Archive for Monday, June 4, 2001

All stories

Milwaukee stops Cubs’ streak
Sosa comes close on final at-bat, but flies out deep to right field in 4-2 setback
June 4, 2001
The end of the Chicago Cubs’ longest winning streak in 65 years didn’t come easy.
On the record
June 4, 2001
Respect required
June 4, 2001
County board
June 4, 2001
Friends and neighbors
June 4, 2001
Horoscopes
June 4, 2001
Celebrate Webbys with serious surfing
June 4, 2001
The Webbys are coming.
Ramirez jolts Jays
Boston slugger tags 491-foot homer at SkyDome
June 4, 2001
Manny Ramirez decked the Blue Jays.
Baseball considers changing draft
Starting next year, foreign athletes may be included in selection process
June 4, 2001
Major League Baseball will hold its 37th-annual draft Tuesday and Wednesday, and we may never see another draft quite like it.
Gordon rolls to victory at Dover
Driver leads for 375 laps of MBNA Platinum 400, claims fourth win on Monster Mile
June 4, 2001
Jeff Gordon knows nothing is certain in racing, so he wasn’t enjoying the beating he was giving the rest of the field Sunday at Dover Downs International Speedway.
Briefly
June 4, 2001
Schwegler bids farewell to principal of 23 years Retiring Schwegler School principal Gary Stauffer received an emotional send-off this weekend from school staff, students and parents. The last act of the annual school talent show Friday featured a musical tribute to Stauffer by teachers. Dressed in motorcycle T-shirts, the faculty sang “Leader of the Pack,” using a bicycle as a prop. Stauffer, above, also was presented with a scrapbook from the students that not only included photos of his days at Schwegler but also personal notes and cards from students and parents. Two weeks ago Stauffer was honored at a community picnic sponsored by the school’s Parent-Teacher Assn. Sunday evening the teachers held a party for Stauffer at Shirk’s Barn north of Lawrence. “There were a few tearful moments but a lot of laughs,” sixth-grade teacher Susan Vossler said. Stauffer’s first retirement act after 23 years as Schwegler principal will be to travel to Tulsa, Okla., to watch Tiger Woods in the U.S. Open, Vossler said. _____________________ Entertainment: Wizard Run to display medley of automobiles The Lawrence Street Rod Assn. is sponsoring the third annual Wizard Run car show this weekend in Lawrence. The show, featuring antiques, street rods, customs, classics, motorcycles and special interest cars and trucks, will be from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday at Douglas County 4-H Fairgrounds. Awards will be given to the top 25 cars, as well as to categories such as best interior, ladies’ choice, best unfinished, best paint, best engine and best of show. Some of the cars that will be at the show will be on display from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday at Sonic Drive-In, 1015 E. 23rd St. For more information, call Tom Wilkerson at 749-5858 or Dennis and Ruth Stone at 841-0678. _____________________ Gasoline prices: Pump patrol at work The Journal-World has found a Lawrence-area gasoline price as low as: $1.61.9 a gallon at Citgo at Ninth and Iowa streets. If you find a lower price, please call us at 832-7154. Be prepared to leave the name of the business, the address and the price. Or go to www.ljworld.com /section/gasoline to join our Pump Patrol message board with your gas price information. The following is the average price for a gallon of regular-grade gasoline in Kansas on Friday, one month ago and one year ago according to the AAA Daily Fuel Gauge Report: - Kansas City metro $1.749, $1.631, $1.566 - Lawrence $1.735, $1.637, $1.519 - Topeka $1.697, $1.639, $1.517 - Wichita $1.715, $1.626, $1.574. _____________________ Thunderstorms expected Monday evening The thunderstorms the Lawrence area had overnight should taper off this morning. And you might be able to put your umbrellas away for a short time Monday afternoon. The National Weather service in Topeka forecasts a 40 percent chance for thunderstorms Monday afternoon, with skies becoming partly sunny and highs around 80. Thunderstorms are likely Monday night, with a 60 percent chance for rain and locally heavy rail. The lows will be around 65. Tuesday’s skies will be partly sunny with a 40 percent chance for thunderstorms and a high 75 to 80. Tuesday night will be partly cloudy with a 40 percent chance for thunderstorms and a low around 60. The extended forecast, Wednesday through Friday calls for the rain to end, with lows in the 50s and highs 75 to 80. Saturday and Sunday are expected to be dry and warmer, with lows in the 60s and highs in the 80s. Several eastern Kansas cities reported rain overnight, according to the National Weather Service. Emporia, Lawrence and Olathe received more than 2 inches of rain, while Chanute had just under 2 inches. Topeka had more than 1 inch of rain.