LJWorld.com weblogs Seen it?

Announcing a change at LJWorld.com

Two years.

I've been wrangling comments and commenters and breaking news and other things online for two full years now. I finally feel like I've developed a rhythm.

That's twice as long as I've held any specific job — so that means, of course, it's time for a change.

Over the next couple of weeks, I'll be training Whitney Mathews to be our company's new online editor. Meanwhile, I'll be stepping into a new role as the company's assistant director of media strategy.

What does that mean? Well, for me, it means I'm stepping away from the day-to-day operations of LJWorld.com, in favor of a more strategic and longterm focus. I'll monitor our growth and work with Whitney to continue to make LJWorld.com a better place for news and community. You'll probably still see me posting in the comments from time-to-time, but not as often as before.

More broadly, I'll spend most of my time working to nurture our niche sites, including WellCommons, plus work on other projects that we're not quite ready to talk about. I'll also coordinate with the folks in our advertising department to make sure our websites are not only useful to all of you, but also to local businesses.

I'm excited for the new challenge and increased responsibility, but I'm being honest when I say I'll miss the relationships I've built with many of you. But I don't feel too bad because I'm really not going anywhere, just juggling what I do.

If you have any questions for me, or for Whitney, get in touch. We're always looking for your feedback.

Comments

Agnostick 3 years, 9 months ago

Long-distance dedication for Miss "Kealing/Cox On Steroids." This seems appropriate after the past few days...

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe it is not what a conservative says, rather how he or she says it. I can count on one hand the number of comments that I have had nuked. Each one, when I asked JK, had a legitimate reason. I found a different way to say it and re-submitted the comment.

As far as JK briefing MW about the users.... LJW and he would be crazy not to do so. Jonathan has been fairly tolerant, built some relationships, and learned our quirks. We will all better served if that knowledge is passed on to his successor.

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 9 months ago

Well what is not correct about unidicted's comment? Kealing is telling her who to profile--who to watch and for what. If you're a liberal, you can say more than what a conservative can---always been this way on LJW. And I'm sure I was one of the first, if not the first to alert her to. Whatever. Award-winning my sore ankle!

unindicted_coconspirator 3 years, 9 months ago

"Jonathan is helping me learn about the people who live in the comment community." -Whitney

Gee what a shocker. You talk about profiling-----you have just witnessed an admission to it.

Iam Tired 3 years, 9 months ago

Me thinks that Whitney is not playing fair..... <8(

TrooGrit 3 years, 9 months ago

As far as words you can't say on the ljworld's board, I'd refer you to the late George Carlin's seven words you can't say on radio, and use that as a basis. There are others you also can't say, but if you review the 7, it'd be a 90% start!

independant1 3 years, 9 months ago

welcome aboard!

Everybody is ignorant. Only on different subjects. (Will Rogers)

Machiavelli_mania 3 years, 9 months ago

Isn't it just like the world to reward the incompetent?!

notajayhawk 3 years, 9 months ago

Maybe in addition to the banned words you could have something about what constitutes "We think both sides have had plenty of time and space to give their opinions". (Five days?) Or maybe "the volume of comments is slowing down the load time for the story". (Consider that a public service, getting people to trade up from those old x386's with the 14400 dial-up modems.)

I miss Jonathan already.

From one of my favorite movies, 'Inherit the Wind':

[Drummond contemplates a radio microphone in the courtroom]

Henry Drummond: Radio! God, this is going to break down a lot of walls.

Radio Announcer: You're not supposed to say "God" on the radio!

Henry Drummond: Why the hell not?

Radio Announcer: You're not supposed to say "Hell", either.

Henry Drummond: This is going to be a barren source of amusement!

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

I wouldn't worry too much about the ropes. Now that you've grabbed the fork, that's about handle it with care, you're too lovely for an eye patch and the nickname Ruprecht.

Keep the big red button handy. That, and the shortest path to Free State for sanctuary is all one really needs for this job. And a really good knowledge of LJW comment/user history, sordid as it may be. Clown face is desirable. <8O)

mutualrespect37 3 years, 9 months ago

I've always enjoyed the way the posters joke around with you, J.K., and the respect and deference they show for your judgment. You've been a good umpire. Best of luck in your new role.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

I believe Whitney should be proactive and publish a list of words you can't use on the LJWorld site. That would be very helpful.

