1. "The Da Vinci Code," by Dan Brown (Doubleday, $24.95). The murder of a curator at the Louvre leads to a trail of clues found in the work of Leonardo and to the discovery of a centuries-old secret society.
2. "The Rule of Four," by Ian Caldwell and Dustin Thomason (Dial, $24). Two Princeton students who are trying to unravel the mysteries of a Renaissance text become ensnared in murderous intrigue.
3. "The Five People You Meet in Heaven," by Mitch Albom (Hyperion, $19.95). An old man who died while trying to rescue a little girl from danger discovers that all will be explained to him in the afterlife.
4. "Angels & Demons," by Dan Brown (Atria, $17.95). A Harvard scholar tries to save the Vatican from the machinations of an underground society.
5. "The Taking," by Dean Koontz (Bantam, $27). The residents of a small California town must cope with a ruthless otherworldly force.
1. "Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim," by David Sedaris (Little, Brown, $24.95). The humorist's latest collection of essays.
2. "Eats, Shoots & Leaves," by Lynne Truss (Gotham, $17.50). An Englishwoman expounds on the use and misuse of punctuation marks.
3. "Big Russ and Me," by Tim Russert (Miramax, $22.95). The host of "Meet the Press" remembers his father and the other important teachers in his life.
4. "Plan of Attack," by Bob Woodward (Simon & Schuster, $28). A behind-the-scenes account of the Bush administration's decision making as it drew up plans to invade Iraq and overthrow Saddam Hussein.
5. "Father Joe," by Tony Hendra (Random House, $24.95). A noted satirist recalls his decades-long friendship with an English Benedictine monk.
Advice and miscellaneous
1. "The South Beach Diet," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $24.95). A weight-loss plan designed by a Miami cardiologist.
2. "The Ultimate Weight Solution," by Phil McGraw (Free Press, $26). Dr. Phil identifies "seven keys" to losing weight.
3. "The Purpose-Driven Life," by Rick Warren (Zondervan, $19.99). Finding the meaning of life through God.
3. "The South Beach Diet Cookbook," by Arthur Agatston (Rodale, $25.95). A collection of recipes from a Miami cardiologist.
5. "The Ultimate Weight Solution Cookbook," by Phil McGraw (Free Press, $26). Recipes designed to help with losing weight and keeping it off.
-- The New York Times