Twenty-one Kansas University student filmmakers received prizes in the first annual Tensie Awards. The Tensies, KU's version of the Oscars, are named after Lawrence philanthropist Tensie Oldfather. They honor outstanding student filmmaking during the past academic year.
The awards were given in late spring at Liberty Hall, and winners were chosen by faculty members and KU film alumni guest judges Robert Kortlucke, Gavon Laessing, Matt Mason and Niki Newland. About 200 people attended the event, where assistant professors Matt Jacobson and Kevin Willmott served as presenters.
Winners received film reels as trophies, which were later adorned with engraved brass plates.
Here's a look at the winners:
- Steven Rae Phipps, Galena senior, won the "Worse Than Seeing Your Parents Having Sex" Award for most disturbing imagery in the film "Mourning Glory."
- Scott Alan Johnson, Lawrence senior, won the Best Comedy award for "Subtext."
- Jeremy L. Osbern, Lawrence senior, won Best Director and Best Music Video for "The Passion" and a Special Recognition Award for "Off The Wall."
- Paul David Shoulberg, Lawrence senior, won Best Comedy for "Subtext."
- Matthew J. Blume, Hays senior, won a Special Recognition Award for "Kallide."
- Lucas Joel Mosiman, Sedgwick senior, won Best Comedy for "Subtext."
- Kyle Nathaniel Hamrick, Olathe senior, won Best Experimental for "Untitled."
- Jennifer Ellen Mohr, Overland Park senior won the John Brown Award for best political statement for "Pusher Man."
- David Bruce Brodie, Prairie Village senior, won Best Videography for "Her Routine."
- Paul A. Santos, Shawnee senior, won Best Animation for "The Animator's Nightmare."
- Blake T. Gladfelter, Wichita senior, won Best Editing for "Embers."
- Tyler Dean Alfrey, Topeka senior, won Best Picture and Best Drama for "Supper's Ready."
- Matthew Duane Simonson, Topeka senior, won Best Documentary for "Barbed Wire and Buffets."
- Erin Dawn Widmer, Topeka senior, won the Leo Buerman Award for Best Work with Local Significance for "Sex Mis-Education: Problems with Sexuality Education in Our Society."
- Jason Charles Liebgott, Belle Plaine senior, won the John Brown Award for "Pusher Man."
- Sean Robert Kiely, Lake Forrest, Ill., senior, won a John Brown Award for "Pusher Man."
- Kevin Michael Beacom, Omaha, Neb., senior, won the Cecil B. DeMille Award (Longest Project) for "Stab."
- Christopher Dean Blunk, Omaha, Neb., senior, won a Special Recognition Award for "Off the Wall" and Best Sound for "The Fascist of X-Mart."
- Patrick Michael Rea, Schuyler, Neb., senior, won Best Body of Work Overall.
- Jonathon R. Allen, Cincinnati, senior, won Best Cinematography for "Supper's Ready."
- Christopher Daniel Ordal, Sioux Falls, S.D., junior, won Best Comedy for "Subtext."