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

Hmmm. I tried it twice too, but now it's not working. Here's another to same, the image itself. http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/3170059.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D6BFB5E660D9ABD021271E4B2226B26AD8D143FD4AE7FC81B In case it wimps out on me again, here is the page it's from http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/3170059/Hulton-Archive

Both of these just worked on testing....

Liberty275 3 years, 9 months ago

First off Mr Kealing, thanks for not banning me yet. Second, warn Ms Matthews about me. Third, enjoy your new job!

Also, free the hog.

LadyJ 3 years, 9 months ago

LOL---looks like Whitney has implemented her first change which is on the 'Mother feels unfairly' blog. You won't find any grass growing under her feet. :)

wmathews (Whitney Mathews) says… Hi guys -- We think both sides have had plenty of time and space to give their opinions, and the volume of comments is slowing down the load time for the story. I think it's best if we end comments for this particular article.

June 22, 2010 at 2:15 p.m. ( permalink | suggest removal | ) Comments are frozen Comments are no longer accepted for this story.

Multi--coudn't get you link to work, but I am using IE. I will switch to Firefox and try it there.

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 9 months ago

....throwing her to the Wyandotte County wolf-dogs......

Multidisciplinary 3 years, 9 months ago

Here is the first photo available of Jonathan and other LJW staff, preparing Whitney for overseeing the boards. Jonathan is taking great care to be sure she knows just what she was getting into. (Doesn't know about ♣Free The Blog♣ indeed. You're throwing her to the wol..er..apes!) http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/3170059.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=45B0EB3381F7834D6BFB5E660D9ABD021271E4B2226B26AD8D143FD4AE7FC81B Whitney, get a photo of what you look like now. This is lot like becoming president. Best to you both.

prospector 3 years, 9 months ago

...and balloons on a roundabout

... and strategery at the Free State Brewery

Much luck to you both.

beatrice 3 years, 9 months ago

I'm pretty sure that somewhere in this job shift there was a fruit cake and a Klondike bar involved.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

just think JK, every time you pass another silver ford escort driving down the road at twenty mile an hour, with a red couch tied to the top....you will think of April 7, 2009...or thereabouts...classics never die.

Sara Wilhelm 3 years, 9 months ago

Congrats Jonathan and Whitney! I feel like there should be a passing of the torch ceremony...? This is a great move for World Company as a whole.

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks, again, everyone. I've overwhelmed by all of your kind comments. And you've helped me remember all of the little inside jokes I'll have to tell Whitney. I'm sure I'll forget a couple, so go easy on her when she doesn't know about ♣The Blog♣.

suzchase 3 years, 9 months ago

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Well done. I must say i was a bit terrified that you were leaving us completely. I was getting ready to launch an air attack from Little Red if that were the case. Congratulations!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 9 months ago

A blast from the past: "Posted by SAVE_THE_WHALES_INSTEAD (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:46 p.m. (Suggest removal) Bob I want your contact information Posted by one_more_bob (anonymous) on January 30, 2006 at 3:48 p.m. (Suggest removal) Turn left at the rock that looks like a bear, then turn right at the bear that looks like a rock. There I am."

TrooGrit 3 years, 9 months ago

Welcome, Whitney! And the very best of luck to you, Mr. Kealing!

Shane Garrett 3 years, 9 months ago

History is once again a record of change. Thanks, JK. Welcome, WM.

autie 3 years, 9 months ago

I never said JK was unfair. That comment was unfair. He was even handed. He only stuck a fork in it when he had too....so Whitney, keep the forks out of your eye. And hopefully, you'll never meet a cousin you won't like. So for all the cousins..carry on.

TOB, I'm sure Multi has all that stuff in the archieves. As the unofficial poster historian.

Kathy Getto 3 years, 9 months ago

Thanks for all your patience, Jonathan! I wish you the best of luck in your new endeavor!

Whitney, welcome aboard!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 9 months ago

Words of wisdom... Never wave back to a friendly crossing guard, it just encourages them.

bearded_gnome 3 years, 10 months ago

Welcome Whitney, and sometimes your new job will feel like you are the hall monitor for a kindergarten full of kids on crac!

yes, you do have to read up on that infamous blog. I had a small role in getting He-who-must-never-be-named disappeareddededded. oh that reminds me, have Jonathan explain the numerous and diverse spellings of disapppearrededdedddedededd, too.

are you sure you know what you're getting into here? do you own a flak jacket yet?

welcome! Jonathan has set a good example for you to follow, except for occasional slipups...proving he is human.

