Overnight fire at Evergy’s Lawrence-area energy plant was caused by turbine malfunction
An overnight fire at an energy plant in the Lawrence area was the result of a turbine malfunction, an Evergy official said Thursday afternoon.
Kaley Bohlen, a spokeswoman for Evergy, told the Journal-World the malfunction sparked a small fire at the energy center, located at 1250 North 1800 Road, but it was quickly controlled and no one was injured in the incident.
“The turbine is shut down and the rest of the plant is safely operating,” Bohlen said in an email.
Deputy Charlie Cooper, a spokeswoman for the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office, said deputies helped respond to the fire but were no longer needed when they arrived. She said Consolidated Fire District No. 1 led the response to the call. The Journal-World’s calls to the fire district on Thursday were not returned.
Contact Dylan Lysen
Have a story idea, news or information to share? Contact reporter Dylan Lysen: