Gas leak in Eudora leads to temporary evacuation of several homes, officials say
A gas leak caused by a truck striking a gas meter led to the evacuation of an entire block on Saturday night in Eudora, according to the Eudora Fire Department.
At approximately 6:04 p.m., fire and EMS crews responded to a report that a Ford pickup truck had struck a gas meter on Elm Street between Sixth and Seventh streets, Eudora Assistant Fire Chief Nate Stoermer said in an email to the Journal-World. The gas meter was connected to a high-pressure line that emergency crews determined to have an active leak.
About 15 people in one block were evacuated “due to one house having high levels of gas,” Stoermer said. Atmos Energy spokesman Aaron Bishop later said in an email to the Journal-World that nine houses were affected.
The fire department and workers from Atmos turned off the supply to the leaking line, Stoermer said. He said the truck was safely removed from the meter, and no one was injured.
Bishop said the incident lasted for nearly three hours before residents were allowed to return to their homes.