LJWorld.com weblogs Congressional Briefing

Brownback: Cut Iraq apart, but don't cut and run

Here are today's headlines from the Kansas congressional delegation:Sen. Sam Brownback (R) ![][1][(The Hill) Lawmakers warm to plan for divided Iraq:][2] As more Republicans join Democrats in pushing for a change of strategy in Iraq, lawmakers and candidates are signaling new openness to dividing the war-torn nation into three autonomous regions, a plan closely associated with Sen. Joe Biden (D-Del.). ... Republicans are also beginning to echo Biden's suggestions in the politically pressurized pre-election environment, whether to praise the plan or simply urge that it remain "on the table." This puts GOP lawmakers at odds with the president, who has ruled out any regionalizing of Iraq. "I think this idea of maybe the three autonomous regions within one country may be the one that we start to move more and more towards," Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) said during an appearance last week on CNBC. Brownback used the former nation of Yugoslavia, which was regionally divided by the 1990s Balkan war, as an example of the strategy's potential.[(Evansville Courier & Press) Brownback lends support to Sodrel:][3] Rep. Mike Sodrel's campaign event was supposed to be about social issues such as abortion and same-sex marriage. His guest, Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, told the dozen people at Jasper's train depot: "The reason I'm here is who runs the Congress may be decided by Indiana." But Brownback and Sodrel ended up talking Monday night more about the war in Iraq than family values. Brownback agreed with voters who say how upset they are with the war. "I'm not happy with how this is going in Iraq," he said. But he added that Democrats would have a cut-and-run strategy that would embolden "Islamic fascists." "We took the fight to them," Brownback said, and that's why we haven't had any terrorist attacks in the United States in five years.[(Grand Rapids Press) Senator hits back on judges:][4] One of three nominations, that of Michigan Court of Appeals Judge Janet Neff of East Grand Rapids, is on hold. U.S. Sen. Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, halted her nomination after he learned Neff spoke four years ago at the commitment ceremony of a lesbian couple. Bush nominated Neff along with attorney Robert Jonker of East Grand Rapids and Paul Maloney of Berrien County to serve in the U.S. District Court in West Michigan. In the compromise to clear a logjam of judicial nominations, Stabenow and Sen. Carl Levin, D-Detroit, insisted on including Neff with the other two. All three had moved out of the Senate Judiciary Committee and were on their way to the full Senate before Brownback held up Neff. Tuesday, Stabenow, D-Lansing, said if Neff's candidacy is scotched, the other nominations will be, too. "It's a package," she said in a meeting with The Press editorial board. [1]: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/fr/thumb/c/c8/Sam_Brownback.jpg/150px-Sam_Brownback.jpg [2]: http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/102506/iraq.html [3]: http://www.courierpress.com/news/2006/oct/25/brownback-lends-support-to-sodrel/ [4]: http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-32/1161787837314440.xml&coll=6

Comments

Pug 8 years, 5 months ago

Universe, you my friend are a raging idiot. I too am a republican. Does that mean I have to eat whatever Bush and Limbaugh feed me? I think not.

If hippies care about the troops, they'll support what our troops are doing. That is essentially what you said, right? It is moronic to think that you can be against the war and not support the troops. Most of them joined the military to better their lives, not to be used as random clay pigeons for IEDs in a war that in the end has only made the world more chaotic. More than 2,800 of our men and women have died because of the Bush administration's unilateral and misdirected foreign policy, the president's dogged support by apparatchiks like Kansas' beloved Pat Roberts and the other Republicans and Democrats who were too pusillanimous to voice dissent for fear of losing their cushy seat in Congress and being labeled a coward.

Yes, the WTC was attacked while Clinton was president. Yes, Clinton did weaken our intelligence-gathering abilities. Yes, he did not pursue Osama. Yes, he did not fully pursue the Khobar Towers and other terrorist attacks. The attack on the WTC in 1993 certainly was a portent of future events. But in no way did it justify an invasion of Iraq and in no way did 9-11 justify an invasion of Iraq. The United States was correct in it's invasion of Afghanistan, but we have let that slip ever more back into the hands of the dreaded Taliban because we took away needed resources to inexplicably commit troops to Iraq.

