Teen who took handgun to Lawrence High School convicted
photo by: Mike Yoder
Story updated at 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 22, 2019:
A teen who took a handgun to Lawrence High School in February has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime in connection with the incident.
The teen pleaded no contest to criminal use of weapons on Wednesday in Douglas County District Court, according to the district attorney’s office. His sentencing is scheduled for July 3.
The boy was arrested Feb. 12 at LHS, with the gun on his person, but is no longer in custody. He is currently enrolled at LHS, school district spokeswoman Julie Boyle said Wednesday.
Prior to his plea agreement, the boy was charged with criminal use of weapons, for allegedly possessing the gun with a barrel shorter than 12 inches while under the age of 18, as well as felony theft, for allegedly stealing the gun from his mother.
Administrators and Lawrence police officers, “acting on a tip that a student may have a gun at school,” conducted a search and confiscated the weapon, a district spokeswoman previously told the Journal-World. She said the gun was found on the student’s person.
The gun was loaded with a magazine, but there was not a round in the chamber, according to Lawrence police.
There was no incident involving the gun and no reported threats or injuries, according to police and the school district.