Archive for Friday, August 11, 2006

Freshman becomes first male on KU’s Rock Chalk Dance Team

August 11, 2006

Tim Flattery didn't know he was making Kansas University history when he tried out for the traditionally all-female Rock Chalk Dance Team.

He simply wanted to dance.

"I just came to try out," said Flattery, the first male member of the team, according to those close to the program. "It's really cool to be (the first) - to open the doors for everybody else."

Flattery, a freshman, is among 22 dancers on the team that performs at KU sporting events and special festivities. Though his entrance marks a break from tradition, his teammates have embraced him.

"It's something that we're going to see more and more," coach Tasha Ruble said. "I think it was just a matter of time."

Small town

On Thursday the dancers were in the studio, sweating their way through a heart-pumping practice.

In straight lines, they danced to KU fight songs, swinging their hips and kicking their legs into the air. Flattery danced at the end of one line, holding his head high.

Being the first male on an all-female squad is nothing new for Flattery. He grew up in Onaga, a Pottawatomie County town of about 700.

He started dancing a decade ago after a friend coaxed him into participating in a dance class. Flattery fell in love with dance.

Life can be chaotic, but dance is a release, he said.

"It's like a world of your own," he said. "It's like an escape."

Tim Flattery, the only male dancer on the Kansas University Rock Chalk Dance Team, works out with female members of the squad during a recent practice at Dance City Performing Arts Academy Inc., 5150 Clinton Parkway.

Flattery joined the dance squad in high school. Some questioned him at first.

"You're on the dance team?" Flattery recalls skeptics asking. "We've never heard of a boy on a dance team."

But Flattery never hesitated, never feared standing out.

"I had to keep true to myself and keep doing what I love to do," he said. "I never felt restrictions because I'm a very strong-willed person."

Flattery was the captain of the high school squad for his sophomore, junior and senior years.

He said he and others used their dance studio training and passion for dance to transform the team. They went to competitions in Texas and Missouri, and gathered accolades.

"We started turning heads," he said.

But Flattery didn't want to steal the show. If someone gave him praise, he responded by asking about the entire team's performance.

"Just because I am a different gender doesn't mean all the focus has to be on me," he said. "I'm a team player."

A new level

Now a dance major at KU, Flattery is confident in his abilities.

"I know how to perform," he said. "I know how to get the crowd going."

Finding a spot on the KU dance team isn't easy, Ruble said. The team has placed among the top five in national competitions in the last three years.

More than 75 students registered for tryouts.

Senior Deena Schaumburg, a Lawrence native, tried out two other times before making the cut this year.

Related link

"To me, being on the team is a dream come true," she said. "I can't wait until the first game."

The dancers seek a place in the spotlight viewed by thousands in Memorial Stadium and Allen Fieldhouse.

"I get goose bumps," co-captain Clara Simmons said of performance. "It's probably the biggest energy rush."

The dancers' schedule will be booked most of the year with football games, basketball games, pep rallies and public appearances at anything from bar mitzvahs to fairs.

"We put in just as much time as athletes do," said co-captain Krystal Nabity.

During the busy season, it's not unusual for the dancers to be performing for six hours straight.

The show

Like the rest of the dancers, Flattery can't wait for performance.

"I have never done any kind of performance in a huge arena like the KU football field or Allen Fieldhouse," he said. "I can't wait to get out there."

And in the process, he hopes his participation opens doors for other male dancers who have the desire and the skills to dance at the collegiate level.

He hopes no one - male or female - is held back because of gender.

"Don't ever be afraid to go for what you want," he said. "Never hold back because you think there are restrictions."

The team will perform Monday during Traditions Night at Memorial Stadium.

"We're ready," Flattery said. "We're ready to show our stuff and get out there."

Comments

oedancer 7 years, 5 months ago

if this guy likes to dance so much, then he should be in a dance COMPANY, or a professional team not a college team. dance teams are for girls. end of story.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Where did all of bialystocknbloom's posts go? Now, it looks like I've been arguing with myself.

