Letter to the editor: Replace Long
To the editor:
As an avid KU basketball fan since 1966, I am convinced that Athletic Director Jeff Long should be replaced.
He may be great at administering football programs, but he has consistently steered the KU Basketball ship into the icebergs instead of around them:
1. Playing the victim of Adidas, while simultaneously signing a new contract with Adidas for big money, was laughably hypocritical and gave the NCAA cover for hammering us regarding the pending Notice of Allegations.
2. Hiring Snoop Dogg while being ignorant of or incapable of managing what was inevitably to follow was embarrassing and gave the NCAA more cover.
3. While I do not know all the facts of this one and am merely speculating, it sure looks like the administration played a role in needlessly losing longtime strength coach Andrea Hudy, who was a wonderful asset.
4. Nonconference games against Power 5 teams are rare and important chess pieces in the game of keeping an elite program at the top. Locking us in to play pathetic Mizzou for six years handicaps us (but is great for MU).
5. Rushing to apologize to K-State after the recent brawl, before having all the facts, helped assure that KU players would be cast as the exclusive bad guys in the ensuing media circus. The Big 12 got it right: players from both teams were nearly equally bad actors.
We already lost one Hall of Fame coach due, in part, to a chancellor hiring an AD who was not up to the task. Chancellor Girod, please act now to assure that history does not repeat itself.