In addition, what has Bush done to capture Osama? Not much. You also claim that the Iraq war has kept another terrorist attack from happening on American soil. That is a horrible argument. What about the attacks in London, Spain and elsewhere. The reason there have been no attacks on U.S. soil is that it's damn hard to attack our country. 9-11 happened because some bad guys got very lucky. It will happen again. Even the Bushies tell you it will happen again. The reason that no more attacks have happened is not because of the Iraq war, but because of better Intelligence gathering and luck.

There is no evidence that Hussein had ties to al-Qaeda. That dude had his little piece of the world and he was fine with that. Sure, he invaded Kuwait, but do you even know why? We supported Hussein throughout the 1980s in Iraq's war with Iran. But early into 41's presidency, the U.S. diplomat to Iraq was posed a question by Hussein, "How would the United States react to an invasion of Kuwait by Iraq." Her response, thinking that it was purly hypothetical, was dismissive of any reaction on the part our country. So after that, a guy we supported became our number one enemy.

Kontum1972 8 years, 5 months ago

brownback..LoL....what branch of the service was he in? another backseat military expert....gawd...! BTW Sam...they kicked our asses this month...70+ dead and how many wounded.....

whats this "WE" crap...!

they dont need to attack us again....we are self destructing on our own.....

Pug 8 years, 5 months ago

On to Michael J. Fox. The dude has Parkinson's. Have you ever seen somebody afflicted with Parkinson's? It ain't pretty, you troglodyte. I imagine that you will take what Limbaugh said as gospel: wait, did I just blaspheme there? I'm sorry. Anyway, I digress. Limbaugh later in the radio cast apologized for his comments because he was misinformed. But you evidently chose not to listen to that part of his commentary. In addition, the spastic shakes Marty McFly gets are a result of the medicine he takes, according to numerous doctors out there who I am quite sure know more than you or me about the matter.

Ok, I'll give you the tax cut spiel. I believe in lower taxes. That's why I'm a republican, not because I believe in the divine right of the United States to impose democracy on nations and tribes that have no desire or comprehension of that ideology.

You also say Kerry waffled on issues. I hate Kerry. I think he would be a horrible president, but name one politician that hasn't flip-flopped. Except for Roberts because he is a poor leader and worse man who can't flip flop, because he only comes out in support of issues that are politically fail-safe. Bush on the other hand just flip-flopped the other day. All along it has been, "Stay the course." He has now decided it's not "Stay the course."

You are also right that Katrina is irrelevant to this meme.

Pug 8 years, 5 months ago

Universe, i misspoke. you are not a raging idiot nor a trog. I, however, urge you to step away from the Bush administration's filtered lense and realize that more harm than good will come of our imperial quest to democratize the world. There are areas where democracy is not wanted nor needed. It is not the right of America to dictate the governments of the world. The only way I could support another war like Iraq is if we do it right: Supply the proper number of occupying troops (there were 500,000 U.S. soldiers on the ground in post-WWII Germany); and treat those who we conquer as the Romans treated the Caledonians.

ksmoderate 8 years, 5 months ago

I don't judge christians as all bad folks. I know a lot of good ones.

I do, however, freely judge homophobes as diseases on our society.

And I am not a hippy.

Cait McKnelly 8 years, 5 months ago

Somebody needs to tell Brownnose...err Brownback that the day of the religious right is waning. Moderate Republicans are jumping ship right and left. They simply can't stomach anymore of it. I wonder how he feels about Cheney's daughter? And if he has the sack to say it to Cheney's face :D And oh yes, just what WAS Brownies working relationship with Foley? Jim Ryun was so anxious to distance himself from Foley he claimed he didn't even KNOW the man...despite the fact that he lived across the street!

And yeah Universe, it's funny that the same religion that preaches "tolerance" is the same one that blows up women's clicnics, kills doctors, blocks stemcell research that could save hundreds of thousands of lives and has no problem whatsoever sitting in judgement on people when their own Christ told them not to.

Universe 8 years, 5 months ago

What branch of service was Clinton in? Oh I remember, it was the French foreign legion! And if memory serves the WTC got hit back in the 90's on 'whos watch'??

Reality is soo inconvenient, huh.

