased security, metal detectors, and other measures, the club remains an magnet for every imaginable variety of scofflaws and thugs, which Lawrencians should not welcome. All Steffes cares about is making a buck for himself. While he has tried to control the crowd, hey, its not working. Its about time the city of Lawrence places the safety of its citizens ahead of the pockets of an indiviudal businessman. Close it! If they can figure out a way to close an innocuous sex shop on Massachusetts Street that is harmful to one, surely they can figure out how to eradicate a hangout of gun-toting outlaws. The handwriting is clearly on the wall.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

True, i don't know the backgrounds or even whereabouts of either 24 or Terminatior meetings. I do know what kind of show was going on at the Granada the night the guy was killed on Mass st. And I do know the kind of crowd that last call caters to as well. Also, lumping me in with Tipper Gore is worse than calling me a racist. Slanerous. Slanderous.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

And any time someone jumps off the bridge it's the fault of the the Road Runner for driving the coyote to that state of mind. Society as a whole(earlier stated tv ref) have all got worse over time. In the 50's parents hated Elvis, 70's Zepplin and Ozzy, 80's Culture Club-Twisted Sister..etc. But surely, even you, have to admit that today's music, especially rap and hip hop, have crossed the line.. The cursing, dissing, glorifying of bling, disrespecting of women, theatening other rappers(see Tupac or Young Buck) is too much. It is Not cool to have young kids emulating these people. And when you put on a rap show, that is exactly what you are doing. Also, MTV today, sucks.

shirinisb 9 years, 8 months ago

What about the neighborhoods that surround bars? I live behind the Ranch and I am constantly chasing people out of my yard because they want to use it as a place to pee and drink. Beer bottles litter the sides of our streets, along with condoms, and even tampons (??!?!?!?!). On more than one occassion police have woken us up by knocking to ask if we heard "the gunshots". Women are constantly raped on our street. Houses in this neighborhood don't sell anymore because the crime rates are unbelivable. My neighbors have had to miss work because people park their cars in infront of their driveways. When I call the police I get yelled at, usually by the dispatchers. They don't care that my 5 year old is woken up by people urinating outside of her window. I had an officer verbally assult me even as someone was on my private property. The other night an officer literally yell at me instead of chasing after the person who was in my yard when he came to my door! He told me he didn't have time to respond to every little call and I should learn to handle problems myself. I thought the man was breaking into my house at first! It wasn't until after I had called 911 that I got up the gumption to grab a knife and go to the window and found someone peeing, who was too drunk to stand up so he was leaning against my house. The "cop' did not even tell him not to come on private property, and I eventually had to shut the door in his face because of his abusive manner.

I was then bothered 20 minutes later by a Seargant who made an attempt to apologize. What do I tell my child who heard the officer yelling at her mom, who called the police because at first she thought someone was breaking into her house? She is now afraid of police.

As a resident of Lawrence for 25 years I know that bars aren't the problem. The enforcement of our laws is the problem. We have a lot of lazy cops who care nothing about their job. We have great laws, but they're usually not enforced. 508 wasn't a problem for years of the residents of north lawrence, I know because I lived 1 block away most of my childhood. I also lived 2 blocks away from the mayor. Gee. I wonder.

I wish I were friends of the city like my parents were. I wish I had the social standing to keep my neighborhood safe. Perhaps downtown would be safer if the city commissioners were forced to live in lofts downtown?

quigley 9 years, 8 months ago

The phrase: "..being killed to death" by Sigmund halfway through the posts was a highlight for me.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

You have yet to answer the question. WHAT KIND OF MUSIC OR SHOW WAS PERFOMED THE NIGHT AT THE GRANADA WHEN THE GUY WAS SHOT? AND WHAT KIND OF MUSIC AND CROWD DOES LAST CALL CATER TO? As my grandfather used to say, "You can't polish a turd"

Shelby 9 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, blaming the music is kind of ridiculous. If you're adamant about addressing the content of certain rap tunes (which I'll admit, generally, promote violence and materialism significantly more than other genres of popular music), closing down bars that play these songs seems about as logical as cutting your ear off when you think your earrings are ugly. If this IS the root of the problem (which, though entirely relevant and debatable, the jury remains out on, and will do so indefinitely), countless other avenues, it would seem, would be more effective.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable, at all, to contend that rap music (to generalize) tends to condone and encourage debauchery and violence far more than the other pop music genres. To deny this is wishful thinking and utterly delusional. But this isn't really the issue.