But, I'm still right. Rock Chalk Dancers should be women!

wheelalicious 7 years, 8 months ago

ummm, ummm...now we can ALL enjoy a little sumptin sumptin at the game. You go Timmy!!

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

I leech onto things when someone takes a narrowminded position and contributes to a negative stereotype. You don't go with your beer buds? Surprise to me because the way you talk about this kid and how everyone's going to laugh at him makes you sound like one of them. Apparently I was wrong about who you go to games with but it's still wrong to dub them uncool before you see them perform.

BNB--

It's clear that I gave you too much credit when I called you an obnoxious and repetitive 13 year-old. I'd LOVE to stop talking about this.

The male RCD screws with a tradition that I really liked. You know NOTHING of that tradition, but you continually post as if you are an expert.

In the grand scheme of life, it is a MINOR influence. Football is a minor influence, but it's important to some people. Not to you, but you've leeched onto this topic like a boy possessed.

I don't go to games with my beer buds and I don't taunt (anymore). I go with my wife. We relax, enjoy the games, enjoy atmosphere, and enjoy getting to 'know' the Spirit Squads.

Again, instead of being cool, the RCDs are going to be funny.

Maybe they should have you come out with a megaphone and spout your ideas of all-inclusiveness and love to a stadium full of regular people. THAT would be entertaining.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

So now it's a minor influence. Uh-huh. Sure. But you sure make it sound like the only reason you go to games with your beer buds is to watch the former Crimson Girls. Now you can be part of the crowd--maybe even the leader--who helps make this kid's day just that much tougher to get through.

Godot 7 years, 8 months ago

Having a guy on the dance team could be cool, if he were to dance and behave like a guy with a bevy of beauties around him.

It will not be cool if, instead, he is cast as "one of the girls."

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

We understand that.

You are the one who was going on & on about "the Crimson Girls aka Rock Chalk Dancers have always been a cool part of the games. Now, they're going to be laughingstocks" and "I don't want other schools to have ammunition-- and now they do. "

Oh noes! Other schools may make fun of us because of 1 guy on the dance squad.

So what?

Other schools make fun of KU all the time. It is called competition or as I prefer, being jealous.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Why can't I stop responding? I try to resist, but there's simply too much foolishness!

swbsow, please don't do any inferring in enclosed spaces or near an open flame-- someone could get seriously hurt.

Let's clarify something for those of you who have never been to a KU football game-- the Rock Chalk Dancers DO NOT actually PLAY in the game. They are a distinct, SIDELINE entity uninvolved with the outcome of the game. They wear fancy outfits and dance in unison to the band and piped-in music. They don't score touchdowns or block field goals.

The only thing affected by the addition of 1 man to the 21-woman dance team will be that dance team. If that Dance Team was irrelevant to you before, it will probably continue to be so.

If you previously enjoyed them, as my wife and I did, this may have a minor impact on said enjoyment.

I think I have already posted something to the effect that the football team, pending the outcome of the NCAA hearing this weekend in Baltimore, is in really good shape.

oldgranny 7 years, 8 months ago

I predict this kid is headed for great things. After all W was a former college cheerleader. While boys like mine where fighting and dying in Vietnam he was cheerleading and partying his way through college on daddy's dime.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

So basically, bmwjhawk, you are stating that the addition of one guy to a dance squad will ruin the entire football program?

Do you honestly believe that the addition of one guy to a formerly all female squad is going to affect the football program in a negative way? Do you think the football team is going to lose ticket holders because of 1 guy on a dance squad? Basketball ticket holders too?

hurlehey_boy 7 years, 8 months ago

wait, wait WAAIIT. These people perform at games? I've gone to maybe 100 football games and have no idea what this is about.

Just sayin, most of you have NEVER paid them any attention before, why make the big stink just because they add a different type of member.

jayhawks71 7 years, 8 months ago

egypt, you are assuming that the people spewing hate on the thread are Lawrence residents past or present.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

And I'll bet that single golf ball, screw, or dude will ruin your entire KU football experience. Boohoo that's SO uncool. A dude that can dance. Way uncool.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

11 eggs in a carton and one golf ball. 44 nails in a package and one screw. 21 pretty girls in a row and one man.

