Law enforcement report
Lawrence Police said Friday that in the past 24 hours they'd handled:
- 249 calls
- 22 reports
- two burglaries
- one theft
- four noninjury accidents
- one injury accident
- Police may suspect alcohol contributed to a wreck Thursday that sent a 22-year-old Lawrence man to the hospital.
James A. Springer was driving his 1997 Nissan west on Sixth Street shortly after midnight when he crossed into oncoming traffic and hit a 2005 Pontiac driven by Mike L. Leopold, 51, Cincinnati, Ohio, then hit a concrete guardrail.
Police tested Springer for alcohol, and he was taken by ambulance to Lawrence Memorial Hospital. Results of the alcohol test are pending, according to a report.
Two passengers in Leopold's car suffered minor injuries, according to a report.
Burglaries and thefts reported
- Someone broke into an office at Haskell Indian Nations University and stole five baseball uniforms and five baseball bats. The items, valued at $1,100 total, disappeared between 5 p.m. March 18 and 8 p.m. March 22, according to a report.
- Someone stole a 35 mm camera, a box of jewelry, and other items totalling $1,020 in value from a residence in the 100 block of North Michigan Street. The theft happened between 6:30 a.m. and 9 p.m. Wednesday.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- 10:38 p.m. Thursday, 3000 Iowa.
- 6:12 p.m. Thursday, 1603 W. 15th St.
- 1:29 p.m. Thursday, 1651 Naismith Drive.
- 6:50 a.m. Thursday, 643 Mass.
Lawrence Humane Society
Stray dogs brought to shelter
No strays were brought to the shelter.