Shelby 9 years, 8 months ago

Furthermore, if you're "adamant about addressing the content of certain rap tunes," you're on a slippery slope of censorship.

getserious 9 years, 8 months ago

Hey, I know lets give the owner of Last Call a good talking to. That should do it. Now don't do it again.

hereinnm 9 years, 8 months ago

i may be stupid and you guys will probably point that out to me but here it goes.i used to live in lawerence. the crime rate there was wonderful compared to where i live now. here in albuquerque it is horrible. but they have inacted a crime notice law where they put problem areas on notice . it works like this they get a call to a buisness,resident, or any place for certain crimes and they give the owner a notice that your property will be monitored by the city. if you continsully have a police presence at this location the city sit down and meets with you the owner and you map out a course of action to control the problem. if they get one more call in a 30 day period the condem the property and give you 30 days to put in writing what your going to do to correct the problem if you do not they seieze the property and turn it in to something to benefit the city. but if you compley you get your property to reopen it and if the have anymore problems out of it they then seize it no questions and turn it into something good for the city. our crime rate here is on the decline and our city is lookin so much more better as a place to live. take this to your city cousilors and tell the to inact this it will help.

hereinnm 9 years, 8 months ago

another comment from me you guys say its from rap music as a general group. i can't agree or disagree but i can say that not all volience at clubs and such come from "those type of people". the albuquerque police hired a research firm to do a study across america to find out which kind of establishment was most likely to have a tendency to volince and they found that most of the night club crime as they called it occured at bars that cater to country....... just a suggestion and that was done of all 50 states not just here so "people that listen to rap are not the most violent" and that has been proven through research......

thomgreen 9 years, 8 months ago

One tragic incident that was more related to male ego than the type of concert that was going on defines The Granada as a horrible place? Even though it happened well after the show let out? That horrible tragedy could have happened at any type of concert, party, or general social gathering. Galantry has been around long before hip hop was even a thought in anyone's mind. Whereas, finding ASSAULT weapons in vehicles week in and week out is a pattern. There is a pattern of violence and weapons connected with Last Call. Some of the patrons of Last Call have a perception that they are going to get away with doing what they are doing when they come to Lawrence. It's time to change that perception. It seems that the owner has taken some steps to do that and the police are taking others, but unfortunately neither has changed the pattern of behavior that is continuing to go on. I have to agree with the opinion to shut down Last Call someway or another. The idea of the patrons just going somewhere else in Lawrence is a legitimate fear, but it comes down to the idea of perception again. If a place doesn't give the perception to a patron that they can get away with that type of behavior then that behavior usually isn't attracted to that establishment. Sorry, long winded post there. And I agree, MTV sucks.

Motivation 9 years, 8 months ago

here...here...hereinnm!!! Thank you for pointing that out. Coyotes, Last Call (which had the same trouble when it was Tremors), Duffy's, Brothers, Granada, and yess even The Yacht Club. I frequented all these establishments during country, pop, and hip hop events and saw the same amount of violence in all of them. Therefore, BACK OFF....obviously the city is going to try and work something out. I have been to Olathe clubs and it's good that Lawrence is looking into that city. Nowhere near the problems at the clubs there.

Motivation 9 years, 8 months ago

BTW.....the people coming from the other places are here to see the "college girls" shaking whatever they want and acting stupid when drunk. Closing all the bars in Lawrence will not keep them out!!! Mark my words....they will still come and start bringing hostility into your residential neighborhoods. It doesn't matter. LPD must strengthen its appearance all over town, not just at the clubs.