What do I notice?

Ball, Screw, Man

Weird.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

I've been to both a basketball and football game. Not a huge fan of the sports.

21 women dancing in spandex and in a line and the only thing that keeps your attention is 1 guy?

One guy does take away the coolness of 21 girls, thinking they can't hold their own against him. Great how you have faith in them.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Wow. Thanks for asking my opinion. I don't know why you would ask about male cheerleaders, because that is quite far from the topic at hand, but I'll go ahead and respond. Male cheerleaders are an integral part of the entertainment package at KU sporting events.

Personally, my wife and I have always enjoyed the Rock Chalk Dancers more, because they are 'cooler' to us, if that's OK.

With the cheerleaders, there seems to be a male/female partnership, which allows for lifts and stunting. The male cheerleaders also use the megaphones to really belt out the vowel sounds in words like KAYYYY and YOU YOU.

All in all, it seems that there is close to an equal number of male and female cheerleaders, which makes a lot of sense. It makes much more sense than if there were, say, 21 women and 1 man.

You should go to a football or a basketball game once and take in the environment. Game days at KU have always been fun, and with a successful football team incubating, it should get even better.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

Then what do you think of male cheerleaders? It's the same thing. Entertainment.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

'No, bmwjhawk, the dance squad is to provide entertainment, not "be cool".'

OK, that works. I contend that they are entertaining because they are cool, but you can semanticize it however you like. Regardless, they'll be less entertaining to me now.

"Have you actually tried out for the tennis team? I doubt you have."

No, KU only has a women's tennis team and, as that was just a 'fer the sake of argument,' I used up my eligibility years ago when KU actually did have a men's tennis team. And no, I didn't try out.

If you recall, KU had a men's tennis team before federal Title IX legistlation required an equal number of sports opportunities for women as for men on college rosters. As football is generally a male sport and it adds high numbers to the male side of the see-saw, KU had to cut its men's tennis and swimming/diving teams in 2001. This made it equal.

I would like to know if the Rock Chalk Dancers are a part of this balancing act. If so, perhaps it should be defined as a women's activity.

By the way, Title IX is crap.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

No, bmwjhawk, the dance squad is to provide entertainment, not "be cool".

Have you actually tried out for the tennis team? I doubt you have.

hurlehey_boy 7 years, 8 months ago

The whole thing brings to mind the "Buffalo Bill" scene from Clerks2.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

"You can't compare a competitve sport to a performance squad."

And that's unfortunate. I just want a chance to play tennis at KU. I know I could beat a few of those girls if I had the chance. I feel a little bit discriminated against. Why does this guy get a chance to break down the walls of discrimination but I don't?

Another question related to my lack of tennis-playing options at KU because of my genitals: Are the dance/cheer squads considered a sport and part of the athletic department numbers that are regulated by Title IX?

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

"So your argument is having a boy on the squad is not cool? That's it?"

Yes. What, pray tell, do you believe is the job of the Dance Squad? Is it to score touchdowns? Is it to debate foreign policy with the opposing teams' dance squads?

Nah... I think they'd tell you that they want to be a cool presence on the sidelines.

hilly 7 years, 8 months ago

bmwjhawk:

I'm female and wrestled on the boys team all through high school. It wasn't that big of a deal. The only people that had issues with it were the boys and the parents of the boys I was beating. But no one thought twice by orginally allowing me on the team because they all thought I was at a natural disadvantage being female to begin with.

Your example of tennis though, isn't the best. You can't compare a competitve sport to a performance squad.

All I have to say is, good for him. He'll catch alot of teasing, sure, but if it's something that he loves, he should go for it then.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

See how THERE's an argument that could have earned you credibility earlier instead of "this is dumb now we're just going to laugh at him."

A single guy in an entire dance team with girls is NOT going to distract from the rest of the team. They can still be the coolest, most talented group if they have someone who earned their spot. Earned. This kid is going to go through hell because of people like you who feel that he doesn't belong doing what he does best and doesn't need people laughing at him for doing what he loves.

