Archive for Thursday, April 6, 2006

10 more cases of mumps diagnosed

April 6, 2006

Ten more cases of mumps have been diagnosed in Douglas County, authorities said this afternoon, bringing the total to 21 since last week.

"It's a concern, definitely," said Sheryl Tirol-Goodwin, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County Health Department. "It's been a concern since Friday."

Most of the cases are in people between ages 19 and 26, she said. Seven of the first 11 cases were in Kansas University students, but Tirol-Goodwin didn't have the breakdown for the latest cases.

Mumps is a viral infection of the salivary glands that is passed through saliva and causes swelling in the jaw, as well as headaches and fever. Health officials recommend frequent hand-washing and other hygienic measures to prevent its spread.

Comments

quackerpractor 8 years ago

Vaccinations remain an ongoing experiment. Way too much junk science going on. Where is the sanity?

First of all, get vaccinated.  Then you need a booster.  Sorry, that didn't work because it is an atypical mumps outbreak.  Then you contract the mumps and then you are told you need to be vaccinated all over again.  This is exactly what happened to our neighbor's daughter in Davenport, Iowa, having contracted measles.

If the experts in immunology practiced what they preached......they are always retracing their steps.

Vaccinations=junk science.

Nikki May 8 years ago

hawkeyes is correct. Right after my first child was born, I got the MMR vaccine (around 5:00am if I remember right).

I wonder, if you have the vaccine, do you get a less severe reaction to the virus? If so, how many go undiagnosed?

hawkeyes 8 years ago

MMR vaccinations are not 100% effective. That is why women are screened at pregnancy for an MMR titer. Many times women must be re-vaccinated after they deliver their little ones for having a negative titer or equivalent titer...even when they have been vaccinated.

Harry_Manback 8 years ago

"Patricia Denning, chief of staff at Watkins Memorial Health Center, called the situation an "outbreak" in a press conference and said local health officials weren't sure why people who had been vaccinated were contracting the viral infection."

That's from and article in today's UDK, so I guess these students already were vaccinated, but got it anyway.

usaschools 8 years ago

If someone attending public schools has not had the mumps vaccine (it is true that they can fill out something stating they want a religious expemption), and someone in their class gets the mumps, then that student must leave school and cannot return for 25 days. If that student gets an immunization, they can return one day after the day on which they are immunized (they stay home one day after the shot).

The mumps vaccine is 95% effective.

I strongly suspect most of these cases are not involving preschoolers or elementary aged children, but we'll find out soon enough.

b_asinbeer 8 years ago

KsTwister--Since this is Lawrence, I'm sure the city commission will say that it came from Topeka, along with all of the other bad influences. ;o)

KsTwister 8 years ago

The Senate said yesterday that diseases almost eradicated in the US usually come in with other people,from other countries.......or maybe its the birds??

badger 8 years ago

95% effective.

Most of those infected across the nation have been vaccinated, but the vaccine is not 100%. Remember the outbreak of measles in the late 80s? Ineffective killed-culture vaccines caused that.

Stop jumping to conclusions about parents not vaccinating their kids.

Pywacket 8 years ago

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that all someone has to do to get around that is to fill out a form saying that vaccinations are against their "religious beliefs." Then, if their little disease magnet kids get something (like mumps), they will spread it to other unvaccinated individuals and also to a small percentage of vaccinated individuals, since vaccines are extremely effective but not 100%.

Also, the effectiveness of vaccines received in early childhood can wear off, so it's a good idea for teens and adults to have their health-care providers review their vaccination history and advise them on what vaccines, if any, they should receive again now. I think I will be doing that soon, myself!

my_manly_essence 8 years ago

Mumps is pretty serious stuff, isn't it??

I think if it's bad enough in young boys (specifically, the very high fever associated with the mumps)....it can cause sterilization.

Sheila Couchman 8 years ago

Holy moly! How on earth are we getting that many cases of mumps here? Kids have to be vaccinated to get into schools and daycares.