1. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. "The Narrows," by Michael Connelly (Little, Brown, $25.95). Harry Bosch, the former Los Angeles police detective, and the F.B.I. agent Rachel Walling must contend with the serial killer known as the Poet.
3. "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (Hyperion, $19.95). An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
4. "Nighttime Is My Time," by Mary Higgins Clark (Simon & Schuster, $25.95). Determined to avenge himself on the girls who rejected him in high school, a crazed killer targets his 20th class reunion.
5. "Glorious Appearing," by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B. Jenkins (Tyndale, $24.99). In the 12th volume of the "Left Behind" series, in which the forces of good battle the forces of evil, the Second Coming occurs.
1. "Plan of Attack," by Bob Woodward (Simon & Schuster, $28). A behind-the-scenes account of the Bush administration's decision making as it drew up plans to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein.
2. "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," by Lynne Truss (Gotham, $17.50). An Englishwoman expounds on the use and misuse of punctuation marks.
3. "Founding Mothers," by Cokie Roberts (Morrow, $24.95). The ABC News commentator details the lives of the many women (Abigail Adams and Martha Washington among them) who "raised our nation."
4. "Three Weeks With My Brother," by Nicholas Sparks and Micah Sparks (Warner, $22). The novelist and his sibling describe their trip around the world.
5. "Alexander Hamilton," by Ron Chernow (Penguin Press, $35). A biography of the first Treasury secretary and chief author of The Federalist Papers.
Advice and miscellaneous
1. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
2. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren (Zondervan, $19.99). Finding the meaning of life through God.
3. "The South Beach Diet Cookbook," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $25.95). A collection of recipes from a Miami cardiologist.
4. "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands," by Laura C. Schlessinger (HarperCollins, $24.95). Advice for women on how to treat spouses.
5. "Trump: How to Get Rich," by Donald J. Trump with Meredith McIver (Random House, $21.95). Advice on business strategy and creating personal wealth.