LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

Project Runway Season 5, Episode 9 - Astrological avant-garde

A few lessons wannabe reality TV stars can learn from Wednesday night's episode of Project Runway:When a top American designer compares your outfit to fecal waste, you know you're on the outs. And when the judges think you can't play well with others in a business that demands that you work with others, you also know you can't be long for the reality TV world.OK, note to self, right? Or were those things given all along?Apparently the designers who got the boot didn't think so - both were flabbergasted, even though it was clear they should be the ones to go home.![][1]The challenge was one that could make both the competitors and the viewers cringe. The task? Create something avant-garde based on an astrological sign. The designers were paired up randomly with designers who had previously gotten the boot.The pairing of the scorned with still-in-it competitors creates quite a bit of built-in tension, but when Bravo added in the mix of creating a complex avant-garde look and the fact that two designers, not just one, would be eliminated - man, now that's drama. And of course if that weren't enough, then the show decided to steal four hours from the contestants by making them debut their outfits at an 8 p.m. party at a New York planetarium, rather than getting to work until midnight. At said party, the designers were going to be judged by past contestants - most notably first-season winner Jay and last-season winner Christian - to decide who would win the challenge. Wow, Bravo knows how to pile it on.Our lucky losers, Blayne and Terri, were each paired with the last two designers to go - Blayne with Stella, and Terri with Keith. Blayne and Stella do like each other and could work well together, which was kind of cute in a May-December kind of punk-rock way. And though we can't blame Terri for not wanting to work with the still-raw Keith, she didn't even try. She didn't utilize him, didn't take him seriously and didn't take into account that - duh - if the judges even smelled a hint of a bad working relationship, it wouldn't look so good for her. Hadn't she watched this show before?![][2]And here I thought maybe she had watched the show and learned something because right after every competitor called her out as a one-trick pony for making just pants-and-vests combos, she decided it was time to make a dress. Too bad she topped it off with sleeves that looked like the inflamed hineys of baboons. And I don't care that last year's winner, Christian, told her he didn't like her initial furry shawl thing. It's your design, lady.Then there was Blayne, who had been skating along despite not seeming to have talent for anything other than annoying catch phrases. Finally, someone noticed and he was sent back to the tanning booth from which he came. Now he can stop complaining about being pale and go back and bronze up before his appearance at the finale at Bryant Park. His offense? A completely hideous outfit that wasn't avant-garde as much as it was just plain wrong. Blayne's outfit did make the model look like she was "pooping fabric" as Michael Kors so giddily pointed out. It's true. She did look like someone escaping the circus clad in nothing but her long underwear, belts and half-digested balloons.Not pretty any way around on either end. And so we say good-bye to sour-puss Terri and "girlicious" Blayne.A few random thoughts: - We almost got through an episode without Suede talking about himself in the third-person. Unfortunately, he did it in front of the judges. Bad move, Sarah says, bad move! - If those past competitors were successful after Project Runway, wouldn't they have something better to do than hang out with their former show? Or does everybody just like free bubbly at the planetarium? - Think Keith went back to Utah feeling good about helping Terri get the boot or do you think it made him feel more sad? - Was Jerell's design really worthy of being the winner? It had that dressed-in-the-dark look about it of Suede's outfit from last week. ... Joe's was much better. - Will there be a Leanne and Kenley smackdown at some point? [1]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/09/11/Picture_2.png [2]: http://worldonline.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/photos/2008/09/11/Picture_1.png

Comments

supercowbellninja 6 years, 3 months ago

Wow, was Kenley ever annoying last night, though I am glad she didn't get cut!

