Previous   Next

What have you collected for a scavenger hunt?

Asked at Hastings, 1900 W. 23rd St. on June 11, 2005

Browse the archives

“We collected information about KU, but unfortunately we didn’t win.”

“Old basketball cards and comic books when I was a little kid.”

“An old abandoned dryer for a Young Life scavenger hunt.”

“My teacher had us collect eggs. Each one had a clue to find the next one. We collected 30 and won.”

Related story

Comments

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

Extreme... that was awesome!

I can't believe I referenced that horrible Joe Pesci movie... I must have been really tired last night.

GreenEyedBlues 9 years, 6 months ago

I've collected human heads for a Mafioso initiation. I managed to find eight; luckily they all fit in a duffel bag.

Hong_Kong_Phooey 9 years, 6 months ago

God bless Lawrence - where freedom of speech is vehemently supported...unless, of course, somebody doesn't like what is said. They should get rid of the "suggest removal" button and instead list a website that teaches people how to get a thicker skin.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

TOB, to what "no good" are you up to already this morning? (Or did you do that to yourself?)

Fangorn wrote last night that he was feeling left out. (He's never been removed by the site staff.) Since it's against my beliefs to hit the "Suggest removal" button..could someone help him out here? I hate to see my fellow man suffer but I just can't pull the trigger. So please, for Fangorn, help stop his suffering. ; )

Scavenger hunt: Years ago, we had a beer hunt. Lot's of cheap canned beer was hidden outside (some of it booby-trapped to spew it's contents upon retrieval) and we had a couple dozen friends over to enjoy the fun. If I remember correctly, the next morning was not very fun at all. Oh, the joys of "young and stupid" days!

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

extreme_makeover: LOL!!

The_Original_Bob: Your post was indeed original.

sunflower_sue: Thanks, sister! I'm glad someone's looking out for me. :)

The Sopwith Snipe was also the best Allied fighter aircraft in WWI, essentially an improved version of the Sopwith Camel (flown by Snoopy!). Introduced very late in the war, it was outclassed only by the German Fokker D.VII. So, it's a bird! It's a plane! But a "snipe hunt" is a search for nothing inflicted on underclassmen and fraternity initiates.

I once did a scavenger hunt for sounds. Each team was armed with a portable tape recorder. We won because we tape a police officer saying "thank you". He pulled me over for having a tail light out, and we sneaked the recorder closer to him while we talked about my needed repair.

John Myers 9 years, 6 months ago

Okay, not exactly a scavenger hunt, but I've got a question for any long-time or native Lawrencians out there.

I had a strange, sensory recollection experience yesterday eating a Taco Bell Club Chalupa. My mind recalled the taste of a "pocket sandwich" type thing that was sold at a restaurant on 23rd street.

The location was where the University Bookstore is or was (not sure if it's still there). It was also a car dealership at one point. They had a bunch of video games, downstairs and up. This would have been early 80's, I think.

Can anyone out there help me remember the name of the restaurant??

I just can't pull it from the recesses of my brain.

~John Austin, TX

Jayhawk226 9 years, 6 months ago

I was beginning to think you were a dirty man one more bob...but now I see it's all about the intellect with you!

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

Heh everybody - did you see that, did you see Afleet Alex? Did you see that beautiful creature pull out in front. Was that not a beautiful sight? Is not the horse the most beautiful, the most graceful, the most elegant, the most dignified of all creation. I am pumped, but definitely pumped. I love horses and to see them run is the most thrilling thing. Anyone agree with me?

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

Never participated in a scavenger hunt.

ms_canada: I have always loved horses and horse races. Never been interested in betting, for me the thrill is in watching them run.

Fangorn: If ever the board needed a knight, it was yesterday. I would have been interested in your response to some of the posts.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

TOB: I communicate poorly today. I was actually not being snide. I was serious. extreme_makeover's post with multiple "comment removed" messages was obviously done by him and made as a reference to yesterday's mini-holocost. Yours was original in that it really looked like your comment had actually been deleted. sunflower_sue suspected but wasn't sure. Now if you could have italicized the text, it really would have looked genuine. But either way, I still thought it was original.

OMB: Nice website! I passed it on to a friend. He'll appreciate it, too.

Ceallach: I came to the discussion very late. So I have no idea why a broad swath of the conversation yesterday got nuked. I'll check my email and see if anything specific got said about it.

sunflower_sue 9 years, 6 months ago

ms_canada, not a fan of horse races but I do love the creatures. One of my most thrilling experiences was when I got to ride bareback. Now that was awesome!

when my oldest was 8 we went riding in deep snow in the mountains (on saddles). My daughter's horse stumbled and took a nosedive. My girl held on. I was so proud (and terrified). Horse got right back up w/ my girl still in the saddle. That was a great day!

ms_canada 9 years, 6 months ago

sunflower sue - sounds like you had a most wonderful adventure. When I was a wee lass in grade one, I rode a horse to school every day until one day she took off for some reason unbeknownst to man and I went flying. That, as far as my dad was concerned, was the end of my riding to school. But, as far as horse racing is concerned, it is not my favourite. Show jumping is the best. On the edge of the city of Calgary, (3hrs. south of Edmonton) there is a wonderful place called Spruce Meadows. The show jumpers come there from all over the world, so you may see the very best and beautiful horses. It is a full day of entertainment for $5.00. And not only the horses, there are musical performers, and great food and shopping for anyone who likes that sort of thing. And if one were to visit when the famous Calgary Stampede is on, you can get a double whammy of fun. We go as a family and the kids love it. Those show jumpers are the best!!!

Ceallach 9 years, 6 months ago

Fangorn: Let's just say the problem had nothing to do with tricks played on substitute teachers. Hopefully people can let it slide and not carry hard feelings to future boards. It is far too easy to get carried away when we operate anonymously.

I really enjoy reading the different takes that people have on a given topic. We all bring a different perspective to the board, filtered through our personal experiences and beliefs. There is seldom a day that I don't feel like I have either learned something new or gained insight as to why others feel as they do.

So long for now. Can't wait until tomorrow. I love Sondays.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

TOB: I wasn't offended or anything of the sort. I just didn't want to see what I meant for a compliment misunderstood as an insult or sarcasm. I laughed out loud when I realized your "deleted" comment wasn't real. And besides, even if I had meant to be sarcastic and your reply was accurate, it still wasn't nasty or cruel. You've never struck me as the type to be the "lowest common demoninator". You're here to discuss and have fun. Which we do! btw, thanks for your wish that I have a good evening. I did have a good evening with my family. You do the same.

Ceallach: I suppose I had assumed the deleted comments were bawdy in nature because of something said in one of the last posts before the "massacre". While that might have been crude, I'm sorry to hear that the posts got cruel and acrimonious instead. The vast majority of the people on this board are better than that. Strong emotions sometimes carry us down paths we wouldn't otherwise choose.

Fangorn 9 years, 6 months ago

TOB: I haven't seen it yet. We have a couple in our church from Rwanda. They first met fleeing across Zaire 10 years ago during all the violence. They walked all the way to the Congo. Octave has made some commentary on the conflict. I haven't talked with him yet about the movie. When I see it, I'll mention it on the board and perhaps we'd both be better off having someone with whom to talk about it. I've heard that it has a strong emotional impact on those who see it, and apparently you are no exception.