Archive for Wednesday, August 30, 2006

It’s official: North Lawrence will be “Jericho”

For the event, Gov. Sebelius will proclaim that North Lawrence will officially change it’s name for a day to Jericho

August 30, 2006

Hollywood is indeed coming to town.

Producers, actors and even Gov. Kathleen Sebelius will cascade on North Lawrence next weekend to shoot artwork for a pivotal scene for the upcoming television drama "Jericho," CBS announced today.

For the event, Sebelius will proclaim that North Lawrence will officially change its name for a day to Jericho - the fictional Kansas town in the post-apocolyptic drama - and will unveil the crop art local artist Stan Herd carved for the event.

One of the show's stars, Skeet Ulrich, will also attend the event Sept. 9.

After the unveiling, CBS officials will hold a sneak-preview of the show's pilot episode at the Lawrence Visitor Center, 4-2 N. Second st. Musician Kelly Hunt will perform afterwards.

The new show is set in a Kansas town after a nuclear disaster in neighboring Colorado.

Comments

ilovelucy 8 years, 10 months ago

The new television show Jericho is set in Kansas. Thus the promotion. Stan is creating a crop art piece for the opening credits. Why Kelley is involved is beyond me. Maybe some folks think she's a good musician. Skeet is one of the principal actors.

EXks 8 years, 10 months ago

Jericho, Kansas??? How corny are the writers at CBS, can't they come up with something a little more ORIGINAL??? And of course, it has to be biblical

PS...holygrailale....you got it right!

mom_of_three 8 years, 10 months ago

And I assume "bunker hill" that had scenes filmed at Pendleton's is different than "Jericho?"

We are a popular little place

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 8 years, 10 months ago

"Can we change it to "Marion" instead?"

There's already a Marion, Kansas.

Adrienne Sanders 8 years, 10 months ago

All I keep thinking is, Jericho can't be in Lawrence, it'd have to be in Western Kansas to be able to see a nuclear bomb in Denver.

Confrontation 8 years, 10 months ago

I can vouch for just_another_bozo. I grew up about 15 minutes from Marion, Kansas. It's not nearly as eccentric as poster Marion.

So, is West Lawrence protesting all the attention going to North Lawrence? Will there be a ramble between the West and North gangs after this?

Redzilla 8 years, 10 months ago

Even Western Kansas wouldn't really do the trick. Remember how on Gunsmoke, you could always see the Rockies from Dodge City? Trust me, it ain't so--you can't see anything but flat, flat, flat from Dodge City. It just made for good TV.

trinity 8 years, 10 months ago

i thought there were S-N-E-A-K previews of shows, not S-N-E-E-K previews.

maybe it's just me. maybe i'm too persnickety. or maybe ljw staffers should brush up on their spelling. or maybe...never mind.

justthefacts 8 years, 10 months ago

Wonder if they'll need extras? (ala the Movie "Kansas" etc.).....

Redzilla 8 years, 10 months ago

Too true, Bob...Maybe what we'll be seeing in the backdrop of Jericho are Seaboard's piles of hog manure and lagoons of hog urine.

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 10 months ago

Posted by Confrontation (anonymous) on August 30, 2006 at 3:14 p.m. (Suggest removal)

Marion is only "eccentric" if you allow him that title. I prefer to simply call him an egotistical idiot.

It's rumble not ramble. Unless they are just going to talk each other into submission (which I guess would be preferred). Let's hope they ramble.

Maddysmom 8 years, 10 months ago

Maybe they should have a dance off instead of the gangs fighting. That ought to be entertaining!

trinity 8 years, 10 months ago

lol@maddysmom's comment! :)

a dance off...there ya go! west lawrence vs north lawrence! woohoo! :p

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 10 months ago

Marion, you don't have your password memorized by now!?! After all the times you sign on to LJW to torture us with your selfish drivel, and you still can't remember your password? Geesh!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 10 months ago

Me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me, me...Marion!!!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 10 months ago

Sounds like TOB knew what he was talking about maybe. But, maybe Marion's telling the truth too. Maybe "bender" = "forgotten password". Hmm...

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 10 months ago

I'm surprised Marion hasn't sued the town of Marion for rights to the name!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 8 years, 10 months ago

Andini, I think Marion's password is something much more simple. Maybe "look_at_me_please".

By the way, I like Skeet Ulrich. Hope they portray Kansas in a positive light in the show.

Charles L Bloss Jr 8 years, 10 months ago

I remember it as " this is Lawrence Kansas calling, is anyone there, anyone at all ". But I could have a bad batch of ginko. Is holygrailale correct? Anyone else remember the words? I have it on a vhs tape somewhere. Thank you, Lynn

Michael Stanclift 8 years, 10 months ago

Psssh, VHS, I have it on DVD, I can look it up when I get home if you're that worried ;)

KsTwister 8 years, 10 months ago

That section of North Lawrence just got completmented with looking like something close to ground zero. What does that tell you. .....is anyone there......anyone? Sorry, got confused with City Hall.

rincoglionita 8 years, 10 months ago

TheHeartlessBureaucrat 8 years, 10 months ago

So...

Does everything south of the river get to be called "South Jericho?"

And when will Jericho get a gosh darned grocery store?

THB

The_Twelve 8 years, 10 months ago

What's wrong with the biblical reference?? KS is just as darn conservative as UT and almost everything there originally founded by the Mormons is a religious reference. Makes sense to me, at least artisitically.

Irene 8 years, 10 months ago

"Would somebody at the J-W PLEASE do something about the "it's" in the subheading???? Before I have a seizure or something????"

rincoglionita, please don't have a seizure for naught.

Saying "It's official" is short for "It is official." If they had written "Its official" it would have been incorrect.

The apostrophe is taking the place of the 'i' in 'is' so this is a contraction, like don't, can't, isn't . . . you know.

KsTwister 8 years, 10 months ago

Uh, guys you are attacking the wrong apostrophe it's this one :) "For the event, Gov. Sebelius will proclaim that North Lawrence will officially change it's name for a day to Jericho"

Irene 8 years, 10 months ago

Oh, THAT apostrophe. By all means, let's attack. :-)

Linda Endicott 8 years, 10 months ago

Maybe you can surround the apostrophe with parentheses.

Otherwise, we may all have to attack that little apostrophe with our colons: that could get messy.

acg 8 years, 10 months ago

You guys never cease to amuse the hell out of me.

VicC 8 years, 9 months ago

Ron Knox is too stupid to know the difference between the personal pronoun "its," and the contraction for "it is," "it's."

Why would anyone take anything he writes seriously?

squeakysquab 8 years, 9 months ago

i was just wondering if anyone knows where this thing was filmed..