Kansas tennis drops 6-1 decision to Oklahoma
After winning its last two matches, the Kansas women’s tennis team couldn’t maintain that momentum and ultimately suffered a 6-1 loss to Oklahoma inside the Headington Family Tennis Center in Norman, Okla., on Sunday.
Kansas moves to 3-3 in duals this season after winning its previous two matches against Wichita State and Arizona.
The Jayhawks got off to a slow start in doubles, with Sonia Smagina and Vasiliki Karvouni falling to the Sooners on court one. After falling behind 5-1 on court two, Malkia Ngounoue and Julia Deming battled back to bring the set to 5-4 before Oklahoma finished it out with a 6-4 win.
KU’s lone point came during singles play on court six, when Julia Deming defeated Oklahoma’s Camila Romero by fighting her way through a third set tiebreaker. Smagina, Ngounoue, Carmen Roxana Manu, Karvouni and Tiffany Lagarde all dropped their respective matches in singles for Kansas.
Kansas will return to action on Saturday, when it hosts Iowa State at the Jayhawk Tennis Center. The match will begin at 12 p.m.
OU 6, Kansas 1
1. Carmen Corley (OU) def. #81 Sonia Smagina (KAN) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Ivana Corley (OU) def. Malkia Ngounoue (KAN) 7-6 (7-2), 6-4
3. Dana Guzman (OU) def. Carmen Roxana Manu (KAN) 6-2, 6-3
4. Marcelina Podlinska (OU) def. Vasiliki Karvouni (KAN) 6-3, 6-3
5. Kianah Motosono (OU) def. Tiffany Lagarde (KAN) 6-2, 6-3
6. Julia Deming (KAN) def. Camila Romero (OU) 4-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
1. Carmen Corley/Ivana Corley (OU) def. Vasiliki Karvouni/Sonia Smagina (KAN) 6-2
2. Dana Guzman/Camila Romero (OU) def. Julia Deming/Malkia Ngounoue (KAN) 6-4
3. Kianah Motosono/Marcelina Podlinska (OU) vs. Tiffany Lagarde/Carmen Roxana Manu (KAN) 5-5, unfinished