And quite to the contrary I'm one of the most open-minded people you'll probably ever meet. Openmindedness is what kept me from laughing at this article. Progressiveness is what gives me the belief that this kid earned his spot.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

So your argument is having a boy on the squad is not cool? That's it?

I have no problem with you being on the women's tennis team if you can make it. More power to you for trying out.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

My wife and I have always enjoyed the former Crimson Girls/current Rock Chalk Dancers at football games. They are without a doubt the coolest, most talented group. They are confident and they do a really nice job. When the marching band does the "traditional sunflower formation" and the RCDs march in and do their kickline, it's a showcase for them.

There's just something really cool about them. Maybe it's because we've been watching them for so long, but we always look forward to their performance and the quarter of the game when they are stationed in front of our section.

There's absolutely nothing cool about a guy, any guy, in amongst these girls.

If this were a dance team of 8 girls and 8 guys, it might be a lot different, but it's going to be several girls and one guy and HE is going to be the focus-- no matter what you think about progressiveness-- of everyone's attention. The fans from other schools, the television cameras, and our own fans will notice him.

Individual dance team members are not supposed to be noticed. If you notice one of them, it's generally because they've messed up. It's supposed to be a cohesive group.

It seems like most people on here, specifically the obnoxious and repetitive 13 year-old bialystocknbloom, feel that progressiveness and open-mindedness is the be-all/end-all of a perfect society.

I think there's something to be said for tradition and it doesn't make me a gay-basher or closed-minded.

When I told my liberal, feminist wife about the addition of a male to the ranks, she was disappointed. She thinks it's dumb and she is also amused by the attitude that people who don't like it must be homophobic. It's got nothing to do with that.

The Rock Chalk Dancers just lost all of their cool and we aren't going to enjoy their performances as much as we used to because there will be something really, really different about them.

I hate to say this, but boys and girls are different. It's scientific.

How about this: I'm a boy and I want to play Tennis at KU, but I can't. Should I be allowed to join the women's tennis team?

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

But I want to look at girls! A boy in a lineup of girls ruins the whole experience for me and my buds who feel like objectifying women at a machismo sporting event!

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

So, bmwjhawk, give us some good solid reasons as to why a boy should not be on the dance squad.

Richie Kennedy 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't know much about dance, but my cousin Cieara has her oldest son (who is 5 years old) in ballet... and I'm not ashamed to say it :)

I know several former dancers for the KU squad... including Miss Larson... and I know for a fact that they take their dancing seriously.

I also know that there's a school... which has a former Kansas coach coaching one of their sports teams... that has been a dynasty at the National competitions.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

well maybe some of the post should be worded diffrent then you would not get labled closeted,insecure,homophobes, just takes a little difrent wording on the posters behalf.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

It's hilarious to me how all of you "forward-thinking, open-minded" people are so quick to label those of us bothered by this story. We don't want a boy on the drill team, so we must be closeted, insecure and, at the very least, homophobes.

Look in the mirror, losers. People are allowed to have opinions.

If a person disagrees with you on something, are you so insecure that you have to categorize him or her to explain it?

jonas 7 years, 8 months ago

C-Man-06 "There is no ball involved and if there isn't a ball involved, it isn't a sport - PERIOD!"

Aaaaahahahahahahahahaha!

Gotta have my sports with BALLS! BALLS!, I tel'ya! This has nothing to do with me bein' an insecure male, but bring out more balls! BIG BALLS! With leathery, pocked skin!

BALLS!

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

You people who are making fun of this are disgusting.

beavisishot 7 years, 8 months ago

wow. i'm highly embarrassed and saddened at the blatent and overbearing homophobia and sexism displayed by most of the posters regarding this article. not only have they showed their pitiful insecurity and closed-mindedness, they have given us their disgusitng, lame- brained sexist opinions on what should be "expected" of a dance team. grow up and get over your rigid gender stereotypes.

ConservativeMan2006 7 years, 8 months ago

........and I'll bet llarson76 really thought that the fans were watching and appreciating her dancing rather than her uniform.