MaryKatesPillStash 9 years, 8 months ago

Going against the grain here, I will say that I am a frequent patron of Last Call, and hope that it does not get shut down. Just as some of you are making the argument that "other bars shouldn't have to comply with tighter regulations just because of the actions of one club," I would contend that I should not have to miss out on great dancing and a fun atmosphere just because of the actions of a few rowdy people.

Last Call makes the money that it does because it offers an environment that is unique in Lawrence--it is notorious for being THE dance parties on the weekends. Also, I know that the crime that takes place there seems disproportionate to the crime at other bars/clubs in Lawrence, but keep in mind that this place is consistently PACKED, while many other establishments are not.

You may think that shutting the place down will stop the violence, but I think differently. My friends who come here from out of town come to Lawrence because it is a great party town. There are still house parties to go to; there are still other places to go out. Shutting down the "rap bar" will not stop people from partying in Lawrence; Westport and downtown KC offer similar places. But people come here for the college atmosphere.

Emily Hadley 9 years, 8 months ago

When has there ever been a concert at Last Call?

Tychoman 9 years, 8 months ago

You have to have music in order for there to be a concert, and Last Call doesn't play music.

Motivation 9 years, 8 months ago

For those of you who don't read...

"The guns were recovered Dec. 15 as police officers were making increased patrols - including the use of Kansas Highway Patrol helicopters - after the department learned of a possible threat from people attending a concert at Last Call, 729 N.H."

I know you have no clue as to what hip hop is. Therefore, I still am wondering why you continue to critique Last Call and other night clubs. Mary Kate has a point. Obviously Last Call isn't too bad, or it wouldn't be packed every night of the weekend.

Motivation 9 years, 8 months ago

I have yet to hear of any new genre taking over the charts??

I feel for the person that posted he/she lives behind Coyotes. That place lost control many years ago.

Motivation 9 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, that makes sense....teehee. I like that cool...

lawrencebartender 9 years, 8 months ago

"Frickin Rap and hip hop clubs are destroying, DESTROYING downtown"

Are you serious? Everyone is overreacting. Downtown is not falling apart, and everyone isn't in danger. I read post on this site all the time and I have noticed that people find a story and blow it out of proportion. I'm not trying to play the "race card" but I honestly feel if those crowds outside at 3 were white I don't think they would be as scary as some people think.

opinion 9 years, 8 months ago

Lawrencebartender,

Several years ago, in Topeka, there was an area called "College Hill". Very popular hot spot for college age kids. Couple of shootings, a few fights, maybe a rape or two and today, I believe the area is being bulldozed. Topeka is already publishing in their paper the trouble downtown Lawrence is experiencing. Doesn't always matter what reality is, perception is what dominates.

Crispian Paul 9 years, 8 months ago

I am posting this again, because apparently, it needs to be said again.

Posted by mapmaker (anonymous) on December 27, 2006 at 8:25 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I'm not sure what exactly needs to be done, but if they shut down Last Call, they'll just go somewhere else.

Who is "they"?

Posted by andilynn (anonymous) on December 27, 2006 at 9:31 a.m. (Suggest removal)

I think that the city should take all the Hip Hop, Rap clubs out into the boonies.

That's smart.

What I am reading here is pretty much "Veiled racism, blah blah, veiled racism, blah blah, veiled classism, blah blah, veiled racism, blah blah, generalizations about a particular culture, veiled racism, blah blah".

I listen to hip hop (among the other half dozen or so types of music I enjoy), I've been dancing at Last Call, I have a Master's degree, and am a professional. I am not a thug. I have lived in Lawrence for ten years. There, did I just about cover every general racist/classist/stereotyped view point here?

