Whitney Mathews (Online editor)
I have been with the Journal-World since September 2009 when I came on board as an online consultant. In June 2010 I became Online Editor.
In my time here, I have helped plan the Free State Social and been part of the team that is integrating social media into our everyday routine.
I graduated from KU in 2006. While a student, I was part of the team that launched KTKA's news website in 2005-2006. After graduation, I worked as a Web Producer for FOX 4 in Kansas City, where I was nominated for a 2008 Emmy award for online coverage of the Bodies Revealed exhibit at Union Station. Seeking a normal sleeping schedule and a social life after working early mornings and weekend nights for two years, I made the tough decision to leave news to become the Social Media Manager for Spiral16, a software company in Overland Park.
- Power restored to Westar Energy customers in south Lawrence after Thursday morning outage
- 09:15 a.m., June 23, 2011 Updated 01:40 p.m.
- Service has been restored to 88 Westar Energy customers in south Lawrence.
- NWS: Thursday afternoon thunderstorms could be severe
- June 16, 2011
- Thunderstorms will develop across northeast Kansas Thursday morning, according to the National Weather Service, but at this time no watches or warnings are in effect.
- Another chance for severe thunderstorms Tuesday afternoon, evening in Douglas County
- June 14, 2011
- There is a chance for thunderstorms late Tuesday afternoon, according to the National Weather Service, and some of the storms may be severe.
- Slight chance for severe thunderstorms Monday, highest risk north of U.S. Highway 24
- June 13, 2011
- Thunderstorms will likely develop late Monday afternoon and evening across northeast Kansas, according to the National Weather Service in Topeka.
- McLouth student Justin Johnston shot, killed on school trip to Costa Rica; classmates returning to Kansas
- 10:32 a.m., June 2, 2011 Updated 12:48 a.m.
- A student at McLouth High School has died while on a school trip to Costa Rica, the victim of an overnight shooting.
- Small chance for thunderstorms Friday afternoon, early Saturday
- May 27, 2011
- There is a small chance for thunderstorms Friday afternoon in Douglas County, according to the National Weather Service forecast.
- Flood advisory for Douglas County expires
- 10:54 a.m., May 25, 2011 Updated 12:48 p.m.
- The National Weather Service in Topeka has issued an urban and small stream flood advisory for parts of northeast Kansas.
- Tornado watch expires for Douglas County
- Heavy rain, strong winds expect from first line of storms
- 08:31 a.m., May 24, 2011 Updated 12:00 a.m.
- The National Weather Service’s Storm Prediction Center in Norman, Okla., has issued a tornado watch for Douglas County, as well as points north, south and west until midnight tonight.
- Power restored to thousands of Westar Energy customers north of Sixth Street
- 11:03 a.m., May 23, 2011 Updated 02:35 p.m.
- Four thousand Westar Energy customers lost power in Lawrence Monday morning, according to the company’s website.