LJWorld.com weblogs Congressional Briefing

Moore votes for, Moran against terror bill

Terror bill[(AP) Bickering escalates as Congress prepares to go home for midterm campaigns:][1] The House approved legislation Wednesday giving the Bush administration authority to interrogate and prosecute terrorism detainees. The action moves President Bush to the edge of a victory with a key piece of his anti-terror plan. ... Rep. Dennis Moore of Kansas was one of 34 House Democrats to back the bill. "This legislation provides a framework through which our military can bring enemy combatants to justice," Moore said in a prepared statement. "It represents a comprehensive approach that takes into account the concerns of the Supreme Court, intelligence officers and military lawyers." Moore's colleague, GOP Rep. Jerry Moran of Kansas, was one of seven Republicans to vote against the bill.Sam Brownback[(Christian News Wire) Rev. Schenck Delivers Invocation at Hispanic Gala:][2] National Clergy Council president the Reverend Rob Schenck (pronounced SHANK) delivered the opening prayer at the 2nd Annual Hispanic Heritage Dinner last night, September 27, at the Hyatt Regency Hotel on Capitol Hill. (Prayer is included below.) The event is produced by the Congressional Hispanic Leadership Institute and was sponsored by Freddie Mac, BellSouth, Ford Motor Company, Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., and other major corporations. ... Senator Sam Brownback, who is exploring a presidential bid in '08, was publicly commended by Diaz-Balart for his courageous leadership on finding a way for undocumented aliens to obtain legitimacy. Brownback noted in his remarks that he has taken considerable criticism from fellow conservatives for his overall voting record on immigration.[(New York Times) Terror Laws Cut Resettlement of Refugees:][3] The number of refugees admitted to the United States fell 23 percent this year because of provisions in two antiterrorism laws that have sharply reduced the number of resettled refugees, State Department officials said Wednesday. The laws, the USA Patriot Act and the Real ID Act, deny entry to anyone who belongs to or has provided material support to armed rebel groups, even if that support was coerced and even if the armed groups fought alongside American troops or opposed authoritarian governments criticized by the Bush administration. ... The antiterrorism provisions have also affected 500 asylum seekers in the United States, whose cases have been delayed and has prevented 700 people, who have already been deemed refugees or granted asylum, from becoming permanent residents here for the time being. Senator Sam Brownback, Republican of Kansas, urged the administration to redouble its efforts on behalf of the Burmese refugees and others who desperately need to resettle. "I know we have a lot security concerns to watch for," Mr. Brownback said at the hearing. "But there are huge populations that are absolutely persecuted and have no other option." [(Kazinform) Kazakh-American coop has great prospects, S. Brownback:][4] Kazakh-American cooperation and its dynamic development have great significance, the Senator Sam Brownback said at a briefing after the meeting with Kazakhstan President Nursultan Nazarbayev.It is necessary to pay special attention to interaction in the spheres of economy, human rights protection and security, Mr. Brownback noted. Pat Roberts[(New York Times) Iraq Report Is Due in '07; Skeptics Want to See It Now:][5] n the fall of 2002, weeks before the midterm elections, American intelligence agencies were racing to complete an assessment of Iraq as the Senate prepared to vote on a resolution sought by the White House to prepare the groundwork for war. Four years later, in the shadow of another midterm campaign, the agencies are again drafting a formal assessment on Iraq. But this time, the document is one that the White House might prefer to see finished later rather than sooner. In mid-August, John D. Negroponte, the director of national intelligence, gave the go-ahead for a National Intelligence Estimate that will address security in Iraq and the potential for civil war there. White House and intelligence officials say the work is still in its early stages and will not be done until next year. ... The intelligence estimate is being done at the behest of members of Congress, including Senator Pat Roberts, Republican of Kansas and chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee. It will be the American intelligence community's first comprehensive assessment on the state of the Iraqi insurgency and the sectarian violence in the country since the summer of 2004.Dennis Moore[(Insurance Journal) House Passes Surplus Lines Regulatory Reform Legislation:][6] H.R. 5637 would give the ceding insurer's state of domicile sole authority to govern reinsurance contracts and determine whether or not a particular reinsurance contract qualifies for credit for reinsurance. It would also prohibit states from applying their laws in an extra-territorial manner and provide uniform regulation of reinsurer solvency based upon National Association of Insurance Commissioner accreditation standards. The legislation was introduced by Reps. Ginny Brown-Waite (R-Fla.) and Dennis Moore (D-Kan.) on June 19. On July 26, the bill was convened for a full committee markup at which H.R. 5637 was approved. How to contact As always, you can find information to contact members of the Kansas congressional delegation [here.][7] [1]: http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/15625008.htm [2]: http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/574441092.html [3]: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/washington/28refugees.html?_r=1&oref=slogin [4]: http://www.inform.kz/showarticle.php?lang=eng&id=144857 [5]: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/28/washington/28intel.html?ref=world [6]: http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/national/2006/09/27/72854.htm [7]: http://ljworld.com/extra/where_to_write.html#fed

Comments

yourworstnightmare 8 years, 2 months ago

Umm, Moore voted FOR the bill and Moran voted AGAINST it, despite what the headline reads.

verity 8 years, 2 months ago

If Moore did in fact vote for this bill, he has just lost my vote.

