LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

How will you remember Michael Jackson?

Wow. What a day. First Farrah Fawcett lost her battle with cancer. Something expected, but sad nonetheless. Now comes confirmed word that Michael Jackson, the King of Pop, has died as well, suffering cardiac arrest this afternoon in L.A at age 50.

If you've been living under a rock, Jackson was a superstar to end all superstars in the 1970s and 1980s, rising to fame at age 10 as the youngest member of the Jackson 5. By the 1990s and 2000s, he was deemed "Wacko Jacko" — both in a reference to his looks and strange behavior that resulted in a cloud of questions involving his relationships with young boys. In the past few years, his problematic finances and behavior with his own children added more questions and stories to the pot. Jackson was set to try to again make it all about the music, signing a deal for comeback concerts in England.

How will you remember Jackson? For the music, the controversies, the Moonwalk, dangling "Blanket" over a balcony, marrying Lisa Marie Presley, or something else?

Comments

jjt 5 years, 2 months ago

Watching MJ on Saturday morning TV with his bros, and then in the early eighties for his music, Killer in partic. Mind' he was a little weird. At the end of the day he bought pleasure to millions which is not a bad epitaph.

frankenstien 5 years, 2 months ago

I will remember him for the music I danced to as a teenage in the eighties. There may be other sides to his life but the music will live forever in my mind.

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

He made a few good songs; but was a peophile and a freak...............

50YearResident 5 years, 2 months ago

I am not a fan of Michael, I only remember his dark side. I have no remorse of his passing.

Russell Fryberger 5 years, 2 months ago

50 YearResident, that is how you do it when you don't like someone. Not all the snide remarks people make. Good job.

I love a lot of his music up until BAD, that's when he seems to have gone strange. We'll never really know the truth about the pedophile thing. I'll just remember the songs and let mother nature take care of the rest. RIP Micheal.

Melanie Birge 5 years, 2 months ago

RIP All that died latley! Bless you Michael!!!

sandrat 5 years, 2 months ago

The moonwalk... seriously. In 1983, I was eleven and for just a moment, I thought magic really existed. Spent a good portion of time trying to figure it out, but never could get it. Then started listening to heavy metal and forgot all about the King of Pop.... until all the pedophile stuff started happening.

Maybe he was railroaded by people who wanted to steal his money, or maybe he was a scum ball who took advantage of little children. Not for me to say. He was certainly weird, but Thriller was a great album.

Lee Eldridge 5 years, 2 months ago

Maybe it's because I tend to be an optimist and an upbeat person, but I'll remember the great music much more than I'll remember his personal problems. Not that I'll forgive him for his behavior towards children.Just that I'll still listen to his music.

denak 5 years, 2 months ago

I will remember him for creating three of t.v. defining moments....at least for my generation.

I will remember the Motown Anniversary show were he debuted the moonwalk. I remember freaking out when he started his solo after singing with his brothers.

He will be remembered as the first African American on Mtv and of course, third, for Thriller, the video. What a masterpiece that was!

Dena

Trouble 5 years, 2 months ago

I beleive Michael Jackson had a very hard life. He was in the public eye at the age of 6. No one can know what kind of life this man had or didn't have. I don't know if he did what he was accused of but... he was a big part of peoples lives though his songs. Black and White was my favorite. Its sad! He was a once in a life time artiest!

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 2 months ago

How will I remember Michael Jackson? The great parodies Weird Al did.

RoeDapple 5 years, 2 months ago

Sorry, it was just so there to say. I will remember him best as a member of the Jackson Five

swampyankee 5 years, 2 months ago

He was so talented that he became a pedophile how weird

Leslie Swearingen 5 years, 2 months ago

Lee Thomas an anchorman for a Detroit TV station has vitiligo, a disorder in which pigment-making cells are destroyed. White patches appear on different parts of the body, tissues in the mouth and nose, and the retina. "There is no cause. There is no cure, and it's very random," Thomas says. "I could turn all the way white or mostly white. Few people, outside medical professionals and those with the disease, had heard the term "vitiligo" until Michael Jackson revealed in the early 1990s that the disorder was behind his skin turning brown to white.

Try to imagine what it must have been like for Jackson to have an illness and have no understanding but for people to think he wanted to be white and so had his skin altered. Maybe that is why some give up and think, well, I might as well be bad if that is all people are going to see. I suggest we focus on what good he did and let God worry about the rest.

yankeevet 5 years, 2 months ago

Irish.........guy;

Jackson had no skin disease; he wanted too be white..........and became a pedophile......good riddance....

Janet Lowther 5 years, 2 months ago

Now, I have always pretty much ignored pop music, but even at that I recognized some of the song excerpts they played with the news of death.

Sometimes I wonder what we would see if his medical history became public. Would it come out that he took anti-puberty drugs to keep his voice from changing until his body was past the point where he could undergo a normal male puberty? That would explain a good bit of his physical strangeness. . . Those drugs may be a great boon to transgendered youth, but he apparently wasn't.

A lot, if not most of the song excerpts they played yesterday sounded like they could have been sung by a woman. . .