If hippies truly 'care' about the troops they'll support what they're doing instead of touting the losses. And if they're 'kicking our asses' I wonder why haven't we been hit again? Hmm...

ksmoderate 8 years, 5 months ago

What is definitely worse about this article is Slick Sammy B.'s blocking of a judicial appointee based solely on Sam's homophobia.

But I'm sure that makes all the bible-thumpers happy!

Universe 8 years, 5 months ago

There are no true 'Christians' who believe in your gay marriage agenda. And for that matter, Islam is extremely against it as well. Yet liberals mussent 'offend' those people by using the terms Islamic fascists, bible-thumpers or homophobes when addressing them.

So, tell me - whats the difference? Most 'religions' ban all forms of homosexual lifestyles. Here's the hole in your little judgements; are we ALL homophobes? Or is that just put on Christianity?

Cait McKnelly 8 years, 5 months ago

Universe:

1. The WTC went up on BUSH's watch while he was reading to a classroom full of primary school children.
  2. I care about the troops. I care that they are DIEING. I care that they don't have BODY ARMOR to stay alive because Congress is so concerned about tax cuts for their corporate buddies they can't afford to dress the troops. Do you have a son or daughter in the military? Maybe it will be their turn next to come home in a body bag.
  3. Actually we WERE hit again...just not by Al Qaeda. Think Hurricane Katrina and the godawful mess FEMA made of that.

Yeah I guess reality is just too inconvenient to contemplate.

Universe 8 years, 5 months ago

Now that's funny... The hippy folks who judge a president (and all 'bible-thumpers') for merely being a Christian are the same people who preach tolerance.

Universe 8 years, 5 months ago

cait48:

1. So, even though the WTC didn't actual 'fall' on Clintons watch it never happened, eh? Were there any US embassies hit in the 90's? Hmm. Since you know where Bush was, where exactly was Clinton when all that happened? Maybe hunting Bin Laden? Sure, whatever you say..

2. Sure, why not keep telling youself you care. You know I believe it was John Kerry who voted 'against' the arming of our troops, no? You remember your wonderful flip-flopping candidate who voted for the use of force before he voted against it, right?

2b. Ahhh, the tax cuts for the rich jibberish again... Ok. If you earned money, you kept more of it 'because' of the cut in taxes. Ergo, the economy is doing great! The NYSE topped out at over 12K (which never happened in history). Wow, now that's a sign of recession isn't it? lol

Now; you didn't get 'as much' back as Bill Gates because YOU DONT HAVE THE NET WORTH OF BILL GATES! And furthermore, you might be a little less harsh on 'the corporations'. Last I heard the rich evil corporations provide jobs. If I had a son or daughter in the military I would be proud of them, not treat them like that of the Viet-nam war. Those people claimed to be 'supportive' the troops too. IE, John Kerry...

1. Katrina is an irrelevant point. But then again you people are probably blaming Bush for that too, eh? lol And by the way FEMA was a Hilary Clinton pushed government agency.

I guess reality is just too inconvenient to contemplate...

Universe 8 years, 5 months ago

cait48: I wouldn't endorse 'any' violence in the name of religion. Including the liberals defense of Islam. But since you ranted about women's clinics and your 'true' love of human life I have a question; what happens at those clinics?

Stem cell research? lmao! You must have seen the Michael J. Fox commercial where he intentionally neglected his medication to endorse a liberal candidate. The truth is 'embryonic stem cells' hasn't cured squat - whereas adult cell studies has. Now I know we MUST destroy human life to save human life (figure that one out), right? Abortion is the 'only 'reason democrats wish to beat the dead horse of something soo rediculous.

Richard Heckler 8 years, 5 months ago

James Baker III is quite involved in the Iraq plan and never wants to leave Iraq yet his name does not surface. Is it a pretend game that he is not involved? Of course he has a lot at stake: http://www.hereinreality.com/carlyle.html

youngitized 8 years, 5 months ago

parkay and universe-great job in trying to demonize science. Embryonic stem cell research can be done without aborting the fetus. I'll just tell everyone that you don't support cures.

OnlyLawrenceRepublican 8 years, 5 months ago

Cait48, Don't you mean moderate republicans are jumping ship left....

If they are jumping ship right they'd be conservative.