blakus 6 years, 3 months ago

Kenley, Kenley, Kenley! She has cut off Heidi way too many times during critiques! Who cuts off the sexiest host on TV? She should listen more and defend herself less (if you can call what she blurts out a defense)... and the outfit she made was so Mickey Mouse; I would rather wear and/or look at cloth 'poop' than Mickey Mouse ear shoulders.My final 3: Joe, Leann, Korto (spelling?), [Jerrell (if they do the four finalist thing)]

bwilson 6 years, 3 months ago

Well. That was ... huh.So many people took their Bitch Pills, but didn't make it entertaining to go along with it. (OK, Kors did.)Terri's was costume-y and literal, but I would have kept it over either of the other two bottom-feeders. It was amusing that Kenley's defensiveness over not even glancing at other designers' work came right after she was all a'flutter over DVF. (And yes, Kenley, we remember your Balenciaga dress from before.)I was not feeling Keith's tragedy. Stella, on the other hand, had a great attitude.I liked Joe's out of all of them (Tim says in his blog that Daniel took charge there. Huh. A bit late, there, dude.), but I thought Leanne was going to take it again. Minus the jacket and the thing on her head I liked Jerrell's well enough.Robert from season 1 must have been in heaven being right in the middle of a conversation about breasts and where they go.

ilovelucy 6 years, 3 months ago

baboon's hiney's. That's funny!I can't (for the life of me) believe that Kenley thought her outfit was a decent one? I kept thinking of a costume out of Alice in Wonderland. If she keeps this up, she'll be gone.However, Leann's eye rolling technique needs to stop too. I believe in her talent and just wish she would do something to herself as well.Sarah, it's Keith, not Kevin.

Sarah Henning 6 years, 3 months ago

Thanks, Lucy. Guess I hated that guy so much, I forgot his name. It's fixed and better now:)

akt2 6 years, 3 months ago

I liked Joe's design the best too. Jerrell's was okay. I think that the blend of all the trim, different fabrics and patterns is why he won. It was fairly complicated in that respect. I think Leanne is going to win though. She has a good eye for color, is a decent designer and her application is flawless. Kenley is a brat. Has she even won a challenge? I can't remember.

casbakee 6 years, 3 months ago

this group of designers all hate one another -- past seasons they were competive but you got the sense everyone still got along -- or only one person was an outcast -- but ive dont think i have ever heard so much trash talkthe one person cheated so far was the blonde witht he tats who went home before danile -- i dont think she was a finalist but better than the people who have gone home so farleann has done some of the same design even though her work is flawless and joe (aka pasta man) sometimes is literal with his designs -- but i do like his workblane was different and unique - i was sad to see him go but i can't picture him doing a collection.poor kenly -- i dont know what color the sky is in her world but its going to be a hard smack of reality whens heidi gives her the "aufetizine" and kiss good buy!finaly four --- joe, leann, korto, and jerrell

Anakim 6 years, 3 months ago

Just browsing and I see the bovine chose a tragic day in our nation's history--Sept11--to ignite a conversation with such prose as: "Wow, was Kenley ever annoying last night, though I am glad she didn't get cut!" It is recognized that TV continues its dribble and drone because schedules are schedules. But did the bovine not see any more relevant remark on any more significant article that ran in the newspaper. There is misery in this country right now and the flightiness of some commentators continues to amaze. We should not emulate the monikers we assume.

supercowbellninja 6 years, 3 months ago

Just browsing, huh? Your comment history says otherwise as does the datestamp, which I believe was a point of contention you had with me way back when you were pathetically defending Ms. Black's drivel.I wonder why she's no longer writing for the paper? Methinks I was on to something and others seemed to agree. By all means, please keep coming back and commenting on these threads. I've missed our little verbal wars and thought you just quit.....funny how you disappeared around the same time Ms. Black's columns did.....Anyways, if you want to continue to take time out of your "busy" schedule to chastise me for commenting on an Entertainment blog, then go nuts. It hardly seems comparable to Ms. Black's attempts as she always took herself too seriously and tended to gloss over those oh-so pesky facts that got in the way of her first person narratives down memory lane.Have I mentioned how glad I am that her column has disappeared? I look forward to your weak attempts at "clever" cow-related puns and the like. As for Project Runway, they eliminated the right person in this Sept. 11 episode. No one wears tissue paper down one leg with leather. Just ridiculous.As for the latest, I cannot believe that Suede survived after that mess of an outfit.