"passion and sport of choice"??????? Since when is dancing a sport? There is no ball involved and if there isn't a ball involved, it isn't a sport - PERIOD!

...and stop calling them the Rock Chalk Dancers! The person who renamed our Crimson Girls the rock chalk dancers should be... well I just can't bring myself to say it --- gosh darn it! Now you all have me upset. I'm going to go put my vinyl album of the Village People on the turntable and crank my pioneer stereo speakers to the max.

holygrailale 7 years, 8 months ago

If he's on the squad, he's probably REALLY REALLY GOOD.

To overcome the prejudice, he would have to be twice, three times as good as female competition.

I would note that male dancers get laid like rock stars.

I would also note that George W. Bush was a yell leader at Yale.

=======================================

I would also note the rising star of Betti81, who is scoring fast and often.

=======================================

I haven't noticed any Kevin Bacon / Footloose references either.

llarson76 7 years, 8 months ago

I used to be on the team (back in the day for all 4 years) and I can't believe how behind the times some of you are on this issue. I don't understand what part of him being on the team is funny? I hate to break it to you all, but there have been men dancing all types of dance for years - including high school and collage teams throughout Kansas and the rest of the country. I'm sure he earned his place on the team just like everyone else so what is the big deal. Doesn't anyone believe he should be judged on his talent?? I know Tasha is an amazing coach and will continue to take the Rockchalk Dancers forward and progress... I just hope there are not too many simple mined people wasting their time trying to bring other people down. Why make someone feel bad because their passion and sport of choice isn't the same as yours???

Larry 7 years, 8 months ago

Fact is - most women spectators are jealous of the Crimson Girls and don't like to watch them, yet the Crimson Girls catch the attention of most men spectators (for obvious reasons). NOW - I will have a hard time watching them perform without rolling over in my seat in laughter as this male dancer performs the same seductive moves that the girls perform. It's actually kind of sick! Watching a male perform the moves that the Crimson Girls perform is not natural. You can't tell me that their wasn't another young lady that tried out that was as good, if not better than this guy. The guy is probably a good dancer but KU was afraid of a law suit if they didn't select him as part of the squad. Ridiculous! I'll have to turn to the scoreboard now or maybe the Crimson GIRLS/whatchamacallits will divide up and I can watch the male-less group at the other end of the stadium. What my wife wanted to know is "will he be wearing the exact same uniform as the girls"? Now that I've picked myself up off the floor - I can finish posting my comment.

Confrontation 7 years, 8 months ago

The next thing you know, there will be male nurses.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Oops on problem/program. We'll find out after the results of the Baltimore hearing this weekend.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

HA HA HA. This is football (and basketball), you fools. It has nothing to do with open-mindedness and acceptance.

And, HA HA HA HA to deciding whom to respect or not based on their opinions. That's good stuff, and very typical of the Lawrence attitude that is quite annoying to many people in and out of this fine city.

Trust that quite a few people who actually enjoy going to the games and supporting their university's athletic problem would rather not add more fuel to our rivals' criticisms.

And, trust that many of these people are also tolerant, non-racist, homo-accepting people who might just be your friend.

HA HA HA HA HA to respect. Live a little and come back later.

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 8 months ago

Hold that pose people.
Hold it.
Almost there...........and Release.....

i love the "maniac" post. well done.

egypt 7 years, 8 months ago

And here I thought Lawrence was a open minded accepting town. Lawrence is quickly turning into Topeka... That is a very horrible photo though.

Shardwurm 7 years, 8 months ago

Then next thing you know they'll let minorities on the squad. WHAT THEN!?!?!?!?!

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

Plus it brings out which people deserve respect on this forum.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

"I'm not sure why it's generating so much activity."

It's easier than going back to work.

Wilbur_Nether 7 years, 8 months ago

This seems very much like a non-issue to me. I'm not sure why it's generating so much activity.

Tony Kisner 7 years, 8 months ago

I can't help this.

I remember the guy on the flag team. I imagined his rebuttal going - "its f-lag boy, not ...."

