LJWorld.com weblogs The Lawrence Crime Blotter

Jury picked in infant-death case

Jury selection ended late this afternoon in the trial of a man charged with murdering his 5-month old daughter last fall at Edgewood Homes in east Lawrence.Jay D. Decker, 27, Lawrence, is charged with first-degree murder in the Oct. 14, 2005 death of Risha Lafferty. Prosecutors alleged he repeatedly abused the girl in the days leading up to her death. Opening statements will begin tomorrow morning. The trial is expect to last one week. A coroner testified at Decker's[ preliminary hearing][1] that the baby had a fractured skull, bruises under her scalp, and signs of being shaken. The key witness in the case is Risha's mother, Brandi M. Hendrickson, who testified that the baby showed up with repeated injuries after she began leaving Decker as the baby sitter during the day while she worked. Defense attorneys challenged her credibility during the preliminary hearing. Defense attorney Mark Manna said during jury selection that the trial is likely to include conflicting opinions from medical experts. Manna and Thomas Bartee are the defense attorneys; Assistant Dist. Attys. Amy McGowan and Brandon Jones are prosecuting.-Contributed by [Eric Weslander.][2] [1]: http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/feb... [2]: http://www2.ljworld.com/staff/eric_weslander

Comments

Steve Jacob 8 years, 2 months ago

Should be a very interesting trial.

Sigmund 8 years, 2 months ago

Does the trial begin in the morning?

oldvet 8 years, 2 months ago

Judge: "Any questions before we begin jury selection?"

oldvet: "Excuse me your honor... which of those guys sitting over there is the guilty one???!!!"

FormerCentralKansan 8 years, 2 months ago

Guilty Guilty Guilty. I wish I was on this jury.

candycane 8 years, 2 months ago

I think to sit on this trial would be very difficult. If the mother became concerned about the childs well being and she noticed bruising and bodily injury why did she continue to leave the baby with him? Just because that was the baby's father does not make it okay for abuse which resulted in death ok. So, if mom knew that something wasn't right but yet continued to allow this to go on why isn't she being charged too? She knowingly knew that somehting wasn't right but yet did nothing to prevent it from continuing. What does this say for her? Is she such a good mom afterall? How can she cope with knowing that she could have done something to stop this. Let's hope that if she decides to reproduce that she will think first about ignoring the signs of abuse.

I_Bejewel 8 years, 2 months ago

I served my time on jury duty here in Lawrence back in 2000, got called up again in 2004, but was excused due to my pregnancy of my now beautiful little 19-month-old boy. If I had to be on this jury, I don't think I could stand it.

Is it true that only registered voters get called up for jury duty? Just wondering because I've been called up twice (a registered voter) and my husband (non-registered) has never been called.

Kelly Powell 8 years, 2 months ago

Candycane.....If you read the comments about the lady who drowned her kids a bunch of people thought the father to, should be charged and to paraphrase"castrated with a rusty tuna can lid".......I smell a double standard on this board.

HappyFace 8 years, 2 months ago

To I_Bejewel: I have been a registered voter since I was 18. I am now 55 and have only been called ONCE! I was living in S. Fla. then and was excused because I worked at the Fla. Bar Assn. (a complaint office against lawyers) and the defense attorney recognized me (He had been to our office...to defend himself against a complaint)....and didn't want me to serve on the jury. (did he think I would hold that against him??!!) Soooo.....I don't think it is just unregistered voters that don't get called....but, it may be that you DO have to be registered for them to locate you to serve. :)

KaraGourley 8 years, 2 months ago

No you dont have to be a registered voter. I had never registered when I was first selected to show up for jury duty.