LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

Project Runway Season 5, Episode 14 - Finale part 2

After 14 episodes and several more auf wiedersehens we finally have a victor in this, the most boring of Project Runway seasons.Leanne, the queen of dorky coolness and structured-yet-fluid clothes beat out Korto and Kenley for the title, becoming the show's second female winner.![][1]And though it seemed last week when previewing the collections that she was a shoe-in, the finale was not without it's characteristic drama. But it wasn't near the drama that could be seen in past seasons. For sure.First up, instead of having to make an extra look, as in seasons past, the designers had to instead, throw out two looks. Which, apparently isn't easy. I don't know about that one.In any case, the most added "drama" in the entire episode was when a model's yippy little dog pooped near one of Leanne's dresses. Now give me poop on a dress, and I'll call that drama. And a fireable offense for a glorified clotheshanger. In fact, I had to inject my own drama into it by flipping between the finale and the presidential debate, which clearly had a monopoly on last night's dramarama market.![][2]Yeah, so that was it. No final showdown. Tears of last-minute stress. No nada.In fact the defining moment for me was actually the greasy definition of Leanne's long bangs, which was more distracting and memorable than any of the judge's comments.And sadly, those bangs could also be a metaphor for this season: long, limp and in need of a makeover. Lifetime, here we come ... if Bravo lets us.Final thoughts: - Can't my fierce little Christian just be the winner again? Ugh. - Korto's collection really looked great on the models. Much better than I expected after seeing it last week - and she probably should have won. - Why would Kenley want to show up on the biggest day of her life with a plant on her head? Didn't she learn anything from Jerell's plant-head mistake during the wedding dress challenge? - Man, I hope that the upcoming season of Top Chef doesn't suffer from the clear-cut lameness with which Project Runway was infected. [1]: http://worldonline.media.clients.elli... [2]: http://worldonline.media.clients.elli...

Comments

ilovelucy 5 years, 6 months ago

Bottom line, however, boring, boring, boring. The entire season was boring. Let's hope that when the lawsuits are over and another season airs, the contestants will have something fun to offer and not to try to just be Christian wannabe's.

blakus 5 years, 6 months ago

I guess Kenley should have read up on current fashion trends... because she has been called out on creating similar pieces to other designers a couple of times. I thought it was a toss up between Korto and Leanne, but Leanne's line seemed to be a little more fresh and cohesive, though Korto's line was a tad more sophisticated. Leanne's show was something I havn't seen in past seasons so that was refreshing. And yes, this season was boring... which is surprising because it had the most trash-talk of any of the seasons.

akt2 5 years, 6 months ago

I think that Leanne won because of the degree of execution that she showed in her designs. Nina and Michael both agreed that it was flawless. And she did everything. Pants, shorts, a jacket, skirts, blouses and dresses. I thought that Korto and Kenley actually did a very good job too. As for Kenley's hand painted silk, so what if some other designer has done painted fabric. It is an artistic expression and no one should have the market cornered. Korto will do well for herself even though she did not win. A normal woman would feel good about wearing one of her dresses. I agree that it was a boring season. It is still a cool concept.

Kookamooka 5 years, 6 months ago

Oh man. I gotta tell you. Korto's collection was to die for. Her use of color was magnificent. I hope this isn't an omen that the world still isn't ready for a black winner. Runway had a historic opportunity and I think they kind of blew it. The judges mentioned Leanne's limited vision as a weakness and hoped she would evolve. The only problem with Korto is she overworked. Isn't it easier to edit down than build up? AND her remaking her wedding dress and another dress hours before the show was an example of her being able to learn from her mistakes and turn on a dime. Kenley? God love her. She just needs to enroll in fashion history 101 and pay attention to what other designers are doing. Her sensibilities are on target but she's just 1/2 step behind.

supercowbellninja 5 years, 6 months ago

The daughter of the tugboat captain should have won.

jamiemorris265 5 years, 6 months ago

I thought Leanne's final collection was great, but when you look at the season as a whole, Korto definately deserved to win.

mom_of_three 5 years, 6 months ago

I didn't particularly like Leanne's collection, because it looked like it was made for tall, skinny people, and I hate the petals/pleats/waves. it looked good on one dress, but on all of them - come on. I liked Korto's looks, because they weren't for tall skinny people. But yes, this was a boring season. In the past seasons, my favorites were Kara Saun, Daniel, Michael/Laura/Uley, and Jillian. Guess I am a little more on the conservative side.