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

"I think I just shat myself."

I hope you aren't wearing spandex.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 8 months ago

Flaggots? I think I just shat myself.

Raider 7 years, 8 months ago

Nearly every school in the Big XII has a male on their flag squad. Nothing wrong with that really. The flag bearers get called "flaggots" but that's about the worst I've heard.

The male cheerleaders; no problem there either. But the pom squad (or dance team) is for ladies. Seriously. No problem with the guy being a dance major or whatever, but drill teams need to be limited to females only.

Kristen Murphy 7 years, 8 months ago

JimmyJoeBob - what's that supposed to mean? Oh I'm sure K-State will have fun with this. Like Countrygirl said - we've had them on the flag squad not dance. More power to him if he can beat out the hundreds of girls that I'm sure tried out for that same position. I'm just stating the obvious.

betti81 7 years, 8 months ago

bmw...uumm nothing homoerotic about football 'eh? I really don't want to get started but...

men tackling each other, wallering on the ground trying to maintain possession of an elongated (sp?) ball, constant arse slapping, do I even need to mention what must occur to initiate each offensive possession? and the locker room: towel fights, naked men, the sweat, the soap, the showers...nothing homoerotic AT all... I think football is fun to watch and only jest, but really, come on, think about it.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

Methinks thou be a caveman. "We scream and yell for people to kill each other." God bless America!

Besides, I'm AT work thank you very much.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

The men have been on the flag team at K-State, not dance. No spandex involved.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

We watch the football game for the brutality and violent action. We scream and yell for people to kill each other, clap when an injured player rises weakly to his feet, and hug our best friends when we score.

We watch(ed) the Crimson People for the skin-tight outfits, not for their pirouettes. What's confusing?

Did somebody sneeze? Bialystock, methinks that you are a dork. Get some work done. (winking emoticon)

JimmyJoeBob 7 years, 8 months ago

KSTATER, I Guess you won't have too much fun with this. Since you allowed men to participate in your women's Flag/Dance team since 1992.

betti81 7 years, 8 months ago

uumm...if you don't want to see men in skin tight outfits, why are you watching the football game again? ;) Tightends with tight ends. mmm...tony g.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

If that was an attempt to shoot an arrow through my heart....BULLSEYE!

Kristen Murphy 7 years, 8 months ago

"The_Original_Bob - Um, Mr Kstater - KState has had male dancers in the past if I'm not mistaken. Not just cheerleaders, but the dancing fluzeys."

Actually its Mrs. KStater - I wasn't making fun of him thank you very much. If you read my post correctly, it will be more then Manhattan people making fun of him. If he wants to dance for the KU Dance team - good for him. To each their own. But you must realize that he will be made fun of. Period. Everyone has always associated KU with their dance squad of girls so this will be a shock to everyone. But I wanted to clarify that I was not making fun of him so read more into things before you make comments.

swbsow 7 years, 8 months ago

Good for him. He is doing something he enjoys. How many of us get that chance?

How bitter those who want to mock him are.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Do you wear brown socks with your birkenstocks when you go to Mel Brooks' musicals?

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

If it's not a rational or forward-thinking response, then try to be a more rational, forward-thinking person. Feel free, we could use a lot more in KS. Just because it's the way a lot of others feel doesn't make it right.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Your attempt at sarcasm actually demonstrates an acute understanding of the problem. It may not be a rational, forward-thinking response, but it's the way I and, I assume, a lot of others, feel.

Solve the world's problems somewhere else.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

"This is dumb. The Rock Chalk Dancers are no longer cool. They are now funny."

Wow. I'm impressed. A dance team that happens to have a guy on it and all of a sudden the entire university and all its affiliations will be the laughingstock of the Big XII, nay, THE WHOLE COUNTRY?! You people need to look at other parts of KU if you're complaining about being the laughingstock because of one guy. Try football? Or other sports or reasons as to why KU would be laughable--which it won't.

"Oh wow KU has a dude on their dance team? Let's point and laugh and ridicule them because our school totally DOESN'T have, like, a dude on our own dance team!"

