LJWorld.com weblogs Congressional Briefing

Brownback has 'serious concerns' about Sotomayor

Sen. Sam Brownback's meeting on Wednesday with Supreme Court nominee Sonia Sotomayor did not quell any of the conservative Kansas senator's concerns about her judicial philosophy.

"I wanted to hear more from her as I have serious concerns about her philosophy as it relates to an activist judiciary," Brownback said Thursday in a statement.

Senate Republicans have complained about the timing of the July 13 start date for the appellate judge's confirmation hearings with the Senate Judiciary Committee. They say senators need more time to review her record.

Brownback met with her Wednesday afternoon in the Capitol. Since President Barack Obama nominated her in May to replace retiring Justice David Souter, conservatives have voiced concerns on a Sotomayor quote about the role of the appellate court.

"As Chief Justice John Roberts said, a justice should be an impartial umpire, not a player in the game. I am afraid Judge Sotomayor wants to be more of a player than an umpire," Brownback said.

He and Sen. Pat Roberts, R-Kan., voted against elevating Sotomayor to be an appellate judge in 1998.

Comments

Machiavelli_mania 4 years, 10 months ago

Who the hades cares what Brownback thinks?! He doesn't care what we think.

JayCat_67 4 years, 10 months ago

Isn't Ann Coulter like the female Skeletor or something?

porch_person 4 years, 10 months ago

I agree Kathy. That image is worse than a jingle.

Nothing certifies Sotomayor like Brownback's disapproval. She's a lock now.

Brownback and Roberts are showing their usual political acumen by fighting a candidate who has already been previously approved by their fellow Republicans.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Oh come on guys, just a little levity.

Fred Whitehead Jr. 4 years, 10 months ago

I have a serious problem with Sam Brownback. So there!

Kathy Getto 4 years, 10 months ago

autie:

That was not nice. Now how am I going to get that out of my head?

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Speaking of the dark side, I was just reading some stuff about conservatives in America and it made me wonder. Does Ann Coulter by any chance have a calendar? You know, like with bathing suit pictures.

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

hey! I care. But I'm just an isolated moderate liberal, awash in a sea of ultra conservativism.

Kathy Getto 4 years, 10 months ago

sinverguenza (Anonymous) says…

Well I have serious concerns about Brownback, but nobody cares.

Me, too. Like, mortification of the flesh, elitism, misosygny, and the list goes on.............................

sinverguenza 4 years, 10 months ago

Well I have serious concerns about Brownback, but nobody cares.

logicsound09 4 years, 10 months ago

This is absolutely ridiculous.

Sotomayor's rulings from the bench give no indication of the Republican's claims of "judicial activism" whatsoever.

This is supported by the fact that the Republicans are forced to focus on random comments and speeches of Sotomayor's, rather than her actual decisions in court cases, which don't support the claim of "activism".

autie 4 years, 10 months ago

Of course Sam objects. He is very good at following orders. He is afraid she might be fair to everyone and not "more" fair to his keepers.

Paul R Getto 4 years, 10 months ago

The R's have some ranting to do, but she'll end up on the court and make a fine judge. Her record over her career seems pretty well balanced. The following book is a balanced discussion of the latest hot button: The Myth of Judicial Activism Making Sense of Supreme Court Decisions If activism means overturning precedents, the 'conservatives' are ahead of the 'liberals' in recent times. Of course, if nothing ever changes, as Ms. Goldberg said, "Do I have to go back to being a slave?"