Yes, Last Call has a reputation. In the years I have lived here, many bars have had different reputations. Granada is known as a "meat market scene" where for the first several years I lived here, you could get alcohol just about any time you went there, even if you wer 18-20. When I first moved here, there was a lot of talk about date rapes stemming from multiple "college bars" including The "Bull" and the "Hawk". There was a lot of talk about LA's being a "thug" hang out and Tremors was a "thug" or "gay" bar depending on when you went there. Does anyone remember how quiet 11th and Mass was before It's Brothers moved in where Tin Pan Alley/Jester's/Jersey's used to be? Now it's pretty rowdy late at night. Have you ever seen Bottlenck after Heavy Metal shows? All the "scary" kids in black with eyeliner. The point being, you are going to find good, decent people any where you go and you will certainly find a$$holes any where you go....just look at the frat boys in town :)

suesay 9 years, 8 months ago

"Frickin Rap and hip hop clubs are destroying, DESTROYING downtown"

I would say that Doug Compton is destroying downtown...

But that's just a whole other can of worms...

badger 9 years, 8 months ago

Hip hop and rap are no more inherently violent than other genres, and their fans are no more inherently likely to commit violent acts.

Last Call is a poorly controlled and handled club. Security is pompous and ineffectual, posturing in its little black jackboots, blocking the blasted sidewalk so that if you park your car in the lot next to the club before you go out for dinner and then try to get back to it after ten, you have to literally bull your way through a bunch of flat-topped morons strutting around leering at women and puffing up their chests at men and not doing a blasted thing to actually discourage trouble. Too many people get let in, and people who start trouble may be thrown out in the street, but the next week they're allowed right back in. Last Call needs to be working on blacklisting its troublemakers, especially repeat offenders.

Anyone who wants to talk, by the way, about how it's 'rap and hip hop' causing all this trouble, might do well to Google 'Darrell Abbott'. You know, given that it's two years this month since the shooting that killed him, and Jeff Thompson. Metal used to get the rep for badness, and before that it was punk, and before that I'm sure it was 'all that psychedelic drug music' and before that it was Elvis. Even the jitterbug was blamed for girls 'getting in the family way' and forgetting their morals.

There is a bad element that is drawn to wherever the cars and the girls are rumoured to be fastest, where people want to party and cut loose, where adrenaline and libido and ego run high. And there's an element of any population that just wants to have fun and not think about consequences, that just wants to feel and play. Right now, a lot of that type of attention is focused on rap and hip hop. In five years, it'll be somewhere else, and even more violent.

Society, as a whole, is getting more violent. Sure, kids rarely popped a cap in one another over the latest Hoagy Carmichael dustup, but as the overall cultural acceptance of violent behaviour across all facets of society increases, you see that the rough element gets more violent along with the rest of our culture.

budwhysir 9 years, 8 months ago

I think we dropped the ball here. Something I always hear during a ball game.

Drunk people with weapons, this is a bad element to have in any town. Cut loose foot loose. (this was a movie in the 80's)

poped a cap what a phrase. rap and hip hop what cleaver names for gangster music and songs about the ladies of the earth.

badger 9 years, 8 months ago

cool -

Not lately, but you can bet your bippy that the clubs where Ella Fitzgerald played when she was the cutting edge had a dark and violent reputation. But not to get preachy, people noticed less, because it was just 'those Negroes' cutting each other up on 'their side of town'. Segregation kept them away from 'decent folk'.

The cutting edge of music, be it jazz, rap, metal, alternative, or rave, has a dark social undercurrent of sex, drugs, and violence.

olmsted78 9 years, 8 months ago

Mary Kate,

judging from the police reports that place IS always PACKED.

budwhysir 9 years, 8 months ago

Now who do you think is going to answer this call. I dont even think we have an information line at city hall yet. Our commisioners sure are busy with all the voting they have in front of them.

Cool: violence is like polution. I believe that wind farms can help with our violence problem. Think of the lower polutants that would be corrupting the minds of our violent people. This statement is politicaly speaking of course.

badger 9 years, 8 months ago

cool -

Well, of course you must be right.

Because pointless and arbitrary personal attacks are much more sensible than logical discourse.

olmsted78 9 years, 8 months ago

This is not a music issue-- it's a safety issue. There is a pattern of ingredients over there on weekend nights that is very consistent, unstable & dangerous and someone is going to get hurt....badly.

that's all.

olmsted78 9 years, 8 months ago

camera's/surveillance won't stop a split decision, or an action that takes a split second.

i'm having difficulty finding a good solution, besides ridding this location of the troubled establishment that currently resides there.

