LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

Goodbye, Farrah

Farrah Fawcett, 62, she of the enviable hair and spirit, died this morning after a long cancer battle.

Forever burned into our minds in a red bikini and floppy hair, she may have turned in her best work well after Charlie's Angels: In her documentary "Farrah's Story" about her fight against cancer that aired on NBC earlier this year. There, she put on a brave face and showed outsiders what cancer is like, even if you happen to be rich and famous.

Her death comes on the heels of the passing of Ed McMahon, who died Tuesday at age 86. What a sad week for Hollywood, the stars' families and those of us who have enjoyed their work...

What are your fondest memories of Farrah and/or Ed?

Comments

RoeDapple 6 years ago

Have a dear friend who could have won a Farrah look-a-like contest 40 years ago. Seen her send many a man to the chiropractor with a kinked neck that turned too quick for a second look. Used to call her Sarah/Farrah....

Loved Farrah's smile and laugh, will miss her....

Leslie Swearingen 6 years ago

She was a year younger than me. I can see the sand running though the hourglass. Do you have trouble coming to terms with your mortality? I want to live each moment more fully when I read about death. But, It is hard to keep up that attitude. I really respect her because her motto was: don't let the bastards wear you down.

KansasPerson 6 years ago

I liked her because despite having been packaged as a "hair-and-nails" blonde pinup girl, she was able to later reinvent herself and prove herself as an above-average actor on the stage.

Shane Garrett 6 years ago

Farrah at thirty was a superstar who had at the time never starred in a movie, yet her poster sold over 5 million copies, an all-time record. So add her to the list of names of Garbo, Harlow, and Monroe. Miss your smile Farrah.

RoeDapple 6 years ago

Sarah, they say tragedies come in threes. If You are a fan (I am not) Michael Jackson suffered a heart attack today;

Sarah Henning 6 years ago

Roe, I know! Anxiously awaiting word. I really don't want to write about another celeb dying today! Yikes!

Mixolydian 6 years ago

Let's observe a moment of silence for Farah Fawcett.

OK

Now an awkward moment of silence for David Carradine.

jaywalker 6 years ago

I almost posted on this thread a few hours ago that celebrity deaths supposedly come in threes and was wondering who the third would be. Never would have guessed Michael Jackson.

Dayle Hodges 6 years ago

I respected Farrah for becoming a serious actress. She was wonderful in "The Burning Bed" and "Small Sacrifces".

RoeDapple 6 years ago

LA Times now reporting Michael Jackson is dead........

Sarah Henning 6 years ago

OK, now we've got a blog about Michael Jackson dying: http://bit.ly/NrCXi

Please let those three be it for the week!

schula 6 years ago

Since celebs always die in threes, I thought the third one would be Walter Cronkite, as I had heard he is near death. Never imagined it would be Michael Jackson. Not a fan of his, but sorry to hear he died.

passionatelibra 6 years ago

I am sad to see that M.J.'s death seems to have overshadowed Farrah Fawcett's death in the media. All day yesterday I saw a ton of Ed McMahon tributes. So far tonight everything is about M.J. I hope they give her a proper farewell.

I remember watching her in the Burning Bed and Small Sacrifices. I am still in awe over her ability to play those roles so convincingly without losing herself to them. At least I don't remember reading anything about her doing that. She was an unbelievable actress.

R.I.P. Ms. Fawcett

passionatelibra 6 years ago

Dateline is doing a beautiful tribute.