Lawrence man to face trial on charges of attempted first-degree murder, aggravated burglary; witnesses describe stabbing, beating

photo by: Mackenzie Clark

The Douglas County Judicial and Law Enforcement Center, which houses Douglas County District Court and a number of other criminal justice services at 111 E. 11th St., is pictured April 8, 2020.

A Lawrence man accused of stabbing another man for insulting him will stand trial on felony charges of attempted first-degree murder and aggravated burglary.

After hearing testimony during a preliminary hearing Thursday in Douglas County District Court, Judge Kay Huff bound Brian Samuel Stubbs, 24, over for trial on four charges. Along with the felony charges, Stubbs is facing the misdemeanor charges of criminal use of a weapon and obstruction.

The man who was stabbed testified in court that Stubbs — whom he knows by his middle name, Sam — had come to his home in the Cedar Apartments at 24th Street and Ousdahl Road around midnight on March 19. He said Stubbs banged on his door while he was trying to go to sleep. After opening the door, the man said, Stubbs stabbed him in the abdomen and then entered the apartment and began hitting him.

“As soon as I opened the door he stabbed me,” the man said.

The man said he received several injuries and was eventually taken to the Overland Park Regional Medical Center, where he went into surgery to check whether his organs were damaged from the stabbing. He said he was also treated for face lacerations, a broken clavicle and fractured ribs.

Stubbs was arrested around 1 a.m. March 19 in the 1700 block of West 24th Street, the Journal-World has reported.

According to court testimony:

The man who was stabbed said he believed the incident stemmed from an altercation he had with Stubbs during a prior meeting.

When he first met Stubbs, the man said he had what appeared to be tattoos on his hands referencing gangs. But when he later met Stubbs again during a get-together with friends, he noticed the tattoos were gone. After a few alcoholic drinks, the man said he pointed out the missing tattoos and called Stubbs a “magic marker gangster.”

Then during the night of the stabbing, the man said when he opened his apartment door, Stubbs immediately stabbed him. As the man was staggering back into his apartment, he said he heard Stubbs say the name of a gang he had mentioned previously, and that Stubbs then said “you’re not going to disrespect me.”

After falling over a chair in the apartment, the man said Stubbs got on top of him and began hitting him for a few minutes. He eventually got hold of Stubbs’ hands to stop the attack, and Stubbs told the man he had lost his glasses during the incident and needed to find them.

While Stubbs was looking for his glasses, the man left the apartment and went to his next-door neighbor’s apartment, he said.

The neighbor testified that he heard the fight, which woke him up. He said he first heard someone knocking on his neighbor’s door while he was sleeping. He then heard what he thought was banging on the door, suggesting something serious was going on. He said he also heard a loud noise coming from the man’s apartment, which shares a wall with his, as if a fight were going on.

The neighbor said he wanted to do something to help and eventually saw the man who was stabbed and let him into his apartment. He said the man was limping and had a “puncture” in his abdomen near his hip that looked like it was bigger than the size of a quarter. He said the man was in pain and could not move well, so he called 911.

Lawrence Police Officer Madison Matthews testified that the neighbor told police that Stubbs tried to get into his apartment but he had told Stubbs that the man who had been stabbed needed help and he was on the phone calling 911.

Sgt. Daniel Ashley testified that when he was arriving on scene he saw Stubbs running away from the apartment complex. He said he followed him, chasing him into a different apartment complex in the area. He eventually got the man to stop in a hallway of a building in the apartment complex and arrested Stubbs.

While arresting him, Ashley said he noticed Stubbs’ hands were bloody. Another officer then recovered a knife from Stubbs’ pocket, he said.

Stubbs is currently in custody on a $175,000 cash or surety bond, according to court records. His next court appearance is scheduled for May 17. The Douglas County Sheriff’s Office has refused to provide Stubbs’ booking photo to the Journal-World.

Contact Dylan Lysen

Have a story idea, news or information to share? Contact reporter Dylan Lysen:


Welcome to the new Our old commenting system has been replaced with Facebook Comments. There is no longer a separate username and password login step. If you are already signed into Facebook within your browser, you will be able to comment. If you do not have a Facebook account and do not wish to create one, you will not be able to comment on stories.