I guess I should add, you'll also see me active in things like elections, NCAA tournaments and other big projects for the News Center.

---okay Jonathan fess up, who's given you the exercise equipment?! now that you're such a powerful sports [media] figure?

levicircle2 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats, and best of luck, Jonathan!

Congrats, and the VERY best of luck, Whitney! wink

Newell_Post 3 years, 10 months ago

Marion & Sven:

Here's your chance. Throw yourselves on the mercy of Ms. Mathews and beg for one more chance.

oneeye_wilbur 3 years, 10 months ago

About the beaver on 31st street. It was cooked up and served just the other day at a taco place on 9th street, I heard!

workinghard 3 years, 10 months ago

I see Oreobama managed to get disappeareded before JK leaves. I figured that was close to happening.

OonlyBonly 3 years, 10 months ago

The King is dead! Long live the Queen!

Tom Shewmon 3 years, 10 months ago

Wonder if:

1. Conservative users will be more scrutinized now than liberal posters.
  2. Conservative users will be less scrutinized now than liberal posters.
  3. Conservative users will be scrutinized the same.

RoeDapple 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats to Jonathan and Whitney!!

(JK, ya didn't tell her 'bout ♣The Blog♣ didja?)

macon47 3 years, 10 months ago

WOO WOO, YOU WILL MISS ALL OF THE LOSERS THAT DONT HAVE ANY THING TO DO BUT PROOF READ THE JOURNAL WORLD PER HAPS SOMEDAY THEY WILL GET A LIFE GOOD LUCK TO YOU

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

"I see cor, Bob, where is aut, hog, all that thought JK was unfair."

The only thing I disagreed with JK was the Spacehog banning, but I didn't see the post and it was my selfishness that got in the way of reason. Spacehog is entertainment. JK is a pro and, wait, is that Jack Frost's music!!! Also, Girlfriend threatening JK to get him banned, but I kind of wish he was back. Entertainment.

Some of you all take the internet entirely too seriously. Most everyone is anonymous so nobody takes your opinions seriouly. Make a few jokes, be frienly, and enjoy a Klondike bar and/or popsicle. It's a cool and fruity treat on a hot summer's day.

/I wish someone (looking at you MD) would have kept track of the numerous memes that have been born the past seven or eight years.

Cynthia Schott 3 years, 10 months ago

Is that why my sister's letter to the editor has not appeared concerning the giant beaver kill on 31st Street?

acg 3 years, 10 months ago

Good luck in your new job! I've always been amazed at how well you've done your job without telling some of these people to go get....uh....stuffed. :)

sundancewierdo 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats JK! Maybe instead of completely removing comments, you can post a warning but allow us to read them if we want. When I see the comments removed it makes me curious and I want to be offended too!!!

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Whitney, get somebody to tell you about the *** incident.

schula 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Jonathan. I wish you the best in your new position.

Welcome, Whitney! Good luck with this bunch!

frankfussman 3 years, 10 months ago

What??? ...no mention of Barak Obama, Republicans, Topeka, etc. What is this forum coming to?? (Let sleeping dogs lie.)

lllwll 3 years, 10 months ago

Where are you no account begging JK for release of past infractions?

I see cor, Bob, where is aut, hog, all that thought JK was unfair.

Flap Doodle 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to Jonathan!

Whitney, there's a strange culture on this board that's grow like a fungus under the sink. You'll hear about pancakes and He Who Must Not Be Named and how the fishing is in various ponds and the state of readiness of TOB's bunker and the mischief that lemurs can create when you slip up and let them watch a Bruce Lee movie. Enjoy your stay.

beatrice 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats to Jonathan, certainly, because you got out! Best of luck with the new gig.

But Whitney, are you sure you want this? I mean, monitoring our conversations, our brilliant and (most often) not so brilliant observations, our petty little squabbles about everything from politics to career choices to paper or plastic ... sounds like it could easily be one of Dante's levels of hell. I can only hope it pays well.

The_Original_Bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Good work, JK. You've been a even handed moderator.

Whitney - If you see a nine fingered grey goose with gin on his breath, smack him down. Good luck.