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

the people of lawrence who are supposed to be so forward and accepting are showing their ugly side again big surprised.

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

I don't care if he's gay or straight. I don't want to watch him dance and I don't want other schools to have ammunition-- and now they do. Thanks for the friendly post and lesson on what a "dance team" is. Lawrence is a great, progressive town, but that doesn't mean that everything everybody wants to do is OK and that we all have to agree with it.

This is dumb. The Rock Chalk Dancers are no longer cool. They are now funny. I guess all that matters is that this guy gets to express himself.

Blah.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

Knock off the machismo, people. ramrod that was just a jackass comment.

mztrendy 7 years, 8 months ago

I guess the alternative to not "wanting to see it" would be to stay home. Because I don't really think you have a choice.

countrygirl 7 years, 8 months ago

Aren't the Crimson Girls now called the Rock Chalk Dance Team?

ram67rod 7 years, 8 months ago

Who cares if this ga..., I mean guy is good! Nobody wantes to see him flaunting around in spandex during a football or basketball game!

One of these doesn't belong: Beer, Football, male cheerleader in tight spandex, nachos, hard hitting tackles....

Go join a musical if you want to dance around and be free......!

Mr_Ramirez 7 years, 8 months ago

You got served!!

"Hold me closer tiny dancer." - Nice HW! killed me...

Eybea Opiner 7 years, 8 months ago

No doubt he's good. Perhaps after graduation he can get a job with the Rockettes, or one of those Las Vegas topless extravaganzas.

sean 7 years, 8 months ago

bmwjhawk-

Get over it. It's not like he's going to turn you out. There will still be plenty of girls to ogle.

bialystocknbloom 7 years, 8 months ago

"Dumb" "Great just what we need." bmwjhawk shut up. You negative posters are full of crap. This isn't the Crimson Girls + a dude this is a dance team. The Crimson Girls aren't mentioned at all in the article. Him making the cut doesn't mean he's gay (which is a stupid enough stereotype, people) or that KU's going down the hole "a dancing boy? NOOOO WE'LL BE THE LAUGHINGSTOCK!"

If this guy made it, then he's good. Good enough to be on a university team.

bmwjhawk "I spent too much time in the mid90s making fun of K-State's flag boy to be able to rationalize this as a guy who is a good dancer and wants to dance."

How narrowminded can you get?

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

It's football and it needs sexy female dancers. These things are connected. It's not supposed to be artistic. It's supposed to be hot.

acg 7 years, 8 months ago

I say, you go dude! You dance your ass off and I hope you enjoy every single minute of it. I also am sickened by the accusations of homosexuality (not that there's anything wrong with it). And if he is gay, who gives a crap? All that matters is, can he dance? You people have too many hangups. Kujeeper, what's your problem? Are you new around here? Are you unaware that Lawrence is like a homosexual oasis in a sea of close-minded jerkoffs. I hope they do get a rainbow jersey for the Hawk. I hope he wears it proudly for all to see, and I hope those of you that have a problem with that image choke on it!

bmwjhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

Again... dumb. I spent too much time in the mid-90s making fun of K-State's flag boy to be able to rationalize this as a guy who is a good dancer and wants to dance. Join the ballet. The Crimson Girls aka Rock Chalk Dancers have always been a cool part of the games. Now, they're going to be laughingstocks. Here's an open door that I wish had been closed.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 8 months ago

Kristen Murphy 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh I wouldn't hold it to just Manhattan people enjoying this. I'm sure those in Missouri will enjoy it too along with the rest of the Big XII.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

people are just rude and crude he will stick it out and have fun also like I said this is cool.

mztrendy 7 years, 8 months ago

ekidwell, I completely agree with you. There is no reason he shouldn't get the chance to dance. If he tried out and made it, he's just as good as those girls are, and he should get the opportunity as well.

