Frank Mason III nearly hit desperation heave
Frank Mason III fired up a half-court shot that almost won Saturday’s Kansas-Kentucky game in regulation.
The 5-foot-11 junior’s missile that beat the buzzer actually hit the right side of the rim before clanging away, the two teams headed to OT tied at 76, before Mason’s Jayhawks prevailed, 90-84.
“When it left my hand, I felt I had a great chance of making it. It didn’t fall, though,” Mason said after scoring 13 points, grabbing eight rebounds and dishing four assists while playing 42 minutes in KU’s 90-84 overtime win.
“No, I didn’t think it was going in,” KU coach Bill Self said. “I am decent at following the ball. I thought it had a chance. Although we’d have taken it, that’s not how the game shoulda ended. The game should have played on.”
— Benton Smith (@BentonASmith) January 31, 2016
— See what people were saying about Kansas vs. Kentucky during KUsports.com’s live coverage.
More news and notes from Kansas vs. Kentucky
- Extra incentive: Wayne Selden helps KU win battle of blue bloods
- Tom Keegan: Bill Self busts out junk defense to top Kentucky
- John Calipari: Wildcats lost ‘heck of a college game’
- Frank Mason III nearly hit desperation heave
- Notebook: Jayhawks overcome free-throw struggles
- Selden leads Jayhawks to OT victory over UK
- Keegan Ratings: Wayne Selden takes his game to another level