LJWorld.com weblogs Culture Crumbs

Project Runway Season 5, Episode 3 - Nightlife

After last week's eco-friendly challenge, I expected the contestants on Project Runway to be forced to use thrift-store clothes, or recycled Coke bottles, to make this week's clothes, just to keep the eco-chic theme going.What do the producers do? Load the contestants on an empty, gas-guzzling double-decker bus for a ride around Manhattan. Of course. Not something that is exactly eco-friendly, unless you're comparing it with giving each of them their own individual Hummer limo to tootle around in.Anyway, the contestants were bused off for an hour-long photographing excursion. After an hour, each would hopefully have a photo that is inspiring enough to serve as the basis for their next challenge.Like other photo-taking excursions before, most everyone tried to do long exposures of blurred, streaky light or get something dirty (stickers, sewage, graffiti) and make it pretty. Why can't they just go for something that's pretty already? Why the need to be abstract? Isn't taking something from a photograph and translating it into an outfit already abstract enough?Though, of course, there were some who weren't abstract at all. The annoying rocker chick Stella picked a blinder off a horse, all leather and studs (shocking! and fitting because she IS a one-trick pony of pieced-together cowhide). The spray-orange surfer dude, Blayne, who thankfully didn't say "girlicious" in this episode, picked neon colors. And Korto, who has already done a kimono, picked a photo that allowed her to do a flowing jumpsuit.Keith, who up until this point had had little screen time, was all over the place in this episode - a sure sign of impending doom. We heard all about his life as a gay man in Salt Lake City and about how he really thinks he has the chops to win. In a push to prove to us that he not only deserves air time, but also a spot in the top three, he decided to go the artsy-fartsy route of making distressed into well-dressed. He picked a photo of a dirty, water-slicked magazine page as his muse.Yeah, that's going to be pretty.Not.The judges ended up calling his creation, "toilet paper caught in a wind storm" and it can't be described better. Yet, amazingly, that was only good enough to get him into the bottom three. You'd think a bad dress and his life story would be the kiss of death, but apparently the folks at Bravo are messing with us.Instead, the cute Emily and the dowdy Jennifer were in the bottom two. Emily for her black dress with an ill-placed neon ruffle and Jennifer for her yawn-worthy midnight blue dress that looked like it could have appeared on stage in some high school production of any of Shakespeare's plays. Really, any one of them.In the season's first real shocker, the judges sent Emily packing, leaving Jennifer to bore us for another day. Really, what else bothered them about Emily to send her home over boring and toilet paper? Her dress wasn't THAT bad.The winner turned out to be the adorable Kenley, who managed to make a South Florida retiree print into genius. She beat out Leanne's "impeccable" skirt and blouse combo (she really did a 180 after being in the bottom two last week) and Terri and her "fierce" dress and pants combo. And though I really like Kenley, I do believe Terri's outfit was the most "New York" of all the outfits.But what do I know? I thought toilet paper should have lost.Who did you want to see come out on top or go home?

Comments

Tim vonHolten 6 years, 4 months ago

blayne did call tim gunn "tim-licious" when he walked in the door. that kid clearly spent the time after he got accepted to try to come up with this season's "tranny hot mess." and failed.another notable occurrence was the first appearance of jennifer and leanne on screen at the same time, proving that they're not the same person.okay, so i'm not convinced that i can go on watching this show after last night. terri's dress/pants combo was so clearly the winner, and kenley's so clearly not. i agree that the toilet paper dress should have gone, but kenley's poofy shakespearean sleeve short leg thing was atrocious. and the ace frehley sleeves? holy crap! the whole thing was an abortion. even the misguided ruffles on emily's dress didn't come close to it in ugliness. at least it worked as a dress. jerell, korto, leanne, and terri's outfits were all better than kenley's, and blayne, daniel, jennifer, keith, kelli, stella, and suede's outfits were worse than emily's.i need a new hobby.

akt2 6 years, 4 months ago

The designers don't seem as talented as usual. I haven't seen any stand outs yet. Their personalities are a little bland also. No one seems to be that competitive. It's like they are just going thru the motions and are just there. I want to see some major designs and some drama!!

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 4 months ago

When I first laid eyes on Sandra Bernhart in the 1990's I thought, "Here is a woman who couldn't possibly be any uglier." And then I saw her on last night's show.

supercowbellninja 6 years, 4 months ago

supercowbellninja 6 years, 4 months ago

way too many attempts at lame catchphrases by some of the contestants this year. does not make for good tv.

Haiku_Cuckoo 6 years, 4 months ago

Christian really bothered me last year with his stupid catch-phrase. This year he has been replaced by the equally annoying Blaynelicious and I-refer-to-myself-as-Suede. I want to see more of the guy from Detroit. You know, the one who looks more like an auto mechanic than a clothing designer. His stuff actually looks pretty good and, most importantly, he isn't annoying.

ebyrdstarr 6 years, 4 months ago

I loved jerell's dress! Why didn't he get some love from the judges? I thought it looked like a ton of work and really well made for the short time allotted. I also loved Leanne's skirt. I would buy that skirt in a heartbeat.I'm sorry to say I'm in the minority on Terri's outfit. I just didn't care for it at all. Maybe it's my short woman bias as I would never be able to wear something like that, but I've never cared for the dress-pants combo. And I didn't think the cut of the dress was all that flattering.I'm really ok with Emily losing. It was such a literal and unimaginative interpretation of the picture. I thought it was very uninspired.

zissou 6 years, 4 months ago

Agreed, Haiku. They went from Natalie Portman to...Sandra Bernhart???She hasn't been culturally relevant since, well, ever. I must say, skeptical as I was, she was at least a more informative judge than Portman. Which is only saying that she had more insight than "It was neat".

bwilson 6 years, 4 months ago

Kenley's dress might have been all current and reminded the judges of the Balenciaga spring show, but ... eh. I'd have given either of the other two in the top the nod over her. Or even Joe. At least Terri didn't get passed over like last week.Someone should smack Suede, for his own good - he can be decent enough when he's not trying too hard for the cameras, I think. Blayne, though, would take more than a mere slap. There's just no redeeming him.

Anakim 6 years, 3 months ago

Certain comments are more than revealing about a person. For example this one: "It takes a real eye to find leather in the city, Stella. I hope every one of her outfits from here on out involve leather pants." I thought Lawrence would be spared such comments. TMI for sure.