AnnaUndercover 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Whitney and Jon!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 3 years, 10 months ago

In time you will come to regard me not only with respect and awe, but with love

sherbert 3 years, 10 months ago

Wow, good to see such positive comments coming from the posters, is this a first? Best Wishes Jonathan and Welcome Whitney!

Alison Carter 3 years, 10 months ago

The LJWorld and the collective WE are very fortunate to have you there, Jonathan. Best wishes as you pursue a new media adventure.

Pywacket 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to you both! Jonathan has shown an unbelievable level of patience and good humor and I'm sure Whitney will benefit from his level-headed and smooth example.

it's always good (and so rare) to see promotions handed to those who actually deserve them. Well done!

Boston_Corbett 3 years, 10 months ago

Jon, you have the journalism inclination to be fair and to promote reasoned discussion.

I hope you would acquaint this new Whitney lady with some of the histories of the chronic repeat abusers (i.e. he who can not be named, and that non-architect architect dude, plus others). They will try to push her, arguing how they have been wronged. Your should tell her what eventually happens.....again, and again.

Good luck in your new responsibilities.

Whitney, Welcome....

And, woof, woof, wag, wag.

Marcy McGuffie 3 years, 10 months ago

Jonathan -

You have been a patient man, wrangling this wild bunch. Well done and congrats!

Whitney -

Welcome and good luck!

riverdrifter 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for doing a great job and for being fair with us, JK. Whitney, he set the bar high -you'll have to stay away from the Grey Goose...

Benjamin Roberts 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Jonathan. You have been kind and helpful. I appreciate your patience and understanding. Good luck with your new endeavors.

Congratulations, Whitney. I look forward to seeing you in the forums. To you also, good luck!

blue73harley 3 years, 10 months ago

Congrats Jonathan!

And good luck with all the yahoos around here, Whitney!

VoiceOfReason 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations on the new job, JK. I admire the intestinal fortitude you've shown doing this job. That "toughness" will only help you in any future jobs you hold, I'm sure!

Whitney...welcome! And, I suggest you take some direction from JK and be quick to defend yourself, and the LJW, and don't take anything on here personally. :-)

OldEnuf2BYurDad 3 years, 10 months ago

You are a rare find, and well worth the promotion, I'm sure. We'll miss you. Come back and give us some hell from time to time, will you?

Sarah St. John 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations JK! I know you'll do a great job!

Whitney, welcome to the new gig! I'm sure you'll be great! (And I promise never to put an extra T in your last name!.... well, not on purpose, anyway.) :)

Ralph Reed 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations to you both!

JK: Thanks for the excellent work over the past couple of years.

Whitney: Welcome to mix.

• Ralph

jehovah_bob 3 years, 10 months ago

Aww Whitney, how are we supposed to properly internet stalk you if you lock your facebook page?

hbjayhawk 3 years, 10 months ago

Whitney:

This will be an awesome "stepping stone" in your career! Give it a great 2 years like JK and you will soon be in the ivory tower !!

Best wishes.

BeeBee3 3 years, 10 months ago

Yeah, Kealing. You really put the extra "y'" in rhythm.

Paul Decelles 3 years, 10 months ago

Good luck in the new position! Welcome Whitney!

Jonathan Kealing 3 years, 10 months ago

And thanks for all of the well-wishes. I've had a lot of fun in this job, no matter how raucous things get!

Richard Heckler 3 years, 10 months ago

hats off to a job well done.

Above all else Mr. Kealing do enjoy yourself.

Tina Roberts 3 years, 10 months ago

Am looking forward to working with you on WellCommons!

jfcm77 3 years, 10 months ago

You've done a great job, JK. Best of luck in your new role.

volunteer 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for your hard work, JK. Congrats in this era of feeling lucky to keep a job, of working for a company that can offer you various opportunities.

Welcome to the sometimes raucous online comment section, Whitney!

jackpot 3 years, 10 months ago

Good job J.K. Hope it's only better for you and Whitney.

David Lignell 3 years, 10 months ago

Congratulations, Jonathan! You'll do a good job in your new role. Looking forward to your new project launches. (Does Whitney really understand what she's stepping into? :-)

none2 3 years, 10 months ago

Best wishes in your new position. You have done an excellent job in your soon-to-be former position.

Kent Fisher 3 years, 10 months ago

I've always appreciated your professionalism and level-headed responses when monitoring these posts. Thanks JK.