I looked on his website yesterday and couldn't find anything about it. Can someone verify whether this is true?

staff04 8 years, 2 months ago

So then verity, you'll presumably be casting your vote for Mr. Ahner? How do you think HE would have voted?

verity 8 years, 2 months ago

opinion, thanks for the link.

Staff04---

No, I won't vote for his opponent. I will probably write in a candidate. And I intend to write Mr. Moore and tell him why I am not voting for him. Rarely if ever do I agree completely with any candidate that I vote for, but his vote on this bill literally makes me sick to my stomach. As I understand it, this bill is not a compromise as it has been called by those "compromising", it is pretty much a cave in to the administration and their desire to torture people.

If I am wrong, please let me know, because I would really like to be wrong on this one.

staff04 8 years, 2 months ago

I'm not saying I disagree with your opinion of his vote here, and I think you should absolutely contact him to let him know that he let you down.

I have a fair amount of direct experience in working with politicians, and there are times when a legislator makes a decision that may be unpopular with his/her base or even against his personal opinion, but is necessary if he is to stay in office and be able to be on your side on 99% of the other things that are important to you. I don't know that this is the case in Moore's situation--perhaps he just didn't buy into all the propaganda...

As for it being a compromise, I believe that it is to a certain extent, but it is still a bad bill.

At any rate, I support your right to write-in a candidate, but I am also confident that the first order of business in the 110th Congress will be to largely undo all of the harm that this current do-nothing/rubberstamp Congress has done, so I am supporting Democratic candidates for the midterm election, because that is ultimately my goal. I will, of course, always give my legislators a piece of my mind when they do things that I disagree with, but it won't make me toss away my vote if I believe that they are the best realistic choice that I have.

Nick Yoho 8 years, 1 month ago

Moore just lost my vote as well. VOTE THEM ALL OUT people.Even if he loses,we can vote in a NEW Dem. next time.Moores rival can't do much ,being the new kid on the block anyway.

Democracy ended when the Surpreme court gave Buch the Presidency.

verity 8 years, 2 months ago

staff04

Thank you for your thoughtful and respectful answer. Mostly I agree with you, and perhaps I am being hypocritical about not voting for Moore, as I have little doubt that he will win the election and if it looks close, I may change my mind.

It's just that this particular vote is too much for me to swallow and I feel the need to do something to voice my disappointment and frustration. I have very strong feelings that torture is always wrong and counterproductive---and would be wrong, even if not counterproductive---and I am so very disappointed that my country is going down the path to legalizing it.

Centrist 8 years, 2 months ago

If the Republican voted against it, is that a sign that the GOP candidate is desperate for moderate (anti Bush) voters?

If the Democrat voted for it, is that a sign that the Dem candidate is desperate for moderate (anti Dems) voters?

Hmm .... read deeper, people.

Politics at work.

verity 8 years, 1 month ago

holygrailale

You give me credit for being more poetic that I actually was. Gave me a good laugh, which I really needed this morning now that the Senate has also passed the bill.

You and Staff04 are very persuasive. I will have to rethink my vote.

Here is the letter I will be sending to all my congress people.

RE: The Military Commissions Act of 2006

Senator Pat Roberts 109 Hart Senate Office Building Washington, DC 20510-1605

Senator Sam Brownback 303 Hart Senate Office Building Washington, DC 20510-1605

Representative Dennis Moore 1727 Longworth House Office Building Washington, DC 20515

Dear Sirs:

I don't know where to begin. I am very sad that my country would pass this bill into law. I am also angry and frustrated that our congress will not stand up to this president and administration.

This law is immoral, counterproductive, unconstitutional and certainly unchristian. When has the kind of treatment made "lawful" in this bill ever produced anything good? And even if it has, it would still be immoral.

This bill will only help the terrorists and harm our country.

You have allowed this president and his administration to take away our precious freedoms and have not made us safer.

Whatever happened to the Geneva Conventions? What happened to liberty and justice for all? What happened to innocent until proven guilty? It is idiotic to excuse our actions by saying the so-called enemy combatants we hold in prisons are "bad people". We don't know who they are or what they might have done or not done.

We have been proud to be a beacon of freedom to the world-now we can torture and withhold basic human rights at the whim of the president?

I am so appalled that we have come to this. I am very afraid for the future of our country, not because of the terrorists, but because of what we are doing to ourselves.

Will my government be coming for me next?

staff04 8 years, 2 months ago

Jerry Moran in trouble? Did anyone else even put their name on the list? He won in 2004 with 91% of the vote, I doubt he is "desperate" for much of anything.

As I stated earlier, I am supporting Democratic candidates in my area, but I have a lot of respect for Jerry Moran. He is not afraid to buck the party and do what he believes is best for the people of his district. Takes some real stones to do that--something the other two Republican reps from Kansas appear to lack.

penguin 8 years, 1 month ago

Moran has routinely voted against the Republican Party on any number of issues No Child Left Behind (which Moore voted for), Medicare Part D in its original form, etc. He has also drawn the ire of the party. I remember something about most of the House Leadership wanting him out. He votes his way and well if you look at his opposition during elections...well its not much to speak of and he is overall just a decent guy.