Archive for Sunday, November 2, 2003

On the record

November 2, 2003


Law enforcement report

Injury accident

A McLouth woman was critically injured in a car accident Saturday on Kansas Highway 10 just east of Lawrence. About 6 p.m., the 43-year-old woman turned from O'Connell Road into the eastbound lane of K-10, Lawrence Police Sgt. Paul Fellers said. Witnesses saw the woman's four-door Mercury Tracer drive into a median, then strike a westbound Chevrolet Cavalier driven by Jarred Born of Eudora. The 21-year-old man was not injured, but the McLouth woman was transported to Lawrence Memorial Hospital and later the University of Kansas Hospital in Kansas City, Kan., where she was listed in critical condition. Police are withholding her name pending notification of family, Fellers said.

Burglaries and thefts reported

  • Two antique wedding bands, a gold watch and video game equipment were among items reported taken from a residence between 6:30 p.m. and 9:20 p.m. Friday. Police reports indicate there was forced entry through a window at the residence on Bonanza Street. Police listed damage to the residence and value of the missing items at $1,300.
  • A 1988 red Chevrolet van and miscellaneous power tools were taken between 10:30 p.m. and 11: 20 p.m. Friday, while the vehicle was parked in the 1500 block of West Sixth Street. The vehicle and its contents were valued at $4,500, police reports said.
  • Audio equipment and two tires, worth $1,080, were reported taken between 2:30 a.m. and 5:30 a.m. Friday, from a vehicle parked outside a residence in the 2200 block of Harper Street, police reports said.

Emergency calls

Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:

Fire calls

  • Authorized controlled burning, 11:07 p.m. Friday, 1800 E. 1450 Road.
  • Authorized controlled burning, 10:11 p.m. Friday, 1400 Riverside Road.
  • Smoke detector activation, no fire, 7:59 p.m. Friday, 1439 Tenn.
  • High school football game standby, 5:55 p.m. Friday, 1101 Miss.
  • Smoke detector activation, no fire, 5:35 p.m. Friday, 1500 Sigma Nu Place.
  • Smoke detector activation, no fire, 4:58 p.m. Friday, 2424 Melrose Lane.
  • Steam, vapor or dust thought to be smoke, 4:17 a.m. Friday, 1025 Miss.

Commenting has been disabled for this item.