Law enforcement report
- A man was injured in a one-vehicle accident shortly after 10 p.m. Tuesday north of Wakarusa School at the junction of East 1000 and North 1000 roads, according to the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. He was taken by air ambulance helicopter to KU Med, Kansas City, Kan. The man was pinned under the vehicle when it overturned, a Sheriff's spokesman said. Officers were still investigating, and no other information was available late Tuesday.
- A 41-year-old Baldwin woman fell asleep at the wheel and drove into a ditch about 7 p.m. Sunday on County Road 1055, a Sheriff's official said. Carrie Hill was driving a 1994 Plymouth southbound when she left the roadway near the intersection of North 1175 Road, said Lt. Kathy Tate, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff's Office. Passersby reported the wreck. An ambulance crew took Hill to Lawrence Memorial Hospital, where she was treated and released.
Burglaries and thefts reported
- Someone took a $2,000 neon sign from the Yacht Club, 530 Wis., according to a police report. The theft happened sometime between July 17 and July 31.
- A truck belonging to Martin Logan Limited, 2101 Del., was taken from the business sometime between 10 a.m. Saturday and 5 p.m. Sunday, according to a report. The truck was valued at $12,000.
- A $4,000 flatbed trailer belonging to Midwest Door of Kansas disappeared sometime between 5 p.m. and 9 a.m. Monday from the 700 block of East 22nd Street, according to a report.
- A 45-year-old Lawrence man reported his 1990 Harley-Davidson motorcycle taken sometime between 10:30 p.m. Sunday and 11 a.m. Monday from his home in the 1100 block of New Jersey Street. He valued the cycle at $14,000.
- A 42-year-old man reported $2,175 in car stereo equipment taken last Thursday or Friday from a vehicle parked at his home in the 700 block of Maple Street. The suspect broke a window to gain entry, according to a report.
Lawrence-Douglas County Fire & Medical reported the following responses:
- Vehicle fire, 9 p.m. Monday, Second and Illinois streets.
- Vehicle fire, 8:46 p.m. Monday, 1004 N. Third St.
- Smoke detector malfunction, 7:50 p.m. Monday, 1440 Jayhawk Blvd.
- Attempted burning, 6:02 p.m. Monday, 1119 W. 29th Terrace.
- Fire call, canceled, 4:47 p.m. Monday, 2424 Melrose Lane.
- Gasoline spill, 4:35 p.m. Monday, 1000 N. Third St.
- False alarm, 1:08 p.m. Monday, 2921 W. 27th St.
- Carbon monoxide incident, 9:09 a.m. Monday, 3012 W. Seventh St.
- Smoke detector malfunction, 2 a.m. Monday, 4913 Jefferson Way.
- Smoke scare, 12:29 a.m. Monday, 1530 Engel Road.
Lawrence Humane Society
Dogs brought to shelter
- Cocker spaniel, tan, neutered male, 5 to 7 years old.
- Pyrenees, tan and white, female, 7 years old.
- Pyrenees and chow mix, cream, male, 1 year old.
- German short hair, liver and white, female, 3 to 5 years old.
- Healer mix, black and white, male, 4 to 5 months old.
- Labrador retriever, black, female, 1 year old.
- Healer and lab mix, tan, female, 1 to 2 years old.
- Retriever, golden, male, 10 to 12 months old.
- Rat terrier, black and white, female, 8 years old.
- Shepherd mix, black and tan, neutered male, 2 years old.