Letter to the editor: How can we?
To the editor:
• How can we be a civilized, educated country, church-going, most of us believing in a forgiving, loving Jesus — and watch how, at our southern border, children of all ages are pried from the arms of their parents by uninformed Americans?
• How can we tolerate holding these crying children hostage in cages, waiting for Congress to make new laws that please our president?
• How could our president — father and grandfather himself — refuse to use his vast executive power to block immediately this immoral, inhumane activity against children and families?
• How can we learn in school about ‘outrageous’ Nazi atrocities — of prying children from their parents’ arms with fire hoses so they can send them each to different concentration camps — and accept what happens in Texas?
• How can we forget that the only reason Nazi Germany did this to innocent parents and children was racism?
• How can we forget that Israel’s eternal credo is “Never Forget”? What was it again, that we forgot to ‘never forget’?
• How can we remember the heroism of American troops liberating Europe, freeing death camp survivors and saving millions of citizens (including my own family), and watch as equal atrocities are now occurring in our own country?
• How can we tolerate one more day of this mass traumatization — for life — of thousands of innocent children?
• How can we find our voices to condemn as profoundly un-American what is happening in our country?