New red-card rules at World Cup approved after Champions League and AFCON incidents
Yellow-card rule also tweaked
FILE - Benfica's Gianluca Prestianni fights for the ball against Real Madrid's Vinicius Junior during a Champions League playoff soccer match between SL Benfica and Real Madrid in Lisbon, Portugal, Tuesday, Feb. 17, 2026. (AP Photo/Pedro Rocha, File)
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — Rules for showing red cards to players at the World Cup were updated Tuesday because of two controversies in international soccer this year.
FIFA president Gianni Infantino pushed for changes after Benfica’s Gianluca Prestianni tried to hide verbal insults toward Vinícius Júnior in a Champions League game and Senegal’s team walked off the field to protest a referee’s decision in a heated and chaotic Africa Cup of Nations final.
Soccer’s rulemaking panel, the International Football Association Board, agreed that players can be penalized with a red card if they cover their mouths when verbally confronting another player.
The rule is not mandatory within The Laws of the Game but gives competition organizers like FIFA the option to use it.
It was unanimously approved by IFAB officials from FIFA and the four British soccer federations at a special meeting Tuesday in Vancouver, British Columbia, ahead of the FIFA Congress on Thursday.
FIFA’s proposal followed Vinícius, backed by Real Madrid teammate Kylian Mbappé, accusing Prestianni of making a racially charged insult while raising his jersey to cover his mouth during the game in February.
Last week, UEFA handed Prestianni a six-game ban — three of the games deferred for a probationary period — for the verbal abuse, which it said was homophobic. UEFA could not prove the racial insult which Prestianni denied, though he admitted using a homophobic slur.
If Prestianni is selected for Argentina’s World Cup squad, he must sit out the defending champion’s first two matches in June, although the ban can be appealed.
“At the discretion of the competition organizer, any player covering their mouth in a confrontational situation with an opponent may be sanctioned with a red card,” IFAB said.
IFAB also agreed any player who leaves the field in protest of a referee’s decision can be sanctioned with a red card. The rule also applies to team officials who urge players to leave the field.
Senegal players left the field during stoppage time of the AFCON final in January to protest host nation Morocco being awarded a penalty when the score was 0-0. Play was delayed for nearly 15 minutes before Morocco’s spot-kick was saved. Senegal scored in extra time to win the title.
Senegal was later stripped of the title by an appeals panel of African soccer’s governing body, and the case will now be judged at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Lausanne, Switzerland.
IFAB said the amendments will be communicated to all 48 teams playing in the World Cup.
AMNESTY FOR YELLOW CARDS
FIFA has tweaked World Cup rules on yellow cards to ensure fewer players are suspended for key elimination games.
An extra amnesty for yellow cards — wiping player disciplinary records twice during the expanded tournament in North America — was proposed to a meeting Tuesday of FIFA’s ruling council. Later FIFA issued a statement confirming the change.
“Reflective of the expanded format with an extra knockout round, the FIFA Council confirmed an amendment to the regulations for the FIFA World Cup 2026 whereby single yellow cards in the final competition will be canceled after the group stage and then again after the quarterfinals,” it said.
At the World Cup, players must serve a one-game ban if they are shown a yellow card in two different games but single yellow cards were canceled at previous tournaments after the quarterfinals stage. That ensured no player would miss the final through suspension just because of getting a yellow card in the semifinal.
The expanded 48-team World Cup format, with an extra round-of-32 knockout stage, led to a FIFA review aimed at helping keep players on the field.
FIFA cleared the disciplinary records of players who have one yellow card after the three-game group stage so they start the knockout phase afresh. A second amnesty after the quarterfinals will apply for players who got one yellow during the three previous knockout rounds and whose teams advanced to the semifinals.
FIFA also announced Tuesday an increase in financial resources to be distributed to all 48 World Cup participating teams by a further 15%, totaling $871 million, or just over $18 million per team. The new figures include an increase in preparation money from $1.5 million to $2.5 million per team and an increase in qualification money from $9 million to $10 million.
The World Cup will be played June 11 to July 19 in the United States, Canada and Mexico.





