Letter to the editor: Destroying the earth
To the editor:
Donald Trump, as the “chosen one,” has said he will do more for our country than any other president in history. He is well on his way, at least, to having more effect on climate change than perhaps any other person in history. If you question this, consider these actions (partial list):
• Rolled back vehicle fuel efficiency standards.
• Shifted authority to states to regulate coal fired power plant carbon emissions (allowing Wyoming, Texas, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc., to decide what is best for the country regarding their oil, gas and coal production).
• Ended regulations curbing oil, gas and coal production and limiting carbon emissions.
• Reversed regulations on energy companies limiting methane gas leaking from wells, pipelines and storage facilities.
• Withdrew U.S. from the Paris Climate Accord.
• Has tried to open vast areas of Arctic and Atlantic oceans to offshore energy development.
• Has tried to weaken regulations on oil and gas production in national parks.
• Approved the Keystone XL pipeline.
• Slashed the budget for the Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy.
• Promised to eliminate the EPA and has made a good start on that.
• Opened previously protected federal lands to oil and gas exploration.
• Has forbidden federal energy experts to discuss climate change.
• And now is questioning the use of energy efficient light bulbs!
If you have children or grandchildren or care in any way about the future of our country and this earth, you should be worried. And angry. Enough to do something about it.