Brenda Brown 7 years, 8 months ago

"I'm sure he's a great dancer, but no man looks good in spandex". Dude, apparently you have never seen Mikhail Baryshnikov ;) Best of luck to Mr. Flattery, congratulations!

ekidwell 7 years, 8 months ago

Wow... a lot of you people are being really rude about this. He just wants to dance and he must be good enough to be on the squad or he would have been cut! Gender equality works both ways, but I'm sure some of the same people freaking out over this would really hate to be rescued by a female firefighter or feel that you have to have a twig and berries to be a legitimate athlete.

Get over it, people. I think it's great that he's doing what he loves and so do his teammates.

hammysammy 7 years, 8 months ago

It says on the link he is an alternate, does that mean he'll dance?

kujeeper 7 years, 8 months ago

This is retarded....Crimson people.... I hope he is happy with himself...now the other Big 12 schools have something else to make fun of KU for... Next we'll see the Jayhawk wearing a rainbow jersey......

nschmi04 7 years, 8 months ago

Oh Boy! The Manhattan folk will enjoy this one . . .

hawkwatch71 7 years, 8 months ago

That is true I have been to Onaga, very small town, I am sure he has been thru a lot.

just_another_bozo_on_this_bus 7 years, 8 months ago

I haven't been to KU BB game for a couple of years. Are the Crimson Girls still doing essentially bump and grind, burlesque-light choreography?

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

well I would say he can take it he has gotten this far so good luck to him.

hawkwatch71 7 years, 8 months ago

Hold me closer tiny dancer. That guy is going to get sooooo much crap.

rockchalkjayhawk 7 years, 8 months ago

i just looked him up on facebook and here are some of the things he has list:

Favorite Movies: Steel Magnolias, The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, Superstar, Stick it, Dirty Dancing, Mean Girls etc..

Favorite Music: Beatles, Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Queen, etc

conservative 7 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, I'm constantly amazed by the stuff that airs in primetime, but then watch movies that have been censored for much milder connotations. Hence the reason for my ever expanding DVD collection. :D

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

yeah like it is worse than some of the series on tv now a days kinda dumb.

mztrendy 7 years, 8 months ago

Its just not the same on TV. You have to watch the real thing.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 8 months ago

It was on E the other night. They managed to make it two hours long even though they cut a lot out. They wouldn't even show the handshake.

The_Original_Bob 7 years, 8 months ago

Trendy - Right on! Dazed and Confused.

Assuming this guy "likes girls", as Canadian puts it, he will be getting some tail!!!

billyflay 7 years, 8 months ago

one chromosone from be masculine,

wonder if he gets to use the handicaped parking location,

staff04 7 years, 8 months ago

From Onaga, huh? Must be something in the small town water...

CanadianPassport 7 years, 8 months ago

Yeah, he probably will, I just hope the crowd doesn't throw stuff at him or anything. I mean, we're not in Missouri.

That is an odd choice of photo.

craigers 7 years, 8 months ago

Canadian whether you hope that or not, he will get tons of crap. Just watch the stands at the KU basketball or football games when they come running out. It is college, the kids will point and laugh the whole time instead of watching him dance. I went to my wife's cheerleading competitions and some of the guys that dance there are phenomenal. Not to dig on girls but the guys seem to jump higher and tumble so much better.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years, 8 months ago

I think it is cool. Glad he has broken open a door here in this city. But I thought most college teams allowed men, so does this mean KU was just slow in having one audition or just trying to discriminate?

CanadianPassport 7 years, 8 months ago

That is brilliant. If he actually likes girls, then he has hit the jackpot. If not ... then he just placed the most effective personal ad in Lawrence history. I truly hope people don't give him too much crap for this, because he's probably an awesome dancer.

Ken Miller 7 years, 8 months ago

Why do I keep having visions of Scott Hamilton after reading this story?

theDudeAbides 7 years, 8 months ago

I agree BankBoy - I'm sure he's a great dancer, but no man looks good in spandex.

Is this the team that dances at all the football/basketball games?

craigers 7 years, 8 months ago

Let's hear it for the "Crimson People"!!! I never even knew the organization was open to men.

bankboy119 7 years, 8 months ago

Hm...I thought the squad was all women because people wanted to see women in spandex, not men.