Sigmund 9 years, 8 months ago

The Kommission, no matter the rhetoric, will do none of these things. The Last Call, and Steffes other businesses, bring in the sacred and coveted sales tax revenues not to mention property taxes. Steffes is NOT the only person who benefits when the gang bangers buy their drinks in Lawrence! The Kommissioner's get their cut of the action and if they have their way they want it to go up another 1%!

The Kommission DESPERATELY needs those revenues if it hopes to continue it's yearly million dollar subsidies of the Lawrence Bus Company, line the pockets of developers by building a $30,000,000 library in their desperate bid to increase traffic for the downtown landlords, pander to the gay/lesbian community by funding a Domestic Partner Registry, or fund a handpicked group of experts to study every problem only to come to a predetermined "progressive" conclusion.

Part of the rationale of the Kommission's marijuana ordinance was to keep students from losing their student loan money so that they could continue to spend their money in downtown Lawrence and is designed to divert fines from the Douglas County District Court system directly to the City of Lawrence court system!

Nope the most this Kommission will ever do is pay some experts between $20K to $50K to study the problem. It's the PLC way and will accomplish nothing.

Bob Forer 9 years, 8 months ago

Badger wrote: "Hip hop and rap are no more inherently violent than other genres."

Yeah, badger, you are an ignorant fool. Show me the the facts. Never heard tell of John Coltrane trying to gun down Charlie "The Bird" Parker, nor did I ever hear of Don Krishner and Berry Gordy exchanging shots at a New York City night club.

Its a little different with "gangsta" music, ain't it. Please, just says it so, you fool.

Kelly Powell 9 years, 8 months ago

cool: what's wrong with a gun club? You would at least know the other people were armed and the rules and restrictions would be enforced....how many shootings happen at a gunclub?

Linda Endicott 9 years, 8 months ago

Shirinisb, if I were you, I'd file a formal complaint about the officer who abused you and your rights. It is their JOB to serve and protect you, and I don't care how frustrated he might be because of the situation, it doesn't give him the right to heap abuse on you.

" As my grandfather used to say, "You can't polish a turd"

I don't know who said this originally. I have a friend who says the same thing all the time.

Well...you CAN polish a turd. Once it dries out, you could lacquer it, shellac it, whatever, and then you could polish it quite nicely.

However, polished or not, it would still be a turd...

Paris Hilton comes to mind here, for some strange reason...

budwhysir 9 years, 8 months ago

Lawrence has laws in place to make our bars safer. This problem will go away soon

Nightwalker 9 years, 8 months ago

Just some comments about the majority of opinions on here. Problems at Last Call make the paper all the time because it gets everyone in an uproar. How many fights have The Hawk, Cadillac Ranch, Johnny's, Jet Lag, etc. had? Tons of bars in town OTHER than Last Call have numerous MIPs, whereas Last Call has slim to none in comparison. Everyone seems to forget that no one has died at Last Call. Homicide in front of Granada, shots fired in front of Brothers, and how many people have died crossing 6th street in front of the Ranch? No one calls to have THOSE bars shut down. As far as downtown business owners are concerned, why should they care? The only time "violence" seems to happen downtown is at night, when the bars are the only businesses open. No storefronts are being shattered, business isn't suffering, so why should they care? Downtown won't suffer from the level of "violence" there is now. Bar owners have already complained about the smoking ban. If you want to solve the problems of violence downtown, how about no alcohol allowed downtown? Drinking causes as many deaths if not more than second hand smoke, but there isn't an uproar to get rid of alcohol. Last Call has better bouncers, security, and police cooperation than any other bar in town, but because it caters to a group of people who is predominately from out of town, everyone here says to get rid of it. Whatever happened to Lawrence being open to everyone from all walks of life? If Lawrence really wanted a quaint "small town" atmosphere, then you need to look elsewhere than getting rid of one club.